Compatability - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I got lead pipe. Any knees need breaking?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-10-15, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Spearka
Private

Compatability

So I finally managed to play Planetside after Months of waiting but unfortunately, I am quite disappointed over what happens

Why?

Because, even on the lowest quality settings (that includes rendering) it requires FAR too much RAM memory to actually play it , this means that it continously freezes and eventually crashes before i do anything good .
Specs are these
Windows Vista Home Premium
Pentium Dual Core 2.6GHz
2GB RAM
64-Bit System
ATI Radeon HD 4350

So i would like to suggest (or remind) to make the game a bit more low-spec friendly, that is all

(copied from idea vault because it may not have been appropriate forum)
Old 2012-10-15, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Compatability

Yeah, I think your comp is going to need higher specs in general for this game. I get around 40FPS in low activity and 15-20FPS big battles.

My spec:
6 GB RAM
Radeon HD 6770
Phenom II x4 940

Of course, they haven't finished optimization, so it'll still get slightly better.

Last edited by Aaron; 2012-10-15 at 02:14 PM.
Old 2012-10-15, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Your specs are way below what is recommended hence your awful performance. Not saying you need the best of the best, but yours isn't going to cut it.
Old 2012-10-15, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shenyen
Private

@Spearka
Hm, the system you posted was already low-end when it was released.

In 2008...

The Radeon 4350 was meant as a graphics card for HTPCs, displaying video and maybe some older games (games that were old in 2008!), it cost just about 40$, while better graphics cards like the Radeon 4850 cost about 250$+.

Even with the those 250$+ cards, you have some problems with modern games, often using lower resolutions and lower settings.

With the 4350, you had to use those lower settings and resolutionbs from day 1^^

If you had a Radeon 4850/4870 or a GTX260, you would be able to play the game with medium settings and resolution of 1280x1024 (I doubt, that your display supports more), maybe you would have to add another 2 gigs of RAM.

But with that graphics card - there is no hope to play the game with enjoyable performance.

I am not perfectly sure, but I'd guess that even modern integrated graphics like the Intel HD 4000 would be on par or even better than your GPU.

And while the Intel HD 4000 may be sufficient for some games with older technology, like Counter-Strike:Global Operations, Planetside 2 is a game with newer technology and a different target audience.

While i love Valve for making CS:GO run on my MacBook (with Intel HD4000), i would never expect from SOE to adapt PS2 to that GPU, because modern games just won't work on that performance level.

Maybe you can add more RAM and a GPU like the Radeon 5770 to your system - it won't run great, but it will run okay.
Without these improvements, there is no way that PS2 will run acceptable.
Old 2012-10-15, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Wait, is he talking about PS or PS2?

Needs to be put in the correct forum...

Also OP - get off Vista. It's the most shittiest operating system to use.
Old 2012-10-15, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Spearka
Private

I've noticed that you have been suggesting improving the RAM or general systems, i can simply react in this way
I CAN'T
I simply don't have the money nor patience to completely replace the systems, not even a Windows upgrade
so i can either wait for PS2 to be low-spec friendly (as i heard them promise :P)
or i can just leave the game i waited for months in utter disappointment
Old 2012-10-15, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Spearka View Post
I've noticed that you have been suggesting improving the RAM or general systems, i can simply react in this way
I CAN'T
I simply don't have the money nor patience to completely replace the systems, not even a Windows upgrade
so i can either wait for PS2 to be low-spec friendly (as i heard them promise :P)
or i can just leave the game i waited for months in utter disappointment
Low spec is probably considered a high end system from like 2007/8. Your system was low end around that time.

You can try a GPU/RAM upgrade, but that CPU is going to be holding you back a lot. I know I'm sounding like an ass, but this not SOE's problem its your own. If you cannot keep up with the demands of gaming and tech evolves you either have to settle for less demanding games or play on consoles. I understand not everyone has the money for this, but PC gaming can be a expensive hobby unfortunately.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-10-15 at 07:20 PM.
Old 2012-10-15, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Shenyen
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Low spec is probably considered a high end system from like 2007/8. Your system was low end around that time.
Exactly!

With high end systems from 2008 you can still play with decent framerate and medium graphics settings.

You won't be able to play in FullHD resolutions, but if you are still using your 2008-rig, i doubt that you one of those "enthusiasts" who bought FullHD monitors in 2007.

19" or at maximum 22" (1680x1050) displays are the way to go with 2008 high end systems.

But 2008 low end systems - and every AMD (former ATI) Radeon graphics card with a number below 6 at the second position (like Radeon 4650 - x6xx) is a low to medium-performance card (the lower the number, the lower the performance) - are just not the target audience for a modern large scale combat FPS.

Play CS:GO - it may not feature the large battles, but it is also a very good game - and unlike Planetside 2, it especially caters to players with lower end systems.
Old 2013-03-06, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Spearka
Private

okay, i know i am bumping this thread but i have a little update
first, i replaced the graphics card with a Geforce GT 630, it isn't the best, but it does the job, secondly i changed the draw distance to 750 as opposed to the whole map, the performace has increased, but to work reliably, i cannot go on populated maps (narrowing the continent down to Amerish) and cannot attend large battles
so i would like to ask the same question, how else can i make performance increase, note i will NEVER EVER accept "play another game" this isn't in any way advice and is more "your computer is crap, go away"
Old 2013-03-06, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
OCNSethy
Major

okay, i know i am bumping this thread but i have a little update
first, i replaced the graphics card with a Geforce GT 630, it isn't the best, but it does the job, secondly i changed the draw distance to 750 as opposed to the whole map, the performace has increased, but to work reliably, i cannot go on populated maps (narrowing the continent down to Amerish) and cannot attend large battles
so i would like to ask the same question, how else can i make performance increase, note i will NEVER EVER accept "play another game" this isn't in any way advice and is more "your computer is crap, go away"
Feel you pain bro but the simple fact is that this game is highly CPU dependent, throw in your limited RAM and there is not anywhere else to go.

All I can suggest is take all your settings to low and try playing as a sniper. That way, your usually out of the way of the major troop / vehicle movements and your PC is only attempting to render what is in your scope... TBH, Im guessing... IDK if that will even work.
Old 2013-03-06, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Silent Thunder
Staff Sergeant

The simple fact is that if you haven't upgraded your RAM or CPU, there is little we can do to help. The fact is that Vista alone will take up a good chunk of your 2GB, and a CPU with only 2 cores at 2.6GHZ is again not something that really can be worked around.

Many people who are OCing at 4+ GHZ are having performance issues in some of the largest battles. I'm sorry, but there is no magic bullet that will make the game start running well on a system like that. It's a resource heavy game that can bring modern mid-range gaming PCs to their knees (well, to 20fps in major battles, but you get the point).

To be honest 2GB of RAM hasn't been acceptable in a gaming computer for quite a long time at this point, especially since you can get an 8GB stick for around $50-60.

Last edited by Silent Thunder; 2013-03-06 at 08:44 PM.
Old 2013-03-07, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Spearka
Private

Originally Posted by Silent Thunder View Post
The simple fact is that if you haven't upgraded your RAM or CPU, there is little we can do to help. The fact is that Vista alone will take up a good chunk of your 2GB, and a CPU with only 2 cores at 2.6GHZ is again not something that really can be worked around.

Many people who are OCing at 4+ GHZ are having performance issues in some of the largest battles. I'm sorry, but there is no magic bullet that will make the game start running well on a system like that. It's a resource heavy game that can bring modern mid-range gaming PCs to their knees (well, to 20fps in major battles, but you get the point).

To be honest 2GB of RAM hasn't been acceptable in a gaming computer for quite a long time at this point, especially since you can get an 8GB stick for around $50-60.
do you mean chip? because if you still mean stick then i must say there is a massive difference between hard drive and RAM

and IMO i did not make this thread just to hear anyone blabbing on about hardware upgrades and "your computer is crap" comments
Old 2013-03-07, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Elstar
Private

do you mean chip? because if you still mean stick then i must say there is a massive difference between hard drive and RAM

and IMO i did not make this thread just to hear anyone blabbing on about hardware upgrades and "your computer is crap" comments
Spearka,

I am not trying to burst your bubble, but I have tried PS2 with much better systems than yours..ie i5 system with 8gb ram, but because the graphics was not up to snuff it didn't run as expected.

So instead of trying to dwindle all of the settings down to an unbearable range I had to upgrade, plain and simple.

If I want to experience the game the way it should be experienced then I am the one who has to make that decision and fork out the cash for it, or just not play it at all.

Now there are many suggestions in this thread about your OS.

Vista is a resource hog plain and simple.

It will take what little bit of Ram you have consume it and not release it the way it is supposed to.

If you change your OS to XP, you may (slight chance as it is) see some improvement.

If you can't do that or are unwilling to do that, then there is no more point to this thread being continued.

Let me put it to you this way...

Would you hop on the back of a dog and expect it to be able to carry you 100 miles? No you would jump on a horse....or better yet a car.

You may have to come to the realization that you can't play PS2 on that system...sorry
Old 2013-03-07, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Silent Thunder
Staff Sergeant

The terms chip and stick are both interchangable for RAM. And again, it doesn't matter what you do or don't want to hear, the fact is you are essentially trying to pull a freight train with a pickup truck, and no amount of tweaking the freight is going to make it able to be pulled by the pickup.
Old 2013-03-07, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Spearka
Private

Originally Posted by Elstar View Post
Spearka,

I am not trying to burst your bubble, but I have tried PS2 with much better systems than yours..ie i5 system with 8gb ram, but because the graphics was not up to snuff it didn't run as expected.

So instead of trying to dwindle all of the settings down to an unbearable range I had to upgrade, plain and simple.

If I want to experience the game the way it should be experienced then I am the one who has to make that decision and fork out the cash for it, or just not play it at all.

Now there are many suggestions in this thread about your OS.

Vista is a resource hog plain and simple.

It will take what little bit of Ram you have consume it and not release it the way it is supposed to.

If you change your OS to XP, you may (slight chance as it is) see some improvement.

If you can't do that or are unwilling to do that, then there is no more point to this thread being continued.

Let me put it to you this way...

Would you hop on the back of a dog and expect it to be able to carry you 100 miles? No you would jump on a horse....or better yet a car.

You may have to come to the realization that you can't play PS2 on that system...sorry

I am not trying to burst your bubble
you just did, playing PS2 is not about getting/upgrading to massive flashy computers with giant processors running on your own soul, it is about having fun, and i just asked how can i make this more effecient and/or a suggestion to make things more system-friendly, other MMO's do this well and i do not see why this cannot

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions