Optimization is coming along nicely according to Smedly. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We understand your needs...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-09-04, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
bjorntju1
Captain

Re: Optimization is coming along nicely according to Smedly.

Took almost a year but finally
Old 2013-09-04, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Fenrys
Major

I have not been able to get the game to load for about 3 weeks now. It's like the last update broke something critical that leads to problems worse than crash to desktop - the inability to leave the desktop in the 1st place.

Maybe "optimization" means "less players"?
Old 2013-09-04, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Belhade View Post
Since I started playing this game, the client crashes 100% of the time. Every time I exit the game it closes then gives the "ended unexpectedly" window.

You haven't noticed any optimization? My low-end machine can actually run the game decently now; there had been periods of slideshow goodness that haven't shown up in months.
How about that, recently I've noticed the opposite.
Also noticed a lot less people playing or am I just not seeing as many in the immediate area.
Old 2013-09-05, 02:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
ZephyrBurst
Private

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
I have not been able to get the game to load for about 3 weeks now. It's like the last update broke something critical that leads to problems worse than crash to desktop - the inability to leave the desktop in the 1st place.
Did you try the Validate option from the launcher? The time that the game broke for me, this fixed it.
Old 2013-09-05, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
How did you come to the conclusion that the QA staff has been let go?
Sorry, I thought the sarcasm in a couple of those statements was thick enough. But no I doubt all are gone. I mean how many employees does SOE have tho? And the reports are that 200 were let go. Mostly in EQ2 from what I gather. But with PS2 in release now and they're adding content like it's going out of style, well to the point that they need to halt all content production to optimize (read integrate all the new content properly), you hardly need playtesters. I mean why pay playtesters when an unfinished game has a full community of playtesters (many who pay money to play)? Real players test out much of the content on the test server already - for free.

But like one comment in the thread i posted earlier said:
"Oh good, I was tired of games having so much Quality Assurance and Customer Support."

Kinda funny tho that the time they need testing the most, they can some of them. yea it's probably focused on other games, but you can't tell me that the QA teams are only hired for a single game. They test all new content and server tweaks. Or they should. But that's what got us here in the first place isn't it. The pushing out of content without studying the full impact that the changes were having on performance and gameplay.
Old 2013-09-05, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

The report stated, afaik, that 200 were let go and out of that 100 from QA and CS. Of course we have no idea if it's actually true.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-09-05, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
AuntLou
Staff Sergeant

Played on test last night w/ 80-110 FPS. Seems the optimizations are already going in.

http://www.thefortydeuce.com
Old 2013-09-05, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by AuntLou View Post
Played on test last night w/ 80-110 FPS. Seems the optimizations are already going in.
Play out of prime time on your current server and you wont have an issue.

The problem is with the amount of people
Old 2013-09-05, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Play out of prime time on your current server and you wont have an issue.

The problem is with the amount of people
Ya, those fps figures are not unusual on the live server in those circumstances.
Old 2013-09-05, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Ya, those fps figures are not unusual on the live server in those circumstances.
And every time I've tried to play (since downloading the game again 2 weeks ago), I still experience the bug where all players and vehicles fly all over the screen and do weird things, while the icons on the mini map jitter back and forth.

Here's a recent thread about it,

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...issues.132596/

My thread from Feb,

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...d-video.90033/

And the 58 page thread about it, also from Feb,

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...rywhere.87669/

I still can't play the game because of this problem. It's literally impossible to interact with the world when it happens and it happens pretty much every time there is a decent sized fight. With the population so low, it's hard to find a small fight where this issue might not occur.

Apart from that, in my testing the game plays just as poorly now as it did last December and not quite as well as it did last September. Any improvement you may feel is placebo, because it still sucks.

Not being negative, just honest.
Old 2013-09-05, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
HelpLuperza
Corporal

Will this optimization include utilizing hyperthreading? Will they make the game be able to make use of multicore processors of the i3 or i5 which have built in standard nonAMD graphics cards? Or will an optimized PS2 make use of multicore of the new i3 or i5 which have competitive Intel graphics cards closer to newest AMDs?

What exactly are the processor/graphics cards equivalents for Intel Processor users we are talking about in this optimization?

I really like to know their progress to making the game more optimized for nonAMD users.
Old 2013-09-05, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by HelpLuperza View Post
Will this optimization include utilizing hyperthreading? Will they make the game be able to make use of multicore processors of the i3 or i5 which have built in standard nonAMD graphics cards? Or will an optimized PS2 make use of multicore of the new i3 or i5 which have competitive Intel graphics cards closer to newest AMDs?

What exactly are the processor/graphics cards equivalents for Intel Processor users we are talking about in this optimization?

I really like to know their progress to making the game more optimized for nonAMD users.
yes, it does include all of that good multicore stuff.
Old 2013-09-06, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
OmegaPREDATOR
Corporal

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
And every time I've tried to play (since downloading the game again 2 weeks ago), I still experience the bug where all players and vehicles fly all over the screen and do weird things, while the icons on the mini map jitter back and forth.
This bug also appen for me but it's only because of high ping (more than 600ms) where movement informations aren't send to the client and extrapolation try to solve that.

Try ping the server when you play (IP adress of all servers here) with -t at the end (will ping until you stop the thread with "ctrl+C").

When you start to have the bug take a look at the ping you have and answer here if it's all about the ping or not.
Old 2013-09-06, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
ringring
Contributor
General

Here's a recent thread about it,

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...issues.132596/

My thread from Feb,

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...d-video.90033/

And the 58 page thread about it, also from Feb,

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...rywhere.87669/

I still can't play the game because of this problem. It's literally impossible to interact with the world when it happens and it happens pretty much every time there is a decent sized fight. With the population so low, it's hard to find a small fight where this issue might not occur.

Apart from that, in my testing the game plays just as poorly now as it did last December and not quite as well as it did last September. Any improvement you may feel is placebo, because it still sucks.

Not being negative, just honest.
But he (and I) was talking in the context of the test server where there are few to zero people and the same with vehicles and aircraft.

The test will be when there are a lot of people etc. etc. etc.

Last December at quiet times and all alone I could get 110 fps on live, etc etc. I'm not saying I get anywhere near that in a fight.

All pella was saying was it's dangerous to compare an empty server and an empty region with a full one.
Old 2013-09-06, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Wait and see. I'm all for more optimisation, so let's have it.

I used to get this, with added bonus when flying my Reaver. Eventually I'd get disconnected.

I managed to fix it however: My MSI laptop has a Turbo Boost function. When activated, I would get the aforementioned symptoms very often. As I mentioned with my Reaver, I would fly normally, but others watching me would see a Reaver flying backwards/sideways and warping all over the place.

Thinking about it though, the people/vehicles flying in the sky and all over the place might be related to my ping at the time. The Turbo Boost did definitely make my minimap go haywire, though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion