TR Infiltrator questions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beware - Reavers!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-02-19, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
OCNSethy
Major

TR Infiltrator questions

Not such a new player... however

I really have not played the Infiltrator class much but after watching Jenny Boo’s video (http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=52978 ), I got all inspired and decided to give it a go.

I had some serious fun last night as an infil and decided to put some more time and certs into this class for my char.

After starting off with the TR default rifle, the 99SV, I decided it sucked, so I moved to the M77-B Bolt action and had a much more enjoyable time.

I understand from what I have read that bolt action rifles are the only way to go as a sniper, so my questions follow…

1) In your opinion, which is the most accurate of the TR BAR’s?

The wiki only lists three, the M77, SR7 and the TSAR 42. Which would you recommend?

2) Any recommendations on a scope?

3) Also, what would you recommend as far as ‘must have’ certs?

I have terminal Hacking and nano armour to level 3, nano cloaking to level 2 and a med kit.

4) What is the difference between Hunter Cloaking Device and Nano-Armour Cloaking?

Thanks and see you out there…
Old 2013-02-19, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Re: TR Infiltrator questions

There's also a fourth bolt action, the RAMS .50. I don't know much about TR sniper rifles, but the ones I see most out there are the M77-B and the RAMS .50. The latter is the TR's high calibre rifle, it does more damage and has a faster bullet velocity (only have to adjust for drop beyond 100m), but reloads slower.

Scopes, like sights, are entirely personal preference. Some people like going all the way to 12x, some people (like me) prefer to go with a 10x (and some probably like less). Unfortunately you can't try them out before you buy (yet, hopefully that's coming with the VR training), so that's kind of annoying.

Hunter cloak is the default, nano armour cloak reduces damage taken while cloaked but drains energy from it, or something like that. I don't even know if anyone even uses it.

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2013-02-19 at 06:27 PM.
Old 2013-02-19, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
OCNSethy
Major

Thanks Shade. That is really helpful, much appreciated.

I found a stat sheet you supplied in another thread here and the RAMS looks to do 50 damage units (800) over the others (750). So I might try that one out... you can never have enough guns

Any ideas what the default scopes are set at? I could do with a tad more magnification with the M77 Im using currently.
Old 2013-02-20, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
AnuErebus
Private

Rifles depend a bit on what you like.

-M77-B is a solid rifle, it just has more bullet drop than the SR-7 and RAMs-50 but it also takes less time to use the bolt meaning follow-up shots are easier. A very solid rifle and if you have no trouble hitting people with it then it might be worth simply keeping it and saving money/certs you would otherwise use for the other rifles. If you find the bullet drop annoying see the SR-7 and RAMS .50.

-TSAR-42 is the M77-B with close range scopes that you're probably already familiar with if you use weapons for any of the other classes. Although it doesn't have the nightvision scope, but personally that's not much of a drawback. If you plan on sniping at closer ranges though, as much fun as this weapon is, the KSR-35 (Short-range variant of the 99sv) and the HSR-1 (Semi-auto scout rifle) might be a bit better suited for this kind of action.

-SR-7 has a higher bullet velocity but the follow-up shot is slightly slower (Not as slow as the RAMS .50 however). This is a rifle I do not actual have so I cannot say much in regards to how it compares. I do know a few people that swear by it though since they find the RAMS to be slow.

-RAMS .50 is the big daddy rifle. It has high bullet velocity and hits for 50 more damage. The only downside is it has a longer time between shots. I think the only thing that will prevent a headshot kill from this rifle is a shielded heavy. And even then I've downed a few with their shields up. The rifle also has a ridiculously flat trajectory and a high bullet velocity making it pretty easy to line up shots. This is also the only high mag sniper I will comfortably use a suppressor on. The suppressor is quite situational but it makes this rifle only slightly worse than the M77-B in terms of bullet drop so it can still be used comfortably with anywhere from a 6-8x scope.

I think Shade nailed any advice about scopes I could give. They are very much a user preference. I use anywhere from the 6x(default) to the 10x. Only one I don't use is the 12x, but I know plenty of people who do.

CERTS:

In regards to certs. I think you picked up the first thing easily enough. Medkits are amazing. Then I'd say your nanoweave certs are solid but you may consider the ammunition bandolier since it'll give you a lot more ammo to play with on the longer killstreaks.

-Hunter cloak is the better of the two cloaks, simply due to the increased recharge. The more you can hide and use your cloak, the less damage you'll take from being discovered. Nano-Armor is more reactionary while Hunter cloak is preventative.

-Hacking is always important, especially if you run with an outfit.

Starting out I'd get any of those upgrades until they start costing 200+ for a level and then only get them as you feel you need them/have extra certs to spend. The more optional, but no less useful certs are:

-Recon Device, it looks stupid on the surface but once you're comfortably certed into other things leveling this up will give you a lot more situational awareness since you can know where any nearby enemies are. Also, it sticks to anything, friendlies, enemies, vehicles, terrain so you can use clueless players to transport your detention sphere around.

-Claymores, if you don't find yourself using medkits often, these things can be deadly. They aren't as easily hidden as bouncing betties or proxy mines but they do more damage in the direction their facing. Some consider these to be a guaranteed 2 kills if you can set them up properly.

Honestly, the only "bad" certs spent on an infiltrator I feel are Nano-armor, Advanced shield capacitor, Flak armor, grenade bandolier and the two alternative grenades. Everything else does nothing but improve your character.

Cloak Differences:

The difference between Hunter and Nano-Armor is that hunter upgrades to have a shorter charging time, meaning you can cloak more often. Nano-armor slightly reduces damage while damage also drastically depletes the cloak's power and upgrading it doesn't reduce the charge time, only increases damage reduction. I personally don't find Nano-armor that useful. As I mentioned hunter is more suited to a preventative style of approach while nano is reactionary.

Hopefully that answers your questions in a fairly detailed manner. I don't profess to be a pro infiltrator but I do play the class a fair bit and have a lot of fun with it. These are simply my personal observations and preferences.

Last edited by AnuErebus; 2013-02-20 at 01:19 AM.
Old 2013-02-20, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Koadster
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post

Scopes, like sights, are entirely personal preference. Some people like going all the way to 12x, some people (like me) prefer to go with a 10x (and some probably like less). Unfortunately you can't try them out before you buy (yet, hopefully that's coming with the VR training), so that's kind of annoying.
You can test them out... Make an alt and just let it gather certs ! I got a second TR guy who I just let gain passive certs... When I wanna try out a scope or attachment for a gun I jump on him, unlock it and go fight a battle or two. If I dont like it no loss I didnt waste any certs on my main.

Also pro tip, weapon trails are only tied to characters so having this testing alt you can trail a gun for 1 hour !

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR
Old 2013-02-20, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
OCNSethy
Major

Thanks folks, everyone has been most helpful and I appreciate the time you've spend answering these questions for me.

Now, all I have to do is fine some time in RL to get in and have a good play with all your suggestions
Old 2013-02-22, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Koadster View Post
You can test them out... Make an alt and just let it gather certs ! I got a second TR guy who I just let gain passive certs... When I wanna try out a scope or attachment for a gun I jump on him, unlock it and go fight a battle or two. If I dont like it no loss I didnt waste any certs on my main.

Also pro tip, weapon trails are only tied to characters so having this testing alt you can trail a gun for 1 hour !
This is great advice, I didnt know it was tied to a character. I think Ill create another TR for trying out new stuff.

Thanks!
Old 2013-03-04, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Derek Icelord
Private

This thread on the official SoE boards offers an excellent insight into the Infiltrator class.
Old 2013-03-06, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by Derek Icelord View Post
This thread on the official SoE boards offers an excellent insight into the Infiltrator class.
Thanks man, Ill look it up.
Old 2013-03-08, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BIGGByran
Staff Sergeant

I run infil quite a bit, but its situational like all classes.

Rifles:
a)As far as rifles, I would go with the highest damage and highest bullet velocity. RAM .50 I seen used quite a bit by TR. I have the LA80 (50 less damage and bullet velocity than the Longshot, but I ended up getting the LA80 because it was the best at the time but then they released the Longshot, but the 50 doesn't make to much of a difference). Headshots are the way to go, and follow up shots aren't to hard to do once you learn your bullet drop of the weapon.

b)I use 12x scope to get better headshots at range. Lately I have been sniping at roughtly 180-210 meters away, have to adjust for bullet drop. Again, very easy to adjust after a few shots and learning the bullet drop at that range.

c) I use stock scope with a silencer when I have to snipe at close range, roughly <100 meters. The reason for stock scope is, I get more view on whats in front of me and any range outside of stock scope range, I would have to compensate for bullet drop way to much. One time I was within 30meters of a sundy, sniping everyone that was spawning (this was before the spawn exp reduction) and I could not be found. Ofcourse I was in a bush with good matching camo. I could hear the enemies around me and maxs shooting right next to me and never got discovered. Ran out of ammo and ended up killing 4 more with my pistol and knife at their sundy, till I took a friendly rocket to the face.

Armor:
I have nanoweave armor cause I do plan on getting in close at times, but if you plan to stay at range at all times with the class then go with Ammo clips.

Util:
Unless you get in close range, Med Kits might be better, just in case you take a shot from another sniper. The Bolt action snipers are 2 shot kill, so the med kit will help. If you plan on getting close then either is better. Just depends on the situation again. Sometimes med kit is better sometimes mines are.

Grenades:
I certed into Decoy Grenades but out of the 8x I used it. I seen it work once.

Hacking:
Meh, if your gonna stay at range, it isn't really worth it. generally you hack when it is safe to. If you plan on getting close at times. It is ok to put a few points into it.

Tool:
I didn't put any points into it, just try to be aware of my surroundings and use it often when I am near an engineer. This tool is kinda useless when there is so much crap on your mini map. it just becomes a cluster fuck of icons. only time this is useful if the mini map isn't clustered or until you can toggle some of the icons off the mini map.

Cloaking:
I didn't really put any points into this, but I think I will. I "wisely" use my cloaking. "knowing" when to cloak and when I can just run in the open without it.

Last edited by BIGGByran; 2013-03-08 at 06:59 PM.
Old 2013-03-10, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
OCNSethy
Major

Thanks BIGGByran,

Ive been trying out a 12x scope for the last few nights and I quiet like the extra magnification. Ive also purchased a suppressor for added stealth. I like the RAMs and learning to adjust my aim to account for bullet drop is challenging but Im getting there.

Yeah, nothing more satisfying than getting that headshot notification on long distance shot. Especially when you counter-sniping.

Medkits are a must for me, Im usually out of the way with little in the way of medic support.

Thanks for you input, really appreciate it.
Old 2013-03-11, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I just wanted to drop in here and stick up for the 99SV.. I've just started on the Infiltrator Challange. Completed the RAM .50 and started on the 99SV.

At first i felt that it was a big step down. The straight up ability to 1 hit kill is a big thing to lose... But what people don't understand is that you can kill with two head shots all the time, or a headshot and a body shot most the time. The recoil on the gun after the first shot will always put you back to the exact point you had previously if you wait just long enough.. and the time between shots so low that the target 95% of the time wouldn't have time to react anyway. You have 10 shots in a clip, so lots of chances to pick off multiple targets. Fully upgraded with Ammo packs it gives you 100.. yes 100 shots. You can easily manage 30-40 kills if you are conservative with your ammo. The bullet drop isn't hugely different from the RAM 50 at mid to long range (where the 99SV excels) so it didn't take much getting used to.

I started on it yesterday and hit about 600 kills and was second on daily kills for Waterson, which is better than anything i have done with the RAM .50. It might just be that it suits my play style a bit more.. but the more i use it the more i think it might end up being my default. Its also amazing in close combat scenarios, which is something i find myself in a lot. Against other snipers unless they get a head shot on you they are dead, very useful when you are fighting for the rock bridge by the crown .

It also has some pretty impressive DPS, you can take a max down pretty quickly if its about half health. Maybe my view will change when i start working through all the other rifles.. but at the moment its my number 1 just ahead of the RAM .50.

Last edited by Snipefrag; 2013-03-11 at 05:30 AM.
Old 2013-03-11, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
OCNSethy
Major

Thanks Snipefrag,

Thats some interesting observations. I might go back and try it again, now that I have some BAR experience behind me. What scope do you use on the 99SV?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions