Naval combat - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Creators of Taco Cereal
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2009-12-07, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
ANaKeR
Private

Re: Naval combat

The problem with the marine environment is that its to flat and boring. If the developers are going to add naval combat, they should add more interesting marine features, like:

• foggy/misty areas with reduced visibility for some cover
  • lagoons, rivers, lakes for interior continent access, surrounded by high cliffs/forest cover
  • island chains with erupting volcano's poking above the surface
  • large wet and dry caves (no accessing via warp gates) with surface access along its length
And the players should definitely be able to swim (none of the walking on the ocean floor). Perhaps instead of getting fatigued and drowning, have a giant marine creature come and eat you after a certain amount of time (client side).

Last edited by ANaKeR; 2009-12-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 2009-12-07, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Kumoblade
Corporal

I do like the idea of Assaulting a Jungle base through a Rain-forest mangrove into a giant cavern beneath a temple on an Air boat.

That would make my day.
Old 2009-12-09, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

TBH I would rather see space based combat than naval, as then you could have a space war, air war and ground war all stacked on top of each other.

Orbital strikes could only be called down by squad commanders if the relevant craft was in orbit, or even better just have them call for general fire support on an area and then artillery, bombers and large ships in orbit get a target on their HUD showing them where to strike; adding a bit of human error and skill into calling down strikes.

In space you could have them fighting for control of orbital stations, which would control drop pods heading for the land below.

Some of the space craft could enter atmosphere, and act as mobile bases hovering above the combat zone, while existing aircraft could head upwards into space and duel without ground pounders interfering. You could also have infantry being transported in Phantasms and Galaxies onto enemy ships, attempting to capture or destroy them.

Space combat would add an extra dynamic to existing fights, while naval will just spread everything out thin; I would like to see it, but I would much prefer space.
Old 2009-12-09, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
JackEarthrider
Corporal

What your saying reminds me a little bit of Battlefront 2; only problem was that it was an old game so they had to make the space battles and the ground battles two separate sections (that was Xbox oringinal by the way).

I agree that it would be very interesting to see a space dynamic involved, but there would need to be some sort of "fire by radar" feature so the space guns could actually focus on something. And there would need to be a way for the ground fighters to fly up there and disable/destroy the ships otherwise it would be too one sided.

All and all I think its a good idea, im mostly just worried about implementation and logistics.
Old 2009-12-10, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
ANaKeR
Private

yeah, Space combat is quite different than Naval combat and it's something to think about (perhaps in a different thread). I would like to see space combat also, but it could get complicated to balance.

Getting back to Naval combat, discussions about surface vehicles have been brought up.

What about sub-surface vehicles/combat?
What about sub-surface bases?
Any thoughts?

Personally, I think it would be the last think to implement after every other aspect to do with the surface is worked out.

Last edited by ANaKeR; 2009-12-10 at 09:39 AM.
Old 2009-12-10, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
JackEarthrider
Corporal

I'd be wary of underwater bases, in RTS games that implement it underwater bases only serve to overcomplicate things.

Now ships big enough that they serve as floating bases I would have no problem with whatsoever (in fact that would be great). However, I think that submersable stuff would only work in a deticated naval combat game.
Old 2009-12-11, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Galapogos
Corporal

Submersible aircraft would be pretty cool, especially if you could choose the weapons like you can with bfrs, since that would allow it to have different roles.
Old 2009-12-11, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
JackEarthrider
Corporal

I just had a thought from one of my previous posts. What if one of the maps was a dedicated naval combat map!

That being that each side has a major ship and they have to search around the waters with hovering craft and aircraft to blow each others carriers up.
Submerseable craft would work great in a map like that, so would smaller ships.

Thats not to say there wouldn't be ships in other areas, but it would be kinda cool to have a predominatly ship focused map (one with high water, dotted with tiny islands).

Anyway just a thought (if abiet unrealistic)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion