No BFRs in PlanetSide 2

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...ide-2-2343.htm
Old 2009-10-15, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: No BFRs in PlanetSide 2

OH HELL YEAH!

How about now they make the Lasher lash friendlies?
Old 2009-10-15, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Fishsticks
Private

Misc Info

This makes me happy, but at the same time, I'm not so sure BFR's really were that big of a problem when they first came out. I mean, SOE was quick to nerf them when people started spamming, "over powered" on the forums .

My personal opinion is that BFR's got a lot of negative attention right before release, resulting in mass delusion. Honestly though, say BFR's were the problem and SOE agreed to not put "BFR's" in Planetside: Next. They could just as easily replace the old model and name with something that looks completely different, but shares the same stats and we'd be none the wiser :P

I think it's safe to say they wouldn't do that though.
Old 2009-10-15, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Espion
Staff Sergeant

It took them about 8 patches and cost 50000 subs to fix BFRs... yes, I'd say they were a problem.
Old 2009-10-15, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

Agreed.

I know quite a few people who quit because of what they did to the battlefield. Mixed infantry and vehicle combat at the start was awesome. Then you add in the solo pwn machines and you've got a disaster.

They were one of the reasons PS lost so much popularity, it's good to see that John and SOE see that.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2009-10-15, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Fishsticks View Post
This makes me happy, but at the same time, I'm not so sure BFR's really were that big of a problem when they first came out. I mean, SOE was quick to nerf them when people started spamming, "over powered" on the forums .
Which means it was a bad fucking idea in the first place. And the way they got nerfed all to shit - AND on top of that you pretty much have to be BR25 placing all your certs into it - means they want to make it nigh impossible and undesirable to get one.
Old 2009-10-15, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Agreed.

I know quite a few people who quit because of what they did to the battlefield. Mixed infantry and vehicle combat at the start was awesome. Then you add in the solo pwn machines and you've got a disaster.

They were one of the reasons PS lost so much popularity, it's good to see that John and SOE see that.
/signed

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2009-10-15, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
KIAsan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Agreed.

Once they strayed from mixed infantry/vehicle combat they killed PS. God I hope they have learned that lesson for PS2.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine. If I can pry it up, it's not nailed down.
Old 2009-10-16, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Fishsticks
Private

Misc Info

I guess I was too busy pwning them with my Decimeter to notice!
Old 2009-10-20, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Figment
Lieutenant General

Stickyfish:

The main problem was not a single BFR, but the amount of BFRs covering eachothers arse (and hitting the jump over a mountain with shields recharging and be nigh unhittable in air or bail free cards). As well as the camping which could only be stopped by OSing.

If we had the Phantasm then, they might have been a lesser problem. There's however no way you could stop 8 bunnyhopping BFRs outside of your base or even one of them... Then Deci hotswapping was nerfed I think...

My outfit was based around lighter ground vehicles than BFRs. We simply had no right of existence anymore. It's not strange that aircraft became even more popular and important than they already were.
Old 2009-10-20, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Yeah, BFRs were a good idea on paper, not so good in implementation.

It was kinda like making anyone and everyone able to become a Jedi in SWG; that's when I stopped playing that game too. And I wasn't even a Jedi...

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2009-10-21, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kyonye
Contributor
General

I only experienced the BFR's for an unsolid month of playing, and it turned me off from the game. The reason I stopped playing was because my college didn't have a good internet connection, and then I just got busy. When I bought a new computer in May, I decided to reactivate for a month, and then the BFR's said "Hello," and I said "Goodbye."

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2009-10-21, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

My take on BFRS:

I was initially excited about them. I planned a unit within BWC designed around BFR combat.

Many of us (the overall players) raced to get them, but found that they were tied to the caverns somehow - a blatantly obvious move designed to spur more interest in the caverns. After completing these requirements, because Planetside fights revolved around capturing bases instead of having out-of-doors objectives thrown in, BFRs had to camp bases.

Eventually because of the way they were used by players, the BFRs were nerfed all to hell. The proper thing to do would have been to deconstruct them within ten seconds if they entered a base courtyard or got within a certain range of towers.

Instead, they were made weak and ineffective, and players had to spend most of their cert points to obtain them. Good job of crowd control.
Old 2009-10-21, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

THANK GOD
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions