What is this matrix system? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do not read this quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-24, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

They way it seems to me, all you'll see is the same people fighting over the same bases all day. If you've been locked in a 3 hour battle over a tower and a base like I have, it gets real damn old - real fast. This game has too much of a rock, paper, scissors unit base to make that fun. If it was where every unit was just as vunerable, then skill could take you foward, but that's not going to happen the way I see it.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-04-24, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
penpen374
Private

??

I'm sorry, but maybe the forum servers are laggy, or maybe people just ignore posts from people new to the forums. But I already explained in two previous posts, one directly quoting the patch update information, that it is NOT a solid defensive line. You can still go BEHIND ENEMY LINES and BREAK the matrix. I wonder if i'm invisible or something...
Old 2003-04-24, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally posted by {BOHICA}Navaron
They way it seems to me, all you'll see is the same people fighting over the same bases all day. If you've been locked in a 3 hour battle over a tower and a base like I have, it gets real damn old - real fast. This game has too much of a rock, paper, scissors unit base to make that fun. If it was where every unit was just as vunerable, then skill could take you foward, but that's not going to happen the way I see it.
I agree. I have the feeling it will turn into constant mass rushes that don't end.

I would have rathered better base advantages, new BEP awards and interior automated defenses to the matrix.
Old 2003-04-24, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: ??

Originally posted by penpen374
I'm sorry, but maybe the forum servers are laggy, or maybe people just ignore posts from people new to the forums. But I already explained in two previous posts, one directly quoting the patch update information, that it is NOT a solid defensive line. You can still go BEHIND ENEMY LINES and BREAK the matrix. I wonder if i'm invisible or something...
you can still do it, but you have to starve the base of it's NTUs.
So you have to Siege it, destroy the turrets, kill the ANTs and hope that it goes neutral.

Sieges are long, hard and a lot of effort for little gain. Which is exactly what my wife says about me.
Old 2003-04-24, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
io
Lieutenant General

As i said before i could care less how they do it but they NEED to make defending/retaking bases more important and taking manned bases more rewarding than unmaned bases.

Matrix idea might be good idea but i'd probably just go with increased BEPs for hacking manned bases and retaking bases. (and yeah i know they changed this in new patch, my point still stands. )
Old 2003-04-24, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
penpen374
Private

You only have to perform all the resource starving upon bases that are not directly linked to your matrix, otherwise, you can still hack them normally according to the old fashion.

I think that the matrix is a great idea because before, there was no real incentive for defending a base. Infact, sometimes you wanted it taken over just so you could re-capture it just to get BEPs. This made the war just random skirmishes errupting everywhere at once. This way, there is a frontline, still fighting, but there is still behind the enemy lines action, and there is now incentive to defend.

Besides, if you do complete the hard work of taking a base out by resource starvation in the middle of an enemies matrix, you basically sever their matrix, and it allows you to expand in any direction. This sounds very worthwhile, and gives good incentive for covert ops.
Old 2003-04-24, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

It's out of discussion and into testing now, so we'll see. There could be tremendous upswing to it, but it could also strip the game down into a series of identical gankufests. I'll figure out what I think after I've had some time to see it in action. It's interesting to note that this is the first in a series of changes to the metagame.
Old 2003-04-24, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Tieom
Master Sergeant

Depending on how they end up doing it, it will either destroy the game or make it twice as good.

It should be noted that while there WILL be places of continuous 'trench warfare' there will likely be places on OTHER continents where there are much fewer people. The lone squad can still make a difference and cap bases, but instead of any base on the continent you will have a choice of 2-5 bases. This means you will more likely come across some defense - instead of 20something bases you can attack there are only 2-5. If assaulting one base is the same as assaulting another, in this case it would improve gameplay as it is much more likely you will encounter resistance. XP is all well and good, but the real meat of the game is overcoming human resistance.

Also, re: trench warfare - Limited spawn capabilites of bases. If the attackers bring enough AMSs they will eventually outnumber the defenders. I also imagine the air/tank support outfits are gonna love these battles since the everything-else-support is almost assuredly provided by the huge number of people. ALSO, I bet advanced medics would be loved on these battlegrounds due to the massive spawn queue/equipment lines at all towers/AMSs. Advanced medics would be even more important to the defenders since they would likely have the more limited spawn rate in a large confrontation. Destruction of enemy equipment (especially aircraft/vehicle pads) both in the base and in nearby bases would be crucial to winning massive battles.
In other words, it would make a whole new game in addition to the one already there. They could've just suckered us all into buying it for an extra $30 as "Planetside: Massive Assault Edition", anyways.
Old 2003-04-24, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Saethan
Corporal

I know people have said similar to this before in this exact same thread, but there's still people missing it...

Dunno about you guys, but I plan to take the starve-bases-of-power-behind-enemy-lines route. Destroy everything that takes power for the base to repair(this includes equipment terminals, spawning terminals, gun turrets, just about anything), then destroy any enemy ANT's that come in to try and repower it.

A squad or two could run behind enemy lines and probably break an enemy's matrix without too much effort, either that or split up enemy forces so the enemy goes to deal with the base being drained of ntu's, and loses ground on the front lines.
Old 2003-04-24, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

All I hear from the matrix supporters is:

I want incentive! I want incentive!

Why does everything have to be for points? Don't get me wrong, I like BEPs. But if there's defending to do, it has to be done. I don't need [email protected]#$ing experience just to retain a base. It just needs to be done.

If you want incentive: hold on to bases for your friends, for others in the empire who need technology plants, amp stations, bio labs, etc. There's no bomb, or hostages. Quit treating it like CS.

It's like the short-attention span crowd won over tactics and community play.
Old 2003-04-24, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Robot
Major

Originally posted by Vis Armata
If you want incentive: hold on to bases for your friends, for others in the empire who need technology plants, amp stations, bio labs, etc. There's no bomb, or hostages. Quit treating it like CS.
Let's say you were given a gun and told to go out to a completely abandoned outpost in the middle of nowhere, where there may POSSIBLY be a chance for someone to come and use the facility there, while you gain absolutely nothing by standing in a wall turret scanning constantly for enemies.

Does that sound like fun to you? What's Planetside called again? A game. What's the purpose of games? To have fun. What fun is standing around hoping something will appear and suddenly blow you up just to break the doldrum?
Old 2003-04-24, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
AcidCat
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Tieom
XP is all well and good, but the real meat of the game is overcoming human resistance.

Well said.
Old 2003-04-24, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
AcidCat
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Robot
What fun is standing around hoping something will appear and suddenly blow you up just to break the doldrum?
Another good one, I totally agree.
Old 2003-04-24, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
AcidCat
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Saethan

Dunno about you guys, but I plan to take the starve-bases-of-power-behind-enemy-lines route. Destroy everything that takes power for the base to repair(this includes equipment terminals, spawning terminals, gun turrets, just about anything), then destroy any enemy ANT's that come in to try and repower it.

The facility won't have to expend repair energy if Engineers are around to work their special magic.

3 certs well spent, friends. Every soldier out there should have engineering training.
Old 2003-04-24, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Tieom
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Vis Armata
All I hear from the matrix supporters is:

I want incentive! I want incentive!

Why does everything have to be for points? Don't get me wrong, I like BEPs. But if there's defending to do, it has to be done.
The problem is, as it stands, there is no real reason why defending 'has to be done' - the attackers can just go a few minutes out of their way and cap a base you aren't standing in. That's why we need a matrix, so they CAN'T just go around you - they need to go through you. Or be smart. But most would likely choose to go through you.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion