15 minute re-secure. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is the website you're looking for.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-26, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
xcel
Corporal

15 minute re-secure.

When I was eagerly watching the gameplay demo of Higby playing Planetside 2, I couldn't help but notice that the base capture was rather quick. Now we don't know exactly how long the devs were playing in the specific base for, but when Higby went into that base it seemed like there was no 15 minute re-secure. This worries me because the 15 minute re-secure mechanic was important, in regards to tactics and gameplay captivity, of Planetside and it saddens me that it might be stripped away in favor of an instant base cap. Thoughts?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-26, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: 15 minute re-secure.

It was simulated for the GDC demo; those were not the real capture mechanics.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
While I don't think any of us can say how long a base hack will be. I would note that what was captured was not the base itself but the spawn room (from my observation).

Even so, as Malorn pointed out. Mechanics displayed in GDC were probably sped up for demonstration purposes.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by xcel View Post
When I was eagerly watching the gameplay demo of Higby playing Planetside 2, I couldn't help but notice that the base capture was rather quick. Now we don't know exactly how long the devs were playing in the specific base for, but when Higby went into that base it seemed like there was no 15 minute re-secure. This worries me because the 15 minute re-secure mechanic was important, in regards to tactics and gameplay captivity, of Planetside and it saddens me that it might be stripped away in favor of an instant base cap. Thoughts?

The mechanic was sped up for the Demo. Capturing will be proximity based and affected by how many players are within that proximity. For example, if it's 15 feet, then a hack will be initiated if an enemy is within 15 feet of the control console. Each additional enemy within that proximity will decrease the time it takes to complete the hack. I would imagine that this would also be counter balanced by the number of friendlies in that proximity as well.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-03-26, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the mechanics completely changed in PS2. For example, it was mentionned that the base was divided in strategic parts with different objectives. It was also mentionned that the troops defending would not be able to spawn inside the base once it was under hack.

So the whole base could become some kind of no-man's land during the time of the hack with the fights having as much importance outside (battle for the spawn points) and inside (battle to defend or stop the hack).

It might get quite interesting during a hack since the defenders will be forced to take back initiative and force the attackers to take the defenders' role for X minutes.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Do you have PROOF of this Mdawg? I want to agree man as I love you and your always constructive, but I don't recall anyone saying it was a place holding mechanic.

And yes its 2:40pm and ive been drinking lol.

Last edited by Synapses; 2012-03-26 at 03:40 PM.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The mechanic was sped up for the Demo. Capturing will be proximity based and affected by how many players are within that proximity. For example, if it's 15 feet, then a hack will be initiated if an enemy is within 15 feet of the control console. Each additional enemy within that proximity will decrease the time it takes to complete the hack. I would imagine that this would also be counter balanced by the number of friendlies in that proximity as well.
Those are interesting statements and choices of words.

Capturing versus hacking are different things. And as far as has been said Infiltrators are the only class that can hack, the wording used being that they're "the hacking class".

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-26, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Evil, what about the say a single or multiple cloakers that are totally invisible while the area capture is going through... Dont you think that would be a little unfair as we have no word on detecting those true cloakers?

On a side note: How AWESOME would it be if cloakers got the ability to walk on walls via a walk suction device sort of like we see in the Alien VS Predator games? Yes I have been drinking, but its an entertaining thought to think of.

Last edited by Synapses; 2012-03-26 at 03:52 PM.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Capturing versus hacking are different things. And as far as has been said Infiltrators are the only class that can hack, the wording used being that they're "the hacking class".
Infils are only one that can hack terminals. There was no change/bonus for them to hacking base. So i expect hackers wont be needed to capture base.

Capturing by players nearby? No way. There was no hint of that. Capturing timers will be influenced by surrounding territories. Like 5 min if you get all, 15min half, 30 min none.
Where did you get it was number of players?
Old 2012-03-26, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Infils are only one that can hack terminals. There was no change/bonus for them to hacking base. So i expect hackers wont be needed to capture base.

Capturing by players nearby? No way. There was no hint of that. Capturing timers will be influenced by surrounding territories. Like 5 min if you get all, 15min half, 30 min none.
Where did you get it was number of players?
They'll be necessary to pass any shields, therefore necessary in capturing bases.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-26, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ThGlump
Captain

I dont think so. They wont make one class necessary to capture base. Not with all that simplification route theyre taking. Shields will just hold vehicles like in PS1. If you want their support you disable shield generators, but anyone could do that. Infils will have it easier to do it before main force fight their way there.
Old 2012-03-26, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mackenz
Private

Originally Posted by Synapses View Post
Do you have PROOF of this Mdawg? I want to agree man as I love you and your always constructive, but I don't recall anyone saying it was a place holding mechanic.

And yes its 2:40pm and ive been drinking lol.
Planetside 2 - GDC First Gameplay Part 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=ikSRA46-Ug8

Hacking shields: ~7:12 time mark

Base capture: ~1:40 time mark

Although not said specifically about base capture (the shields needing hacking is however), the whole capture mechanic in the demo - that a few guys go in through those non-hacked shields and the base flips - I believe it is pretty clear that that is staged.

What the actual mechanics are I don't know though.
Old 2012-03-26, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Those are interesting statements and choices of words.

When allowed to do so, I will clarify information verbatim. However, I too have to interpret information based on what I am told. My intention is always to help others understand things as they develop and as with everything, it is early and much can and will change.

This has been my understanding of the how capturing will work. At this point, no REK is needed. No specific class is needed. Infiltrators will be the "Hackers" of the game, as hinted about the way generators would work. This is likely to be some form of overload.

As for the "flag" style of capture mechanic, it has it's pros and cons. Old school players may complain because that is simply not how it worked before, but it is likely that the amount of time needed for a solo player will be significant, as to prevent "ghost hacking". I imagine the time needed will be cut drastically when you get closer to a squad sized number of enemy.

Old 2012-03-26, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ThGlump
Captain

As for the "flag" style of capture mechanic, it has it's pros and cons. Old school players may complain because that is simply not how it worked before, but it is likely that the amount of time needed for a solo player will be significant, as to prevent "ghost hacking". I imagine the time needed will be cut drastically when you get closer to a squad sized number of enemy.
Ghost hacking is prevented by different timers based on surrounding territories. If you have whole squad sitting on the CC just to made it shorter, you killing any chance of proper defense in chokepoints etc, making capturing base harder.
Timers based on territories was from devs, but i didnt see any mention from them about flag based mechanics. Where did you get that?
Old 2012-03-26, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Ghost hacking is prevented by different timers based on surrounding territories. If you have whole squad sitting on the CC just to made it shorter, you killing any chance of proper defense in chokepoints etc, making capturing base harder.
Timers based on territories was from devs, but i didnt see any mention from them about flag based mechanics. Where did you get that?
Having adjacent territory will also affect capture times. I would guess it would take a solo player, behind enemy lines with no linkable territory, somewhere in the area of an hour to capture something by himself. But those times are purely for illustration.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion