News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pleese report speling erors
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-28, 01:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
whisenhunt
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

So if you don't know the rules, read below:

Hi! I'm Jimmy Whisenhunt, the newest addition to the PlanetSide 2 design team.

While I'm traveling to the ESEA LAN finals, where I'll be commentating/casting during the most heated and most anticipated Counter-Strike 1.6 LAN matches of the year, I will be answering questions that you guys post here.

There may be some delays due to flights and/or lack of connection while traveling but I will respond to as many as possible, as quickly as possible.

I'm not a living encyclopedia of everything PS2, so keep it to me personally or my outlook on PS2 and/or questions regarding my opinions on game play mechanics.

**None of my answers represent the feelings or opinion of Sony Online Entertainment or any other party involved in the product known as 'PlanetSide 2'. All answers represent my personal opinion from my experience as a 13 year FPS competitor and 19 year FPS gamer.**

Ask away!

Twitter: @JimmyWhis
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/whisenhunttv

Last edited by whisenhunt; 2012-06-28 at 01:36 AM.
Old 2012-06-28, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Kujo
Private

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

What do you think of the lack of animations for getting in or out of vehicles/aircraft. Also, can people switch positions in their vehicles without getting out at all? If so, how do you feel about that?
Old 2012-06-28, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I understand you have played FPS games for a while, and for you to answer my questions I have to assume you have played PS1 and some of PS2.

What specifically do you hope to be able to add to the current PS2 team that will improve the game that made you stand out from others?
Old 2012-06-28, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Welcome.

It's good to see the ps2 team have a counter-terrorist on board helping them
Old 2012-06-28, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Do you believe that Technology Equals Might? If not, would you by chance follow me? I have a cliff with a great view, I like to show it to my TR and NC 'friends'.

It helps if you get real close to the edge, only way to get the best view.
Old 2012-06-28, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

What do you think about ps2s gunplay right now and what do you want to change?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-28, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
whisenhunt
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Dogbolta View Post
I understand you have played FPS games for a while, and for you to answer my questions I have to assume you have played PS1 and some of PS2.

What specifically do you hope to be able to add to the current PS2 team that will improve the game that made you stand out from others?
I hope to break the mold of imitating the watered down model of modern day FPS, but still having rolls/play styles for your average gamer... Hopefully bringing a unique experience in regards to game play.

Originally Posted by Bravix View Post
Do you believe that Technology Equals Might? If not, would you by chance follow me? I have a cliff with a great view, I like to show it to my TR and NC 'friends'.

It helps if you get real close to the edge, only way to get the best view.
Sure, but only if you wouldn't be too upset when you end up landing forehead first at the bottom before you can make your move ^.^

Originally Posted by basti View Post
What do you think about ps2s gunplay right now and what do you want to change?
Without sounding like I'm trying to dance around the question:

See the answer above regarding what I hope to bring to the table regarding gun play.

Professional FPS commentator, retired 13 year competitive FPS gamer.

PlanetSide 2 Game Designer.

Old 2012-06-28, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

Maybe this isn't your field, but can you explain the concept of the medic alittle, is it more of an imcombat healer like say global agenda or TF2(maybe not to those extremes) or an after combat healer / reviver. Do also feel free to give your opinion on healing beams and in combat healing. :P

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-28, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
qbert2
Corporal

In some of your videos you've mentioned the need for games to have a high skill ceiling in order to have longevity and that many of the current crop of games have lowered their ceilings in order to gain mass market acceptance.

My question is do you feel that there are ways to increase the learnability of weapons and their mechanics in order to have a high skill ceiling yet allow 'mass market' players the ability to learn and understand what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong? In what ways do you think that is possible?

Old 2012-06-28, 01:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Can you say what the latest is with grenades? What varients do you see making it in (frag/smoke/flash/plasma/jammer etc)? Can any class carry them?

Thanks

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-28, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
whisenhunt
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by qbert2 View Post
In some of your videos you've mentioned the need for games to have a high skill ceiling in order to have longevity and that many of the current crop of games have lowered their ceilings in order to gain mass market acceptance.

My question is do you feel that there are ways to increase the learnability of weapons and their mechanics in order to have a high skill ceiling yet allow 'mass market' players the ability to learn and understand what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong? In what ways do you think that is possible?
Simply put: Yes.

The way to achieve this goal is to teach a player with on screen visuals such as 'analog feedback' demonstrated so well in Half-Life era games, when to let go of a trigger, when to spray and how to control their player/weapons properly.

Old 2012-06-28, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Notturno
Private

Thanks for doing this AMA Jimmy! Here's a few questions, don't feel obligated to answer all of them, consider it a grab bag.

Does PlanetSide 2 feature a predictable form of recoil? I have played other games where the recoil feels "random," in the sense that it bounces in random directions rather than a predictable pattern that allows me to reliably compensate. Am I crazy, or is having a predictable form of recoil more desirable than a "random" pattern?

I am no expert on routing, but I do know that most of the United States piping for the internet routes through major hubs like Chicago and Dallas. Do you believe that latency will play a major factor in PlanetSide 2, or will net code and lag compensation allow for reliable hit detection?

What are your thoughts on the competitive FPS scene? We haven't seen a true stand out star like we have for other genres, such as StarCraft II for RTS and League of Legends for MOBAs. What sort of features do you think are necessary to create the next big FPS eSport?

What's your biggest complaint about modern FPS games, either feature or design wise? Is there anything you would change about the direction of the genre, or something you would remove?

What are your thoughts on power creep? Does your job have any influence over controlling power creep? If so, what precautions is your team taking to prevent it from happening in PlanetSide 2?

As someone who obviously has an extensive background in competitive FPS games, what methods or strategies do you use to improve your play? Do you just practice a lot, or are there specific exercise you do in game to improve yourself?

You mentioned on your website about plans to start a show about leadership in online gaming and communities. What do you think are some major qualities a leader should have in an online game, and what specific acts should they be performing as a leader?

Last edited by Notturno; 2012-06-28 at 02:00 AM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-28, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
whisenhunt
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
Can you say what the latest is with grenades? What varients do you see making it in (frag/smoke/flash/plasma/jammer etc)? Can any class carry them?

Thanks
At this point I cannot elaborate on this topic. <3

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-28, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
arclegger
PlanetSide 2
Level Designer

What was your favorite gun in counter strike and are you willing to take me on 1 v 1 on de_dust2 livestream!
Old 2012-06-28, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Doctorcool
Private

What is your opinion on realistic weapon recoil? Something along the lines of planetside, ARMA, Ghost recon. If you can, can you go into detail a bit about how recoil is going to work in planetside 2?

PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions