New pic of TR Prowler - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Breaking News: Traffic Doubled Due to Hot Girls Thread!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-19, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: New pic of TR Prowler

Silly question : can we fire with the turret mounted on the Prowler ? Or is this just a kind of decoration ?
Old 2012-04-19, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Fenrod View Post
Silly question : can we fire with the turret mounted on the Prowler ? Or is this just a kind of decoration ?
It's a secondary gunner position. It's also customizable so you can put different kinds of turrets up there.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

I heard the off centre barrels were so that an additional pair (for a total of 4) are added to the other side when you have the dedicated gunner upgrade selected...
Old 2012-04-19, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by TerminatorUK View Post
I heard the off centre barrels were so that an additional pair (for a total of 4) are added to the other side when you have the dedicated gunner upgrade selected...
They haven't even confirmed a dedicated gunner unlock, they've only stated they are looking into making it available. Would love to see where you read this though.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by TerminatorUK View Post
Makes sense. Thats a huge amount of shells coming at you.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Some people just can't handle a lack of symmetry...

(Props if you get the joke)
Old 2012-04-19, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

The other side of the turret might be for the interchangeable secondary weapon? Looks good though.
Old 2012-04-19, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Shake
Private

Originally Posted by Saieno View Post

I suppose you don't remember the M18 Hellcat then? It was an American tank destroyer of World War II that was the fastest tracked armored fighting vehicle during the war with a top speed up to 60 mph. Hellcat crews took advantage of the vehicle's speed to protect against hits to its thin armor. Many German Panther and Tiger tanks were destroyed because they could not turn their turrets fast enough to return fire which you mentioned in a previous post about the Vanguard. However we'll just have to see how it works during beta.
If they cap the turn speed of vanguard turrets then yes, prowlers would have an advantage if they could get in position, but I doubt they will. If the vanguard turret can move fast enough to keep up with a prowler, which I assume it will be able to, then prowlers will have no advantage at all unless the vanguard driver can't aim well.
Old 2012-04-19, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

the Prowler is the sports car of tanks. I kinda like the body that it has. Reminds me somewhat of a Corvette.
Old 2012-04-19, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Too bad we won't be crawling in the front of it.
Old 2012-04-19, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
In the "the9" trailer the prowler was shooting three round burst. Or maybe it was the vanguard, but one of them were not firing a single shell.
I think that was a Lightning using AI shells. I think I remember hearing in one of the interviews that the Lightning would have a multi-shot option that was strong against infantry.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-19, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The explanation on the previous page about the camera position vs turret makes a lot of sense in explaining why the prowler has an asymmetrical design.

In PS1 the driver's view was below the turret, with the gunner slightly above the guns. In PS2 it looks as though the driver's view is on the turret, but still low.

If they put the driver view above the turret it might have been awkward or given the driver more of a view advantage than they wanted. That or the top may be reserved for the secondary gunner. If they kept the guns center then they very well may have obstructed a lot of the driver's view. By putting the main gun to the side they free up the driver's visibility, though I wonder if they may have created a blindspot on the left side.

Seems like a they may have had a function-over-form decision. It allows them to put other weapons on the right side (the description of the prowler indicated more weapon systems than the other tanks), while still leaving the top open for the secondary gunner.

As for advantages, we know that the Prowler is medium armor, high speed, high RoF. In PS1 it had the highest damage throughput (dps) of the main guns of all the tanks.
The Prowler is a medium tank that is not only the fastest empire specific tank on the field but it can be armed to the teeth with extra weapon systems beyond the other empires medium tanks, making it one of the deadliest vehicles in the game.
This is consistent with the general Terran design:
Terran Republic weapons have the fastest firing rates, largest ammo capacities, and are generally designed to allow for maximum sustainable damage.
I believe the Prowler will have the highest dps of all the tanks again in PS2, while also being the fastest and retaining its medium-armor status from PS1. If you compare the characteristics of the prowler from PS1 to PS2...

1) It remains highest dps
2) It retains the same armor (relatively speaking)
3) It moves up from the slowest tank to the fastest
4) It's profile has become smaller, even smaller than the other tanks.
5) Driver has both main gun and a secondary machinegun (something it lacked in PS1)

As far as I can see it's a straight upgrade from PS1. Main complaints of it were the lack of a machinegun on the gunner, slow speed, bulky profile. All of those have been addressed in the PS2 prowler.

Tactics-wise it appears the Prowler is the perfect Blitzkrieg tank, able to move in fast and low and bring to bear unrivaled firepower. It isn't a glass cannon since it has medium armor. Its smaller size and speed will help compensate and give it some flanking advantages.

And best of all - no tank can run from a prowler (except maybe a mag over a river). Speed means you can dictate engagements, and that's a poweful advantage in its own right. It can outrun the other tanks, which means it can escape and nothing can escape it.

Looks to be a great and fun tank in PS2 with its own niche like the other two tanks.
Old 2012-04-19, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Any other WoT players in here?

Maybe they should model the Prowler playstyle off of the T-54. That'd shut the design critics right up.
Old 2012-04-19, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Destroyeron
Troll x2

Originally Posted by Fara View Post
*edit*
Why dont you put another 2 gun barrels on the "Right" side to make it symetrical with the left... I could learn to love a 4 barrel tank >: )
Best solution I've heard put forth to date.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-19, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

That may be an alternate weapon or configuration. The Prowler is supposed to have additional weapon systems, that right side could be where they go.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion