Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2004-10-29, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

l337 ninja or not?

Back in summer I stole my stepmoms camera and filmed some of my abilities with nun-chuku. Now I'm asking for an opinion on this. Impressive, or do I need to keep working on it? I have the opportunity to make a demonstration at a local karate academy but I may still need to brush up. Let me know what you think.

Apologies in advance for the low quality, sideways tilt and slightly repetitious nature of the video. Also, yeah, this is all a bit embarassing, and I'm expecting some degree of laughter at my expense, but I'll deal with it.

http://members.cox.net/thecovenant/nunchuku.WMV

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-10-29 at 06:14 PM.
Old 2004-10-29, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Roswell34
First Sergeant

1337 ninja =)
Old 2004-10-29, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

Not bad actually. I was loading it up expecting Star Wars Kid v2.0, but i was mildly imrpessed. Keep practicing.

This has also inspired me to record some of my work with the balisong.
Old 2004-10-29, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hezzy
Contributor
General

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA

Last edited by Hezzy; 2004-10-29 at 06:24 PM. Reason: HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA HA.
Old 2004-10-29, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Lumberjack Nunchuku.
Old 2004-10-29, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

Originally Posted by -Hezzy-
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA

Last edited by -Hezzy- : Today at 04:24 PM. Reason: HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH AHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA HA.

Old 2004-10-29, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

What the hell he is laughing at

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2004-10-29, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
ViperGTS
Banned

Heh not bad!
Old 2004-10-29, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

Originally Posted by Hamma
What the hell he is laughing at
No idea. I found the video kind of funny, but EF is prety skilled so i wasnt laughing too hard. I found it absoloutely hillarious that he edited his post to include "HAHAHA" though
Old 2004-10-29, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

That's some good chuking right there.

Chuks are the first weapon I learned, I've been doing them for about 23 years now... maybe a little less. So more so then Balisongs this is my weapon!

Your Devils swirls are great, very fluid and give that great illusion of the chuks being straight... awesome. Actually pretty much all your chain work is great.

the only thing I'd suggest is getting an oak pair of Chuks, I'm not sure what the one's you are using are, but they either look alluminum or Practice, either way the weight is off. Get a pair of good oak Octo cut chuks for heavy use, and then a set a rattan for practice, speed and Chain work.

Then the one bit of advise I got that made all the difference in the world, when I was 15 and had just won a local weapons demo contest, one of the judges asked me if I had ever hit anything with my chuks before. I said no...

go out, and Gently at first, learn to actually hit with them (on a heavy bag is best). It will make all your forms look much more natural and give a sense that you understand the nature of the weapon much better. If you don't wack yourself on the knuckles the first time you probably aren't doing it right

And just ecause it's my civic responsibility to say so... rember that Cops no what chuks can do. They are very afraid of them, and with good reason. A nunchuku in good hands, and even amateur hands can exert nearly 300 psi preasure at impact. All the police I know will shoot you faster for having chuks then any other weapon except a gun... Just FYI
Old 2004-10-29, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Indecisive
Major General

EF' has like no body fat, I wouldnt mess wif him and his nunchucks. (which he told us about at PSUMA)

however....why is the picture sideways? /me throws nunchucks at camera

Last edited by Indecisive; 2004-10-29 at 08:04 PM.
Old 2004-10-29, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Pilgrim
That's some good chuking right there.

Chuks are the first weapon I learned, I've been doing them for about 23 years now... maybe a little less. So more so then Balisongs this is my weapon!

Your Devils swirls are great, very fluid and give that great illusion of the chuks being straight... awesome. Actually pretty much all your chain work is great.

the only thing I'd suggest is getting an oak pair of Chuks, I'm not sure what the one's you are using are, but they either look alluminum or Practice, either way the weight is off. Get a pair of good oak Octo cut chuks for heavy use, and then a set a rattan for practice, speed and Chain work.

Then the one bit of advise I got that made all the difference in the world, when I was 15 and had just won a local weapons demo contest, one of the judges asked me if I had ever hit anything with my chuks before. I said no...

go out, and Gently at first, learn to actually hit with them (on a heavy bag is best). It will make all your forms look much more natural and give a sense that you understand the nature of the weapon much better. If you don't wack yourself on the knuckles the first time you probably aren't doing it right

And just ecause it's my civic responsibility to say so... rember that Cops no what chuks can do. They are very afraid of them, and with good reason. A nunchuku in good hands, and even amateur hands can exert nearly 300 psi preasure at impact. All the police I know will shoot you faster for having chuks then any other weapon except a gun... Just FYI
I'm self-taught, at least with nun-chukas. I really need to learn some good katas. I used to know one, but I'm not sure I remember it very well.

My nun-chuks I have currently are wood with a fiberglass wrap. They have fairly nice ball bearing chain connects, but I could definately do with a better pair. They are fairly hefty and so its hard to get a lot of speed with them, but they have pretty nice momentum and its easy to keep them going. In order to get significantly faster I would need to get a lighter pair, as these ones can be quite painful when you mess up. These are the only pair I've really practiced with, so when I was starting out learning a few years back I had quite a few painful experiences. ::Winces::

Only once or twice have I practiced on a bag. Indeed, figuring out how to deal with them when they bouce back off the target is something I need to develop. I often have trouble resuming my twirls after hitting a target, because the chain gets wrapped around my hand. I'll definately have to work on it.

As for the thing about cops, yeah, I know a cop and he has made it clear to me the stance the Police Dept. has towards nun-chukas. I guess there used to be gangs and some riots where nun-chukas were employed and a lot of police were badly injured. Its difficult to react to a nun-chukas attack, and very difficult to block with anything other than a riot shield. A tonfa baton doesn't hold up very well against them either. I take care in where I bring those babies, I really don't relish the idea of being arrested.

Thanks for the generally good feedback from everyone so far. I was expecting more posts like Hezzy's actually. I'm going to probably work on my form a bit more before I go and do a demonstration. I'll probably go and see a weapons master at the academy for a few more pointers before I go showing off, but I'm glad to hear that I give a good impression.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-10-29 at 09:26 PM.
Old 2004-10-29, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sputty
Banned

pointy stick > crazy ninja chained sticks
Old 2004-10-29, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Jennyboo
Mrs. Hamma

Leet
Old 2004-10-29, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rayder
General

Misc Info

Needs moar nun-chuku spinning on foot while doing a headstand.

Last edited by Rayder; 2004-10-29 at 09:56 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge