Improvement: Fantasy Outfit Leagues - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Admin Powers: the Admin that shagged me
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-05, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Lightbulb Fantasy Platoon Leagues

This idea comes from the desire to legitimize PlanetSide 2 and it's place in eSports: PlanetSide 2 Fantasy Platoon Leagues

This would work similar to a fantasy league for any major sport, where a "season" is basically every 3 months. Fantasy Platoon "Owners" can look through the database of top performing PS2 players, including up-and-coming players, and recruit them if they are available. Players can only be recruited from one faction.

When the season starts, everyone costs the same resource amount to recruit (plus a small increase based on variation of certs and gear they have available). As the season goes on, the resource cost to hire and trade players will increase or decrease based on their performance.

After the first few runs, once the bugs have been worked out of the system, player can then start wagering Station Cash (or IRL money?) to enter Fantasy Platoon leagues that give out prizes to the participants.

This would be virtually 100% outside of the game. The main thing would be that the game would need to track all of a player's stats over time in a database, and that could be processed every hour or every day, or maybe every time the player exits after being logged in.

Last edited by Neurotoxin; 2012-05-11 at 04:10 PM.
Old 2012-05-05, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Re: Fantasy Outfit Leagues

Interesting idea to say the least.

I can't imagine SOE actually doing this themselves but what a crazy/fun idea for an independant project this would be.

It wouldn't be hard to create a league yourself using Station for all the info you need.

Fun idea, but I don't see it coming through SOE.
Old 2012-05-05, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

They don't even need that much support, even if they just created a way to have an instanced game.

All they really need is two bases, preferrably LLU type bases and have the two teams start at one base each, one tower each, then have them go.

Only problem I can see is having more experienced players having access to more equipment, and I'd suggest a system like Modern Warfare 3's, where playing in an unranked dedicated server or private match gives you access to all of the weapons, perks, etc. This would even the playing field completely, meaning a lesser skilled team couldn't win a match simply because their players had played the game longer.

I'm not sure how this instanced PvP would deal with SC bought items, since those are supposedly purely cosmetic, and therefore, would supposedly not affect the gameplay. That would need to be addressed once the full game is out.

Lastly: Coloring. Sure it's easy to tell the NC from the TR, but what if two VS outfits want to duke it out? Unfortunately, both outfits would be using the same vehicles so it would be nigh impossible to tell vehicles apart from a distance, but if the entire enemy outfit were a different color, it would make things easier. This would have to apply to the vehicles as well as infantry armor, which brings me back to my previous point: How will SC bought camos work.

This enemy/friendly coloring would also have to be changeable by the player; default red enemies would confuse TR players, etc.
Old 2012-05-05, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Furret View Post
They don't even need that much support, even if they just created a way to have an instanced game.

All they really need is two bases, preferrably LLU type bases and have the two teams start at one base each, one tower each, then have them go.

Only problem I can see is having more experienced players having access to more equipment, and I'd suggest a system like Modern Warfare 3's, where playing in an unranked dedicated server or private match gives you access to all of the weapons, perks, etc. This would even the playing field completely, meaning a lesser skilled team couldn't win a match simply because their players had played the game longer.

I'm not sure how this instanced PvP would deal with SC bought items, since those are supposedly purely cosmetic, and therefore, would supposedly not affect the gameplay. That would need to be addressed once the full game is out.

Lastly: Coloring. Sure it's easy to tell the NC from the TR, but what if two VS outfits want to duke it out? Unfortunately, both outfits would be using the same vehicles so it would be nigh impossible to tell vehicles apart from a distance, but if the entire enemy outfit were a different color, it would make things easier. This would have to apply to the vehicles as well as infantry armor, which brings me back to my previous point: How will SC bought camos work.

This enemy/friendly coloring would also have to be changeable by the player; default red enemies would confuse TR players, etc.
This isn't really his idea, your talking about an instanced tournament. He means basing the league off of the players time in game. It's a "fantasy" team not something that is assembled in real life. Pretty much your just betting on players and choosing which ones you stand behind.
Old 2012-05-06, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
This isn't really his idea, your talking about an instanced tournament. He means basing the league off of the players time in game. It's a "fantasy" team not something that is assembled in real life. Pretty much your just betting on players and choosing which ones you stand behind.
Ohh I see. I wonder how that would work though, what if you picked a player who took a vacation from the game during your 'season'? In fantasy football, all the players play all the games (excluding injuries), and there's a specific schedule that all the players adhere to. Its an interesting idea, but there are a lot of kinks to work out since players are going to be inconsistent about their playtime.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault