This Game Needs a Competitive Mode - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I think the ANT drivers use crank to stay awake....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-03, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rolfski
Major

Re: This Game Needs a Competitive Mode

It's the double edged sword people will never agree on. Hamma made good video on this actually.

Old 2013-02-03, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sifer2
Major

Honestly I don't play PS2 cause I want a very boring competitive match. I play it cause I want to be a part of a large persistent war metagame. Something no other FPS in the world is really delivering. So no I think wasting dev time on competitive mode instead of bringing the metagame up to at least PS1 level is the wrong way to go.

The only thing I could maybe see them doing is designing one of the future continents to be symmetrical. So that when they do have stuff like UES they can have it on there. Something like a continent built an shaped by the ancient Vanu with their ruins all over the place so it make sense for it have uniform design.
Old 2013-02-03, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Vashyo
First Sergeant

even less people on the servers...

Makes me sad some people want PS2 to become less and less like PS1 and more like CS/CoD/BF/UT, don't some of you people allready have enough of those arena shooters, why must every game be like that?

Anyways they're adding some MLG support or something allready so meh...
Old 2013-02-03, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
OCNSethy
Major

Everytime I play... its competitive
Old 2013-02-04, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

As it has been stated countless times, there are enough (and better) "competitive" shooters out there for people who are in it for the "sportsmanship".
For people seeking to be part of a more warlike experience on the other hand there is only this, or WW2Online. So catering to the "competitive players" would end up removing (or aleast diminishing) the unique selling-point of this game.

So regardless of how suitable "e-sports" is for PS2, trying to push it into the game to whatever degree is undermining the very nature of the game (or atleast resources better spent elsewhere).

Seriously, why must every game these days include "e-sports" and "competitive play" even when the game itself is clearly not made for it?
Old 2013-02-04, 01:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
shamE
Private

Originally Posted by Vashyo View Post

Makes me sad some people want PS2 to become less and less like PS1 and more like CS/CoD/BF/UT, don't some of you people allready have enough of those arena shooters, why must every game be like that?

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
As it has been stated countless times, there are enough (and better) "competitive" shooters out there for people who are in it for the "sportsmanship".
For people seeking to be part of a more warlike experience on the other hand there is only this, or WW2Online. So catering to the "competitive players" would end up removing (or aleast diminishing) the unique selling-point of this game.

So regardless of how suitable "e-sports" is for PS2, trying to push it into the game to whatever degree is undermining the very nature of the game (or atleast resources better spent elsewhere).

Seriously, why must every game these days include "e-sports" and "competitive play" even when the game itself is clearly not made for it?
You clearly have no idea how dead competitive pc gaming is out side of LoL, Star craft, and CS. Most game devs don't give a shit about the competition communities of franchises and build their game around their target audience for maximum profit with putting in as little time and effort into the game as possible. The devs that do actually care about competitive gaming 7/10 make horrible games.

SOE is trying to do something that will both boost the popularity of their game and push forward another community that most of the time gets ignored. The people that want competition in planetside want to play planetside, if they want to play one of those other shitty and for the most part dead games they would.

Last edited by shamE; 2013-02-04 at 01:57 AM.
Old 2013-02-04, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

You clearly have no idea how dead competitive pc gaming is out side of LoL, Star craft, and CS.
Quite possible, it's been ten years since i have played in a clan competitively (return to castle wolfenstein that was).

But still, the basic premise of planetside and the premise of "e-sports" contradict each other in my opinion. The most defining part of the "War" experience that is the basic idea of this game is the "uncontrolled" nature of war. As opposed to a controlled sportsmatch with clear defined rules, shakehands at the beginning and a clearly defined timeframe after which the game ends and the results affect some virtual leaderboard.

Supporting that "competitive" mindset might ultimately lead to outfits only caring about their "outfit performance", or individuals only caring about their "personal performance". And let's be honest, that attitude is allready horribly prevalent as it is.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2013-02-04 at 03:34 AM.
Old 2013-02-04, 03:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Pella
Captain

This is "Happening" If people like it or not. Its not going to effect the overall game experience of massive warfare.

But i am all for it as my outfit will benefit massively. As we play online games for this reason.

I have my reservation of PS2 being a Esports. But with some big changes it can.
Old 2013-02-04, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
raw
Sergeant

I think the game will survive a couple of outfits duking it out in competitive mode.
Besides, it probably won't even be whole outfits. Try pitching something above 7v7 to MLG or other ESPORTS leagues. They'll show you the door.

So in essence what competitive mode boils down to is that every day there will be a handful of people removed from the persistent world fighting against each other in an instance for maybe a few hours top. Big deal.

On the other hand, the e-sports factor can not be overestimated when it comes to attracting new players. A commitment to e-sports also means that SOE has to take this game at least somewhat serious, something from which everyone would benefit.

Last edited by raw; 2013-02-04 at 05:22 AM.
Old 2013-02-04, 05:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
PredatorFour
Major

This game doesn't need a competitive mode. People forget that once there are alot more continents in the game the 'competitive mode' will be between the outfits doing resecures/captures, like the old game. A competitive mode is only for stroking epeens which will happen enough in game already

But it's going to happen. I can think of many things they could do to improve the game rather than waste rescources this.
Old 2013-02-04, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
raw
Sergeant

Originally Posted by shamE View Post
You clearly have no idea how dead competitive pc gaming is out side of LoL, Star craft, and CS.
That's because most games are shit. Tribes Ascend trying to go ESPORTS without proper spectator mode and demoing to bring just one recent example.

Why would anyone even bother e-sporting their title without demos?
Old 2013-02-04, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
raw
Sergeant

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
This game doesn't need a competitive mode. People forget that once there are alot more continents in the game the 'competitive mode' will be between the outfits doing resecures/captures, like the old game. A competitive mode is only for stroking epeens which will happen enough in game already

But it's going to happen. I can think of many things they could do to improve the game rather than waste rescources this.
I too think that resources should be spend bringing the game up to a playable standard first and foremost, but I don't think that there's anything actively preventing the title going esport, except SOEs ability to do so.
Old 2013-02-04, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SoUnreal
Private

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
Honestly I don't play PS2 cause I want a very boring competitive match. I play it cause I want to be a part of a large persistent war metagame. Something no other FPS in the world is really delivering. So no I think wasting dev time on competitive mode instead of bringing the metagame up to at least PS1 level is the wrong way to go.

The only thing I could maybe see them doing is designing one of the future continents to be symmetrical. So that when they do have stuff like UES they can have it on there. Something like a continent built an shaped by the ancient Vanu with their ruins all over the place so it make sense for it have uniform design.
Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post

I'm all about the warlike experience which is why I really want this game to go competitive... It's not a skill-based game, so it's not about "epeen" as some others have said, for me, just speaking for myself I want to see it go this route to enhance the war atmosphere of the game and make the war more plausible and so much more meaningful.

So for me in an indirect way it can actually enhance the meta game. Forging rivalries that will definitely boil over into the persistent battlefield. Bragging rights for factions, and more importantly a victor. After-all all wars are eventually won or cease at some point. Anything different is not a war.

With that said it really depends on how you want to look at it, because I can argue that the current metagame is extremely unrealistic and not remotely representative of an actual war. Sure the combat is fun, exciting, and it has the size required to represent a futuristic battlefield. However, since when has a war been fought with infinite human resources? Add the ability to far too often capture important facilities relatively uncontested, and the biggest factor being that no one can win, ever. Making the current metagame nothing but a time kill IMO and not realistic. You don't fight wars to never gain anything, you fight wars to win.

So depending on how they setup competitive it can actually bring a more appropriate and realistic feel to the battles. Assuming that squads will have to account for the fact that they can't send endless zergs at a base and continue to attack until the opposing force decides to logoff in greater numbers than their own. Leaving the door open for battle tactics and soldier skill to play a greater role than it currently does. Battles shouldn't start and end at a set time (at least not in this fashion), but they also shouldn't be won because more Terran had to logoff than NC. Plus, as alluded to earlier after capturing a facility, how "warlike" is it for someone to be able to cap it uncontested one hour after your massive and hard fought battle? Creating a system that better replicates what it actually means to gain and lose territory or soldiers can definitely be a huge benefit in bringing this war to life so to speak. But, again it all comes down to how they set it up. I think something more in-depth than a ladder is definitely required.

If you disagree with me, that's fine. I definitely understand and appreciate the heart of this game. The good thing is, bringing this game to the esport scene won't change what you love about PS one bit as the core metagame and persistent world is still there.

Last edited by SoUnreal; 2013-02-04 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2013-02-04, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SoUnreal
Private

Originally Posted by Vashyo View Post

Going competitive makes PS2 an arena shooter? How? Like I said before the game is nothing like CS, UT, etc which is all the more reason for it to go competitive.

Right now the only options for competitive gamers are Warsow (small community not much happening), Quake Live (terrible community tbh), and CS. Maybe shootmania now.. Two of those games are old, so no there's not much there as far as new and competitive shooters goes.
Old 2013-02-04, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SoUnreal View Post
PlanetSide 2 really needs a separate and distinct mode/server strictly for competitive play. So first, for those not interested in competitive gaming, nothing at all changes for them and the game will continue on without them ever noticing. So it won't affect the core game or metagame one bit.
Couple of points:

Planetside isn't just an FPS it's also an MMO set in a persistent game environment.

That your idea would have 0 affect on the core game and players not interested in E-Sports is doubtful. SOE's interest in E-Sports already influences their design on the game. There's also development time and in the case of a mode rather than a separate server it could also impact regular gameplay.

However, in saying all that and being anti E-Sports in PS2 myself, I would still consider support for your idea for a separate server. In terms of design philosophy for MMOs I've always thought it to be better to have various rulesets on different servers, rather than try to accommodate on a single ruleset groups of players who often have diametrically opposed views on what's good gameplay. This way players like you can have your E-Sports that you love, without ruining the game for the rest of us, as our servers can then have no E-Sport stuff at all.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion