Email from a player....7 word answer - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The happiest place on earth.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Email from a player....7 word answer

7 words.... Wep Pin Cuss Tim My Zay Shun

nuff said

My thoughts about something in the new Cycler's design.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

TL;DR: please consider flipping the gas tube and barrel positions in the Cycler's design. It's probably a simple change, and the high barrel, low sights design is both outdated and counterproductive for a rapid-firing (typical for TR weaponry, possibly in PS2 as well) assault rifle.

Sorry to bother you, but something has been bothering me about the new Cycler's design ever since I first saw it. Nothing too significant, but something you might want to look into before PS2's content lock, or the inevitable Crunch Time[TM], kick in.

Basically, the barrel is positioned too high for a modern, practical assault rifle. This is especially relevant due to the TR's emphasis towards rate of fire (even though the STANAG-ish magazines don't suggest a high ammo capacity, I suspect the TR's tendency towards high RoF remained from PS1).

Nowadays, assault rifles tend to have their barrels more-or-less in line with the stock, for practical reasons, much like the very modern-looking NC assault rifle (is it still Gauss/conventional hybrid?).

I'm under the impression that the old M14 battle rifle was one of the inspirations behind the new Cycler. The way such rifles were designed, with the barrel placed above the stock and with relatively short iron-sights, caused significant upwards kick when firing.
This video, around 2:40 to 3:10, describes the issue in some detail:

Now, I think the Cycler's design can be very simply made compliant with more contemporary weapons design (it is the future, after all), just by flipping the positions of the gas tube and barrel. In the trailer (especially at 0:40-0:41) the muzzle flash seems to be pretty low, well suited for a lower barrel, making this change seem a bit simpler.

Ideally, the gas tube could be connected with the barrel at an angle, just like in the iconic AK-series assault rifles:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...1/18/AK_47.JPG
Creating such a similarity towards the Soviet AK-47 and its successors could be pretty awesome in itself, as it might augment the imperialistic "feel" of the TR faction.

The gas tube could also be shortened to be just barely visible in front of the Cycler's body, with the front sight right on top of it, just like in the German G3 battle rifle and its derivatives:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../c/cc/G3a3.gif

Working in the industry and having close ties to people in gamedev itself, I know that editing content can be difficult from an organizational perspective, but not impossible. Please take my suggestion under consideration, as, however cosmetic, I think it may benefit the look and feel of the TR.

Also, slapping a RIS/RAS rail or two on the sides wouldn't hurt. I'm assuming Vanu rifles use tractor beams or other mumbo-jumbo for scopes and other addons, and therefore don't need rails, but who could understand you Vanu folk? :P

As an ending statement, I totally love what you guys are doing. I haven't played PlanetSide much in a long time (due to relatively high ping from Poland to the USA now that Werner is gone, mostly), and PlanetSide 2 is a beacon of hope for me. I check Planetside Universe and Youtube for new content many times a day, hoping to find a new sliver of information to sustain me until the beta.
The art direction in particular is absolutely brilliant - both modern, futuristic and reasonable - when I saw the Vanguard and the Galaxy my mind was absolutely blown! I can't wait to see more screenshots depicting the fruits of your work.

Best regards,
Firek
Old 2011-07-23, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MgFalcon
Captain

Re: Email from a player....7 word answer

First

I'm reading post now, I just havnt done a "first" post in a while
Old 2011-07-23, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

It took me two tries to sound out your first line.

Thanks for posting this. yay.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

2 tries..... lol. At least you got it

I like to keep em short and guessing
Old 2011-07-23, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raymac
Brigadier General

T-Ray, I didn't know you could speak chinese. You should ditch the Vanu for the NC.....oh wait, I see what you did there.
Old 2011-07-23, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MgFalcon
Captain

T-Ray, wana share any HA photos with us?

Or at least tell me if I still can shoot disco balls in PS2
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Ditch Vanu?!!! HA over your dead body

Vanu-Foe-Life
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

I refuse to share photos with someone who likes to shoot balls. Lord knows what could happen to those images lol.....
Old 2011-07-23, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
T-Ray, wana share any HA photos with us?

Or at least tell me if I still can shoot disco balls in PS2
Yes! Must see MCG.

And I'm still waiting to ask "why did you guys show us this first trailer?"

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-23 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2011-07-23, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Robert089
Sergeant

So we are going to be able to customise weapons to the point where they look different? Cool.

I simply thought it would be a +ROF -DMG +AIM sort of thing and maybe scopes. If I can tell some guy has his gun pimped out for a specific task just by looking at it that would be awesome.
Old 2011-07-23, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
CutterJohn
Colonel

Is this a subtle hint to stfu and let you do your job?
Old 2011-07-23, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Give me your email so I can forward you humorous pictures of felines.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-23, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

HA! it took me a long time to realize what you were trying to say, but i finally got it.

and I will give you my own 7 word phrase

Give me that fricken kickass traileryourpromised us.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

2 things....
I'm never subtle
AND
I would never tell anyone to STFU all pov have some validity.

also, Don't worry, We got this..
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by krnasaur View Post
HA! it took me a long time to realize what you were trying to say, but i finally got it.

and I will give you my own 7 word phrase

Give me that fricken kickass traileryourpromised us.
In due time sir...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion