Today's code change - good stuff! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's where to be when not playing PlanetSide.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-06, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
musefrog
Corporal

Thumbs up Today's code change - good stuff!

Hi all.

Seems to me that there was quite a change in today's beta update (although it was only a small download) for those with lowly CPUs.

Before today I was getting 60-70fps alone in a deserted outpost, but 1-20fps with loads of judder in any area with significant amounts of other players, with 100% maxed out CPU usage. Seeing as my GPU is above minimum spec (450 GTS) but my CPU is below (Athlon II X2 245), I was figuring that the CPU just couldn't handle all the calculations.

Playing today, I'm getting between 20 and 30fps in crowded areas, with no judder, and CPU usage consistently less than 100%. However, allies often glitch around when moving. I'm figuring that the change they made drops object updates when the CPU isn't coping, rather than freezing up the client momentarily.

As other players juddering is much more playable than client judder (with the extra FPS to boot) I say it's a positive change!

FYI: RAM's not an issue, I have 8GB, and yes I'm playing on low settings with minimum render quality, in 1024x768, plus RenderDistance=1000 and RenderFlora=Off in UserOptions.

Last edited by musefrog; 2012-09-06 at 09:33 AM.
Old 2012-09-06, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Today's code change - good stuff!

Awesome! Good to hear Optimizations ftw.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-09-06, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Maarvy
Master Sergeant

Good new indeed .

The leaps and bounds they have made in client performance in the last 2-3 weeks has been considerable , I'm suitably impressed with the progress .
Old 2012-09-06, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

My Core 2 Duo is screaming with Joy. At least, I think that's why it's screaming.

So awesome! Thanks so much SOE for making this happen!
Old 2012-09-06, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ISVRaDa
Private

Good news!!!

E6600 + 4GB 800mhz + GTX 460 OC..

... but I need check that with my own eyes Hope to play decently at low settings.
Old 2012-09-06, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I have the same video card and a 2.33GHz Core2 Quad. Graphically, I can use the High settings and 1.0 renderer at 1600x900 and it makes no difference in FPS. Try playing at higher graphics settings, you probably won't see a performance hit.
Old 2012-09-06, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Sounds awesome. Cant wait to test tomorrow. Also oc'ed by dual core to 3,3Ghz yesterday. Hopefully that will help too.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-09-06, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
My Core 2 Duo is screaming with Joy. At least, I think that's why it's screaming.
It's screaming for more Llama power!
Old 2012-09-06, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
HorizonBound
Private

I'm very grateful for the optimziation updates that the PS2 dev team has put through. I know how hard optimization is, finding what we can cut here, how can I do this with the least amount of stuff, ect, ect....
Anyway, for the first week or two of the priority key wave, the game has been basically unplayable for me, clocking in at a whopping 10 FPS at the warpgate, and Powerpont levels when actually doing anything. More recently, however the game has been working quite fine, and it seems to be working better on a mix of med-low settings at max. resolution than at pure low for some reason (i think that the settings split the work between my CPU and GPU better). Anyway, large battles still lag a lot, and just cutting the grass outright on low might be a good thing, as people obviously don't care about frills, as long as they can see the person they're shooting at. Any more optimizations are a welcone sight, especially in large battles.
Old 2012-09-06, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Shinjorai
First Sergeant

Very thankful for the optimizations as well. Im upgrading to an I7 3770 here shortly but still have some other systems still on AMD quad cores and theyre struggling a bit with the game. So great job on the optimizations, please keep them coming. Thank you mucho alot O.

Last edited by Shinjorai; 2012-09-06 at 09:51 PM.
Old 2012-09-06, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

I'm using a core 2 duo cpu as well unfortunately, and my performance seems to be sliding backwards lately. In large base fights on lowest settings was always under 10 fps when I first joined with the PS1 Vet beta wave, then slowly got better with each performance patch to the point it was hovering a bit under 30fps in the same fights, but last few days has been consistently under 20 FPS.

Not very scientific feedback I know, but there really needs to be lots more optimization still if older machines close to the current minimum specs are going to be at all viable.
Old 2012-09-06, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Diehard
Corporal

Does that mean I can run the game with my old ASUS g1S laptop now?
Old 2012-09-07, 12:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
sisu
Private

probs no dude
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion