Prowler not bad? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: (Quote removed by God)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-20, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Cryptica
I will agree the prowler does suck in reality. In concept its cool. I mean, you can have your chaingun firing at one guy and the cannon at another. That's neat. Unfourtunately, in reality, that bonus is almost 100% defeated by its slow speed, lack of manuverability, and poor armor (relatively speaking). My first idea to improve it would be one of two things. 1) Make it faster than the van. A lot of people have said this, and I think it makes sense. 2) Increase the RoF on both the cannon and the guns. I mean really, the TR are supposedly all about massive RoF, right? Why not make it so the cannon fires like 2 shots per second? That would be neat. It's slightly faster than the Lightning tanks cannon, which fires around 1 to 1.5 per second, if my estimations are right.

Again, I think it would be really cool to have van and prowler the SAME speed, just because they are different empires, why does one hafta be faster? The van's heavy armor weighs it down just as much as the prowler's heavier guns.

Why not make it so the cannon fires like 2 shots per second? That would be neat.
Well, for one it already tears up EVERYTHING firing at the speed it does right now, in a straight out firefight, standing still, it will kill a van faster. Also, how does firing 100mm shells faster than a lightning sound balenced?

That 3rd gunner seat should not be required, but an asset if you can find a gunner, 100mm can fire 12mm if there is no 12mm gunner.
Old 2004-03-20, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

I agree with Eldanesh, it's no so much bad as... inefficient. If they matched it's speed with the Vanguard and slaved the twelve to the main gunner when it's unmanned I think the battle tanks would be extremely well balanced.

edit: I would hate for them to take out the twelve gunner completely though. It's a generally helpful thing to have around especially if you put a column commander in there, since then he doesn't have to worry about driving or concentrating on gunning, but can still contribute fire. Not to mention the fact that a column always has space to let a few standed guys in.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2004-03-20 at 05:58 AM.
Old 2004-03-20, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

If they matched it's speed with the Vanguard and slaved the twelve to the main gunner when it's unmanned
That would only work if you made the guns go at half the RoF or something, else you'd never get a 3rd gunner.

The Magrider is the dogs danglies at range. It also makes mince meat out of buggies and lightnings because it can actually hit them, even at medium to long distance. It also puts off reavers and can have a good shot at libs, gals and lodestars. Mag gunners complain that it takes 3 shots to kill infantry. Personally I feel it's a small price to pay.
Old 2004-03-20, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Doop
Major

Pffft. It's not that the Prowler's bad, it's just if it runs into a Mag or Vanguard, it gets served.
Old 2004-03-20, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

At close range it'll beat a magrider hands down.
Old 2004-03-20, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Doop
Major

True enough, but when a Magrider gets close range to a Prowler, if the driver knows jackshit about driving, he'll make a run for it at low health. Meh, overall, the Prowler just fucking sucks for a tank. If the Vanguard is supposed to be the strongest, and the Magrider's supposed to be the fastest, then the Prowler should have the most armor or something. And no, the Vanguard has more armor.
Old 2004-03-20, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Prowler has DPS and TTK, vna has highest samage per shot wiht most armor, prowler has med armor and highest damage output, should be same speed.
Old 2004-03-20, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
JakeLogan
Major

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is dropping the damage output and increasing the rof on the main guns. Besides as in my earlier argument if you go to get a prowler from the vehicle pad and read the paragraph describing it it says "The prowler has the most armor for a main battle tank" if they are gonna leave it like this it should at least be true......
Old 2004-03-20, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

*cough*

http://planetside.station.sony.com/howto/vehicles.jsp

Originally Posted by PlanetSide Manual Writers
The PROWLER is the largest main battle tank. Having the most armor for a tank and a 360-degree capable turret with dual 100mm heavy cannons, the Prowler is certainly able to devastate many targets in short order. The secondary gunner is able to control a dual rotary chaingun, which is a small turret atop the primary turret. Naturally the sheer size, weight and firepower of this tank makes it slower than any of the main battle tanks.
Seems that the Devs need to keep their word and give the Prowler the Vanguard's armor...or at the very least change their own website.
Old 2004-03-20, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
JakeLogan
Major

Originally Posted by Krinsath
*cough*

http://planetside.station.sony.com/howto/vehicles.jsp

Seems that the Devs need to keep their word and give the Prowler the Vanguard's armor...or at the very least change their own website.
pwned
Old 2004-03-20, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Well, if they give the prowler best armor then mebe van should get back its fastest ttk and dps...

I vote change the site.
Old 2004-03-20, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
worldvengence
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

i vote just swich the armor and be done with it, that would fix alot of the problem, cause if ur in a big enough battle, u actually got ppl fighting for Prowler gunner positions
Old 2004-03-20, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Krinsath
Quick and dirty solutions to the 1v1 imbalance with NC (it's a decent enough tank against the Mag):
Whoa, wait a second. A Vanguard vs a Prowler (with only a main gunner) will lose. Sure, the Vanguard has a 150 while the Prowler has a 100, but the Prowlers RoF more than makes up for it. In a "sit there shelling and don't move" slugfest, the Prowler will come out on top.

Trust me, I know this. I've driven a Prowler for months and I keep telling my gunners to simply not stop firing. Considering the Vanguards low profile and 150mm, and the Magriders straight firing and ability to hover over water, I think the MBT's are nicely balanced.
Old 2004-03-20, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Whoa, wait a second. A Vanguard vs a Prowler (with only a main gunner) will lose. Sure, the Vanguard has a 150 while the Prowler has a 100, but the Prowlers RoF more than makes up for it. In a "sit there shelling and don't move" slugfest, the Prowler will come out on top.
Kefka's right. 100 > 150 in just about every situation.
Old 2004-03-20, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Problem is that it's never a stand em up and slug it out fight. That's like saying nerf the mag's anti-air gun because it shoots down stationary aircraft too well.

Every Vanguard driver worth his salt moves, and I don't know what the heck is up with the Prowler's guns, but they have an insanely different feel from the 150 on the Van. The Prowler CAN be an effective tank, but with the right tactics, the Bolt Driver can be an effective CQB weapon.

In combat, the Prowler is outclassed against the Vanguard. In lab tests only is it competitive.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion