SmedBlog: Harvestable Resources - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This quote is packed full of typos.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-12, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: SmedBlog: Harvestable Resources

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Player harvesting was boring as fuck in EVE, it'll be boring as fuck in PS2. It was also boring in WoW. Herb farming or mining node farming - just how I wanted to spend my evening!
Totally subjective. I and many others actually enjoy resource harvesting in EVE and many other games. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered.

It's ok to not like things...
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-12, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Oh right, I forgot that China has an entire industry based around farming boring shit normal people don't want to do. OK carry on. Just make the products of the harvesting for sale for Smedbux and save me the time.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I proposed to Higby that the ANT be brought back for Resource delivery. It's a raw concept, haven't thought out much details on it, but it seems a good use for it.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-08-12, 03:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Pig: What do you mean exactly? Like ANTs being used to run resources back from bases? Targets for logistical damage?
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2012-08-12 at 03:58 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

It's strange to see people writing about this, 'who would drive one of these?' that obviously never played Planetside 1.

ANTs *were* harvesters!

Planetside wasn't just an MMOFPS, it was arguably the realisation of MMOFPSRTS - with each troop controlled by a real human player, preferably under the guidance of commanders; but with no compulsion to sacrifice personal initiative.

Surely there will be this sort of thing in PS2, I hadn't heard they'd removed them from PS1 and if they did I think that is really disappointing. Those last minute GAL+ANT moments while defending a base were often epic, requiring strategy for a purpose, clearing the CY, emptying the position of mines. A reason not to just camp in the base farming XP from invaders.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2012-08-12 at 04:03 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

ANTs were harvesters and the person doing the run was sacrificing precious murder time for the GLORY OF THE SOVEREIGNTY. Er.. the good of the team. However, I'm afraid what Smed-o-rama is thinking is more passive and focused around wallet padding.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Sunrock
Major

Way not add a crafting system like SWG had while we are at it?
Old 2012-08-12, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

What a great idea! Crafting and housing and they can even add PvP so we can fight between all the awesome PvE...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipper...e#As_a_fallacy

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2012-08-12 at 06:01 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Sighpolice
Corporal

I do quite like this idea, I actually quite enjoying doing an ANT run every now and again in PS 1. With the resources being a big part of PS2, there is room (as many others have already said) for mobile resource points and stuff so yeah, it sounds quite good.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
ANTs were harvesters and the person doing the run was sacrificing precious murder time for the GLORY OF THE SOVEREIGNTY. Er.. the good of the team. However, I'm afraid what Smed-o-rama is thinking is more passive and focused around wallet padding.
I'm thinking that the harvesting and npc idea fit together nicely.

Nobody has to manually harvest (could be an option? I guess? Shouldn't be a particularly ideal means of farming though really. Added benefit sure, but ech...)

I just think that having resource lines would offer new military targets and broaden tactical options.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

It would but what would be the impact of breaking those lines or deciding to not? Good time to brainstorm.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

I have always liked harvesting when done right in games. In Ultima Online I played a miner/trader and spent most of my time in caves harvesting ores. And yes, that was fun.
Harvesting in WoW on the other hand, is just plain boring.

If they make it fun and interesting, I'm in for it.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Sighpolice View Post
I do quite like this idea, I actually quite enjoying doing an ANT run every now and again in PS 1. With the resources being a big part of PS2, there is room (as many others have already said) for mobile resource points and stuff so yeah, it sounds quite good.
But how will that impact the strategic importance to hold hexes for resources? Or can you only harvest resources in hexes your faction control?

TBH I only see this as a way to dumb down the strategic value of owning the right hexes. If you can harvest in other factions territory that is.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-12 at 06:37 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
BTBH I only see this as a way to dumb down the strategic value of owning the right hexes. If you can harvest in other factions territory that is.
First: Fight for bases, get resources.
Next: Make the choice whether or not to send your squads off to secure harvest locations or deny them to enemies.

This makes global strategy more complex, not less.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-12, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
First: Fight for bases, get resources.
Next: Make the choice whether or not to send your squads off to secure harvest locations or deny them to enemies.

This makes global strategy more complex, not less.
Yes it makes the strategy more complex. But my worry was in regards of owning hexes. This makes it harder to starve the enemy of resources. And that does diminish the value of controlling the aria.

I'm just worried that this will make it too easy to obtain resources this way even if your faction is sucking and not forcing team work with all the outfits within the faction.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion