Game Engine: Physics, Ground Vehicles, and Mowing - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Boy I hope this quote gets approved.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-15, 01:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Physics, Ground Vehicles, and Mowing

I am posting Malorn's thoughts on how the physics engine could be used to improve the behavior of vehicles and mowing. All credit goes to him as he mentioned it originally here.

Originally Posted by Malorn
Things I would like to see from the new physics engine for ground vehicles.

* Mowing - I want to see infantry get squashed by tanks without a chance. I want to see infantry get seriously injured or killed by buggies and non-tanks. I want to see serious injury from all other vehicles. Stay out of the way of heavy multi-ton vehicles, ok?
* Vehicle Momentum - In the early days when physics was a little out-of-whack I recall pushing a lot of smaller vehicles with my vanguard. They just got shoved right out of the way. That made the tank a great breacher. That little ATV or lightning blocking the courtyard should not stand in the way of a tank at full speed. Charge! Break through! Great stuff with that.
* Crushing - This is my favorite thing I miss from the early days of PS. The physics used to allow a tank to smash or crush smaller vehicles. The resulting explosion would of course do damage to the tank, but crushing lightnings, buggies, and atvs was quite fun and goes back to the whole idea of this is a tank - if you see it charging at you gtf out of the way or suffer the obvious consequences.
* Terrain Traversal - We get into buggies and tanks for travel over rugged battered battlefields and terrain...tanks especially. I want to see tanks go over craters and little small rocks without much thought because there's no way a little rock is really going to stop a tank. Even small trees should suffer the wrath of the multitude of tonnage moving toward them with a bad attitude.
I think all these are valid points and could really improve the experience.
Old 2011-07-15, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Traak
Colonel

Re: Physics, Ground Vehicles, and Mowing

Yes, as would being able to climb on the tank and penetrate its weak top armor with magnetic charges or AV weapons.

As would being able to immobilize the tank with one deci shot to the track.

Yes, there are many things that can be made more realistic.
Old 2011-07-15, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

I want mowing so bad and I don't even drive tanks.
Old 2011-07-15, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I'd definitely like to see some more....*gulp* Dare I say, "realistic" tanks in Planetside. In terms of physics at least.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
dorgo
Corporal

This is the daddy then, watch this video i made....

CLICKY

I hope they keep this in PS2

(sorry the music is sh*t they made me change it)
Old 2011-07-15, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by dorgo View Post
This is the daddy then, watch this video i made....

CLICKY

I hope they keep this in PS2

(sorry the music is sh*t they made me change it)
Haha that video was awesome. Maybe not really what we are aiming for with this post but still funny.
Old 2011-07-16, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Some sort or sticky charge/limpet mine for sure (risk of getting squished vs reward of said vehicle being immobilised) but I'm not so sure about decimators. You have to be pretty close to use them effectively in PS1 so that might be enough to justify it, I don't know.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-16, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I was re-watching all the videos today and the bit about the physics engine definitely extends to the ground vehicles. They mentioend ATVs handling different from tanks and that all teh stuff they're doing for aircraft will also be done for ground vehicles.

Gives me some confidence, but then again mowing and crushing are entirely orthogonal gameplay decisions. However, they certainly have the capability to do it right with the physx API.
Old 2011-07-17, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Yes, as would being able to climb on the tank and penetrate its weak top armor with magnetic charges or AV weapons.

Yes, there are many things that can be made more realistic.
One simple deci shot to the tracks? yeah no. Everyone will just carry a deci, and blow the tracks immediately. Its boring. Im all for them being a spot where if you do more damage there, alot more than a simple deci. That it will slow your vehicle down alot, to no slower than half speed tho. And maybe it even makes your vehicle turn to that damaged side quite a bit too, nothin too extreme like makin you unable to move tho. I'm all for effects that cause effects based on where they land as long as they take significant damage to do so. As in you focus on one area with alot of firepower and can slow the tank down and hurt its handling. But the tank needs to be able to react and atleast try to get away for repairs even if its hard to do so damaged, somethin a full stop or the bfr "crawling speed" thing doesnt do. It just makes you angry its in there, doesnt add anything fun.

I know people think that this area specific damage with other effects is so cool but drive a bfr for a bit, and that sniper a mile away who shoots at you and with just a few shots halves your damage with a rof debuff, makes you move at 5kph with some "locomotion damage" and blows half your ammo away, kills your radar, etc etc. That movement one alone means you are effectively dead and useless unless you can repair, and since you cant move you have to do it there or just give up. And did i mention he's not doin high dmage he just does the area specific stuff so you are still at like 95% hp but your vehicle is effectively destroyed.

I would make the vehicles have armor values like PS1, aka a vanguard would have 5000 armor. But depending on where you hit it you could cause side effects to the vehicle like i mentioned. Maybe even have certain "weak spots" where if carefully balanced could allow for extra damage bonus when you hit em there. +50% or whatever. And maybe even have spots that are more resistant to damage.

The key is to make the trigger for the effects require sizable damage, and the effects should not be so powerful that they effectively kill the vehicle like some of the bfr's effects. More often than not, its gonna be luck that gets these spots hit, not skill. But if done right it can add some more tactics and tweaks to gameplay. The randomness tho can add a ton of frustration and less focus on skill despite what you may think. 50 bux says that you will be swearin at the system far more than you think "this is cool!".

Also keep in mind empire specific AV. A phoenix could pretty much hit any area on the vehicle LoS or not. A lancer could do very well too as long as they have LoS. A Striker cant pick where it lands at all and with a "weakspot" style damage system, it would be terrible. Now obviously they dont have to use those weapon designs at all in ps2, but the point is that you must consider what will be used to hit these areas. AoE splash damage and how it effects these as well and and other weapon aspects can make it tricky to balance when you get too complicated. Thats the fun part of PS, tweaking one thing can lead to chaging a ton of others. But thats also its strength, its not a zerg game its a very interwoven game among all the various aspects.
Old 2011-07-17, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

I only support mowing if ALL vehicles can. meaning a buggy could mow down some boots but a tank could mow down a buggy etc.

Also I'd want full support of ramming and the physics of mass, traction and momentum to factor in.
Old 2011-07-20, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
dm Akolyte
Corporal

But with actual vehicle physics, how will we have this?
Old 2011-07-20, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Forsaken One View Post
I only support mowing if ALL vehicles can. meaning a buggy could mow down some boots but a tank could mow down a buggy etc.

Also I'd want full support of ramming and the physics of mass, traction and momentum to factor in.
I also want to mention that they need netcode that makes it so that tank that is on the other side of those thick trees can't somehow magically appear and run me over. Saw that a lot. And tanks that would miraculously shift 20 yards sideways to reel in someone who was running.

Better netcode leads to less miracle mowing.

Nice video up there, too. Loved flying vehicles! Why not bail before you die though?

Last edited by Traak; 2011-07-20 at 01:56 AM.
Old 2011-07-20, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Lartnev View Post
Some sort or sticky charge/limpet mine for sure (risk of getting squished vs reward of said vehicle being immobilised) but I'm not so sure about decimators. You have to be pretty close to use them effectively in PS1 so that might be enough to justify it, I don't know.
My point was, if you want realism, then sure, make it so tanks are realistically easy to screw up. Let's get some A10s that can kill them in less than 1/100th of a second with sabot rounds.

It isn't about realism. It's about balance. Making the game too realistic makes it boring. Realism is one shot kills. Realism is being able to disable tank optics with a can of spray paint. I mean, where do you stop?

Balance creates more fun than realism.
Old 2011-07-27, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bacc
Private

Agree totally with this:

Balance creates more fun than realism.
But this actually sounds really cool:

Realism is being able to disable tank optics with a can of spray paint.
Old 2011-08-02, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Realism is being able to disable tank optics with a can of spray paint.
**You've just acquired "Paintball Gun" Certification**

Sorry, found this to be funny as well.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault