Missle Bases? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You've made your momma proud!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-05, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Missle Bases?

What If there was a capturable base that had a missle silo, that the missle it self could be launched for lots of money and controlled by a player, like a Heli' TV missle and it could fly a max of 4km before it dies by losing fuel. and It could be shot down, but flies a bit faster than a "sprinting" mosquito.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Crator
Major General

Re: Missle Bases?

Good idea for a modification to an outfit controlled base. Which I believe they are working on for additional content down the road after launch.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xaine
Major

Sounds interesting...

If everyone could hear the launch go off, so they had some time to get inside. Sort of like an OS.

Could be a nice, important secondary objective. Almost like a cave lock.

I sort of like it.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
Sounds interesting...

If everyone could hear the launch go off, so they had some time to get inside. Sort of like an OS.

Could be a nice, important secondary objective. Almost like a cave lock.

I sort of like it.
Hearing is a good indication, but a launch is a proper way as it doesn't give warning to the target. A noise signal like what the V-1 had in WW2 would be good. People could hear it buzzing towards them prior to it hitting its target.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tsunami
Corporal

again with the cost, otherwise I'm fine with it. also making it only useable by outfit leaders or whatever the next rank would be. IMO
Old 2012-07-05, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
DarkChiron
First Sergeant

I'm always a little weary about things that make people who are already strong even stronger because they're strong. For instance in terms of CoD, does a guy capable of an 11-person killstreak REALLY need MORE power?

I think a number of things could make this alright. It'd have to cost a bit, and it'd have to be a feature of bases that any side can capture with equal difficulty (so somewhere in the middle of the continent). Of course the worry is still there for me, that it's giving more power to guys who are already powerful. I can understand the desire for it, if you're doing well you want to be rewarded for it. And if that reward is worthless, it doesn't feel satisfying.

I guess in the end it's a very difficult balancing act that seems to just go wrong any time I've seen it. Which is partly why I've been against the idea of Orbital Strikes coming back.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ArbitraryDemise
Corporal

I look at this idea, and for some reason I have this mental image of myself and a dozen other men and women making a last desperate push to reach the control room. With three minutes to launch, and stubborn resistance slowing our attempts to breach down to a crawl.

Fires from flamethrowers licking at the walls, leaving blackened scorch marks. Red warning lights turning the under-ground labyrinth into a hellish nightmare, combatants literally firing point blank into targets, the splatter and stench of the wounded and dying overwhelming the senses.

Finally, a last desperate push. Perhaps a lucky grenade, or maybe just a lapse in the courage of the defenders. Yet somehow, some way, we break through the defender's barricades. Maybe our hacking expert is alive, maybe we have to make do with a second rate, amateur hacker. The clock is counting down, maybe we have a few minutes, maybe we have only a few seconds.

The hack begins, the clock continues its slow, steady countdown. Perhaps, the defenders will launch a counter attack, but whatever happens time is running out.

Old 2012-07-05, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Crator
Major General

^^^ Good points about making people overpowered. I do agree limitations should be implemented. And perhaps keep the ability on a separate continent (perhaps one designed just for this sort of thing) so you have a variety of game-play options.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

to replace orbital strikes?

It'd also be a huge target for special ops. I'm keen to get people off the trench warfare style front lines.
Old 2012-07-05, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ArbitraryDemise
Corporal

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
^^^ Good points about making people overpowered. I do agree limitations should be implemented. And perhaps keep the ability on a separate continent (perhaps one designed just for this sort of thing) so you have a variety of game-play options.
Actually, what about this sort of mechanic being the way that an empire gains access to being able to use orbital strikes?

This way, you have not only an objective for spec-ops groups to target, but also a resource that when lost or gained has a readily felt impact on the empires?
Old 2012-07-05, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Crator
Major General

Yes, I do like the OS mechanic you're adding to it... Sounds like a good idea to me. Should be tied to outfits somehow imo too....
Old 2012-07-05, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
ArbitraryDemise
Corporal

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Yes, I do like the OS mechanic you're adding to it... Sounds like a good idea to me. Should be tied to outfits somehow imo too....
I would just like this to be an empire wide resource, rather than something that is tied to specific outfits.
Old 2012-07-05, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Its amazing what mods lock and other stuff that mods leave.

Would this missile have a fuel gauge and could you have in flight refuelling?
Old 2012-07-05, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Crator
Major General

Sorry, I get a little sick to my stomach on the whole empire wide OS ability idea. Forgive me.

Last edited by Crator; 2012-07-05 at 10:19 PM.
Old 2012-07-05, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Foe
Private

What if the missle battery is in space? You have to secure the platform for have access and you have a prep-timer before it can be fired and a resource cost. Giving the other factions time to abort a launch?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion