hacking - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's magically delicious!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-31, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
the_badness
Private

hacking

how's hacking going to be done? my friends and i are thinking it's just gonna be like defusing a bomb in counter strike where u press a button and watch a little meter fill up, and once it's filled you plant the bomb (or hack the building/vehicle you are trying to take over) but i've got no clue on how hacking is going to be done.

God Is In His Heaven Alls Right With The World - NERV
Old 2002-12-31, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Blitzkrieg
Master Sergeant

It could be like in Deus Ex
Sigh...
I miss that game
Old 2002-12-31, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
TeamR
Sergeant

Hacking is done with the use of a seperate controller. It includes a series of random bells and whisltes that the user in turn must copy in a game similar to Simon Says. If the user completes the game successfully, it then calculates your chances of successfully hacking a console by taking your hacking experience into account. New hackers will have a 20% chance of success while veteran hackers will have a 90% chance. As an added bonus, after each successful hacking attempt your enemies screen will be filled with a message and picture sent by you. And their cd trays will open and close uncontrollably. Then you get 500 beps.

There's a place that I travel
When I want to roam
And nobody knows it but me

Old 2002-12-31, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Blitzkrieg
Master Sergeant

Old 2002-12-31, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

So anyway, hacking requires a tool you stand in front of what your hacking be it a door, console or vehicle. As you push fire a small meter appears and slowly increases.

So your right, there is a meter. Depending on which certs you have it goes faster or slower.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-31, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sandtaco
Sergeant Major

So what you're saying that this 15 minute hacking time isn't completely solid? It can be bent?

"Guess I've drank the planetside kool-aid already, but this game looks like it will be unbelievably good." - Airlift
Old 2002-12-31, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

If the 15 minute bit you're referring to is the length of time that needs to pass before a base turns to your side, then I don't think that has anything to do with Hacking. You get to that point via Hacking, but the actual 15 minutes is just a wait period to give the defenders time to respond. You're not huddled in front of the capture area for 15 minutes watching a little meter fill.
Old 2002-12-31, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Omega
Private

Arrow

Well I do hope it's a little more elaborate then just holding down a button for a solid ten mins. that would just suck.

Maybe having to press some buttons in order like a "simon says" fashion would be kinda cool, although that can potentially lead to problems as any method could of course.

Hmmm.. Will wait to see that one also.

Justin

I am ever-lasting and like any infinity and am never ending.

-Omega
Old 2002-12-31, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Well I do hope it's a little more elaborate then just holding down a button for a solid ten mins. that would just suck.
Who said you hold down a button for 10 minutes? Simple acts of hacking like opening a secured door likely take about 10 seconds. Doing a vehicle would probably be around 30 seconds to a minute. They'd never add something to the game that involves you sitting there, holding a button, and staring at your screen for 10 minutes.
Old 2002-12-31, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally posted by Warborn
If the 15 minute bit you're referring to is the length of time that needs to pass before a base turns to your side, then I don't think that has anything to do with Hacking. You get to that point via Hacking, but the actual 15 minutes is just a wait period to give the defenders time to respond. You're not huddled in front of the capture area for 15 minutes watching a little meter fill.
^ Exactly what he said, after you hack it - and the meter goes to zero. Then you must defend it for 15 minutes before it turns to your side. During this time the enemy can re-hack it

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-31, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Camping Carl
Major

You should just leave mines on the control panels, so no one can hack your base!

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-31, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

That's probably very possible. I don't think the developers want anyone to hack a base. If an undefended base is going to be taken by Infiltrators, then it'll be a team of Infiltrators, and they should expect casualties.
Old 2002-12-31, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
�io
Lieutenant General

I thought the devs said it was gonna be a Neocron like system where you have to preform the actions?

If it's just a simple meter going down then the hacker role is gonna be boring and routine.
Old 2002-12-31, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

If you want to play a puzzle game, you shouldn't be looking to Planetside for your enjoyment. Being a Hacker does not consist of Hacking and nothing else. Hacking is just one weapon in their arsenal. If, for example, you want to take over a base with Hacking, you need to actually bypass any sort of automated defense systems the base has, kill any defenders, and protect the control area for 15 minutes. Having to do some puzzle crap to actually hack through doors and the control panel would detract from the fun more than anything, given the tempo of a Hacker's life.
Old 2002-12-31, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
�io
Lieutenant General

I don't see how making something much more interactive and challenging is making it less fun. I never said it should take 10mins but i'd rather spend 1min doing some actual hacking thingy like connecting wires or something than just standing around for the same minute watching a bar go down.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion