PSU: What's this button do?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2012-06-11, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Anderz
Master Sergeant

My YouTube movie reviews!

I'm usually not one for letting my various online identities intersect, but I'm already so fond of this community, I thought I'd share my other hobby with you guys... movie reviewing!

I have a YouTube channel, Moviedex, where I do funny movie reviews and parodies.

For instance, here is my review for Prometheus:

And here is my review for Dark Shadows:

If you enjoyed these videos, feel free to subscribe and share.
It really helps me if you do.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
lMABl
Master Sergeant

Re: My YouTube movie reviews!

Wow, those were really good! I watched a few of your vids and found your reviews to be very insightful. Like the Avengers for one, I've seen so many reviews where they are just worshipping how great it was, but you really actually dissected it and found the good and the bad, a true movie review IMO. And I liked your humor as well, your Scrabble parody was great haha. Call me impressed and count me as a sub.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by lMABl View Post
Wow, those were really good! I watched a few of your vids and found your reviews to be very insightful. Like the Avengers for one, I've seen so many reviews where they are just worshipping how great it was, but you really actually dissected it and found the good and the bad, a true movie review IMO. And I liked your humor as well, your Scrabble parody was great haha. Call me impressed and count me as a sub.
Thanks so much! Yeah, my Avengers review is probably my most serious and, unsurprisingly, controversial review. But I've been impressed by most of the responses, especially by those respectfully disagreeing.

As for the Scrabble parody, that was probably the most time-intensive skit I've ever done (I had to train my girlfriend how to use the camera haha), so I'm glad to see it pay off!
Old 2012-06-11, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Hahahaha! Nice review! I also looked forward to Prometheus and was quite disappointed. Tbh it seems that Scott aimed a bit too high and was too pretentious in this movie... nothing especially new or intense in shock-and-awe department, nothing new in concept, no new or at least cool thoughts.

And the part when the steroid-proto-human goes berzerk! Plain stupid. Also I'm quite frankly shocked that stupid christian bitch didn't die... yup the movie let me down big time. Only morals/points that I can read in this story were: 1. evolution isn't true bitchez, ha, ha! I directed a SF movie to prove it! and 2. dumb faith trumps everything else. Jeezuz ftw!

He shat over everything good he made in original Alien if you ask me, and now alien franchise is officially dead and buried. I enjoyed AVP more tbh. Starship troopers movie trilogy seems a conceptual/philosophical wonder and passed a bunch more of memorable quotes and cool thoughts in comparison to Prometheus and tbh those movies were knee-deep into kitsch and cheesy.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

I'm surprised at the quality of the stuff that you've put up. I normally find skit comedy cringe worthy but they were short enough that it didn't detract from the review. The humor style also was refreshing in that it didn't depend on crude jokes which has been plaguing things as of late.

Didn't see it but maybe you have a review up for Generation X somewhere? You mentioned that it was from the devil himself in your 21 Jump street review and I'm wondering why it was so bad (I haven't seen it). I have a habit of reading/watching reviews rather than watching the actual movies. I find it saves me massive amounts of time while filling me in the rough plot.

Couple movies I'm like your opinion on as someone who is vastly more informed about movies than I am. Brazil, Time Bandits, Mutant Girls Squad, and Six String Samurai. There's also Redline (2009) which I thought was fun and its sound track is definitely worth a look. However, I consider myself to have no taste in art and as such am constantly looking for people who do to tell me why things are good.

Hope you keep doing your videos, very good stuff!
Old 2012-06-11, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Elude
First Sergeant

Nicely done!

I was also looking forward to Prometheus but I ended up very disappointed. There was absolutely nothing scientific about it and everything the crew could do wrong they did do wrong, like for instance not picking a landing zone from orbit first before landing on the damn planet or even keeping something in orbit for future navigational purposes.

What's sad is this is one of the smallest mistakes in my opinion and it's still enough to ruin some of the believability in the film, I'm sure others will disagree because it's more of a philosophical horror film than a sci-fi but than why is it still labeled as a sci-fi!

The movie is most definitely a philosophical movie (which is probably why it doesn't make much sense, because philosophy doesn't really make a lot of sense) but the fear factor is almost entirely buried by the meaningless questions asked throughout the movie.

It's really hard to be frightened by something silly.
Old 2012-06-11, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Hahahaha! Nice review! I also looked forward to Prometheus and was quite disappointed. Tbh it seems that Scott aimed a bit too high and was too pretentious in this movie... nothing especially new or intense in shock-and-awe department, nothing new in concept, no new or at least cool thoughts.
I agree. The film didn't find its groove, or do anything particularly daring or standout that might have earned it respect over time. If it focused on being a more cerebral sci-fi, like it sets out to be, it could have been quite a decent addition to the Alien universe, since none of the previous films had gone down that road. But as I said in my review, poor writing, characters and an a mish-mash of genre elements let it down considerably.

And the part when the steroid-proto-human goes berzerk! Plain stupid. Also I'm quite frankly shocked that stupid christian bitch didn't die... yup the movie let me down big time. Only morals/points that I can read in this story were: 1. evolution isn't true bitchez, ha, ha! I directed a SF movie to prove it! and 2. dumb faith trumps everything else. Jeezuz ftw!
I see where you're coming from, but I felt that the film isn't as pro-religion as it seems. I mean, the whole notion that our creators could also be our destructors is quite a terrifying thought for someone of faith, even if it was poorly explored in the film. I also think Shaw survived less because of her faith in God and more because was the only person on that ship who didn't get her PhD off the internet. Seriously, if they were the smartest people for the job, then humanity is fucked.

He shat over everything good he made in original Alien if you ask me, and now alien franchise is officially dead and buried. I enjoyed AVP more tbh. Starship troopers movie trilogy seems a conceptual/philosophical wonder and passed a bunch more of memorable quotes and cool thoughts in comparison to Prometheus and tbh those movies were knee-deep into kitsch and cheesy.
What made the original Alien good, and what sets it apart from Prometheus, was that it was unlike anything cinema had seen before. It was one of the first slasher movies aside from Halloween, not to mention set in space. It also featured a kick-ass female protagonist who only really came to the fore halfway through the film (watch the first act and you'd think Captain Dallas was the protagonist). The xenomorph is also a masterpiece of design, and the twist where Ash is revealed to be an android gives the film great philosophical heft without making a big point of it.

Prometheus' biggest crime is that it explains the nature of the beast, which is like turning on the lights in a dark room... it saps away the horror of the unknown.

Last edited by Anderz; 2012-06-11 at 10:58 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
Nicely done!

I was also looking forward to Prometheus but I ended up very disappointed. There was absolutely nothing scientific about it and everything the crew could do wrong they did do wrong, like for instance not picking a landing zone from orbit first before landing on the damn planet or even keeping something in orbit for future navigational purposes.

What's sad is this is one of the smallest mistakes in my opinion and it's still enough to ruin some of the believability in the film, I'm sure others will disagree because it's more of a philosophical horror film than a sci-fi but than why is it still labeled as a sci-fi!
I have a friend who can't get over this detail either, and although it didn't bother me at the time -- I was still thoroughly engrossed at that point -- I can see why it bothered him.

The first WTF moment for me was when they decided not to take weapons because "it's a scientific expedition". I cannot get over how moronic that thinking is. I mean, even if our creators turn out to be friendly (and that's a big if), what's to say that they're the species we're going to make contact with first? For example, imagine if Aliens visiting Earth met a pack of wolves before humans? They'd want a bloody weapon handy!
Old 2012-06-11, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
I'm surprised at the quality of the stuff that you've put up. I normally find skit comedy cringe worthy but they were short enough that it didn't detract from the review. The humor style also was refreshing in that it didn't depend on crude jokes which has been plaguing things as of late.

Didn't see it but maybe you have a review up for Generation X somewhere? You mentioned that it was from the devil himself in your 21 Jump street review and I'm wondering why it was so bad (I haven't seen it). I have a habit of reading/watching reviews rather than watching the actual movies. I find it saves me massive amounts of time while filling me in the rough plot.

Couple movies I'm like your opinion on as someone who is vastly more informed about movies than I am. Brazil, Time Bandits, Mutant Girls Squad, and Six String Samurai. There's also Redline (2009) which I thought was fun and its sound track is definitely worth a look. However, I consider myself to have no taste in art and as such am constantly looking for people who do to tell me why things are good.

Hope you keep doing your videos, very good stuff!
Thanks!

I never actually reviewed Project X because I didn't have the time and the review would have just been overwhelmingly negative, and not in a very entertaining way. The film was just a waste of time, and I didn't want to waste any more on it.

I haven't seen Mutant Girls Squad or Six String Samurai, but I am a big fan of Terry Gilliam's work.
I love how unique his films are, even if they can be a bit hit and miss. At least he experiments with his films, which good or bad, is always going to be far more exciting and refreshing than someone who consistently plays it safe.

Brazil is one of his best, I think. It's spellbinding visually and thematically, leaving you with what can only be described as a beautifully bitter taste in your mouth. It's darkly comedic, incredibly disquieting and yet utterly thrilling all at the same time. It's absolutely unique. There has never, and probably will never, be another film quite like it.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
If it focused on being a more cerebral sci-fi, like it sets out to be, it could have been quite a decent addition to the Alien universe, since none of the previous films had gone down that road. But as I said in my review, poor writing, characters and an a mish-mash of genre elements let it down considerably.
So true. It failed both in cerebral and sci-fi department. I meant the origins of human's race as they depicted is from scientific perspective utter rubbish. Sci-fi for me is taking some basic scientific principles then going over the top and into the speculation not inventing your own rules.

I see where you're coming from, but I felt that the film isn't as pro-religion as it seems.
I know (there is that quote from Laurence of Arabia) but it was sort of compromising, see it as you wish... I hate that, either make a firm stand or don't touch the topic at all.

But anyway hearing that "that's what I choose to believe" phrase in this movie pisses me off.

I also think Shaw survived less because of her faith in God and more because was the only person on that ship who didn't get her PhD off the internet. Seriously, if they were the smartest people for the job, then humanity is fucked.
True, the rest of the bunch was pretty dumb... I mean, cum on Vickers jump to the side...

What made the original Alien good, and what sets it apart from Prometheus, was that it was unlike anything cinema had seen before. It was one of the first slasher movies aside from Halloween, not to mention set in space. It also featured a kick-ass female protagonist who only really came to the fore halfway through the film (watch the first act and you'd think Captain Dallas was the protagonist). The xenomorph is also a masterpiece of design, and the twist where Ash is revealed to be an android gives the film great philosophical heft without making a big point of it.
Yes, that movie had suspense (when Alien is picking the crew one by one), twist and turns you don't expect (android among them sent to study the creature by corporations), it had it all.

Prometheus' biggest crime is that it explains the nature of the beast, which is like turning on the lights in a dark room... it saps away the horror of the unknown.
No I wasn't, we kinda expected that, however explanation was lousy. Only thing this film left me wandering about was wtf David said to that Engineer to piss him off like that?
Old 2012-06-12, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Anderz
Master Sergeant

No I wasn't, we kinda expected that, however explanation was lousy. Only thing this film left me wandering about was wtf David said to that Engineer to piss him off like that?
Well, I expected it to be more about the origins of humanity, not so much the origins of the xenomorphs, which is the only question that actually gets answered.

I think I would have liked Prometheus more if it had nothing to do with the Alien universe and was its own standalone franchise.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge