I made a thing (Terran Propaganda Piece) - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: entering pain field, you will now take damage.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-29, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: I made a thing (Terran Propaganda Piece)

Not sure what's RP and what the actual beliefs are in this thread any more.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-29, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Its a Terran Propaganda thread, what do you think?
Old 2012-03-29, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
TheDrone
Sergeant

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't suggesting the NC were good guys, just that the TR certainly aren't either.

They're all severely flawed.
Same. The TR happens to be the least flawed but it's still flawed.

I'm an actual consequentionalist in real life. Tho of course I first started playing TR and stuck with it because I like the gunning style and such.

And they happened to be closest (but still not very close) to my actual ideology.

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Its a Terran Propaganda thread, what do you think?
For Humanity!
For The Republic!
Loyalty Forever!

Old 2012-03-29, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
noxious
Second Lieutenant

A general response to the Terran Republic supposedly being the good guys (this is totally out of character, and you won't hear me bashing the Republic in any further propaganda posts ):

The official canon is quite clear that on Auraxis, the Terran Republic is not what they were back on Earth, particularly if you read some of these entries on the official website.

On Auraxis the Republic is ruled by a rather harsh dictatorship and we see, at least in the eyes of the members of other factions, a very dark portrayal. No doubt, these accounts by the other factions are aggrandized, but when they make reference to the execution of dissenters and state-wide curfews, it is clear that the Terran leadership are far from the kind and benevolent leaders that they were on Earth. The mention of dissenters being executed is particularly telling, because it is made by a member of the Vanu to her brother, a soldier in the Republic. The brother doesn't even defend the Republic against the accusation (he is otherwise quick to defend the Republic's purpose); it is as if such cruel fates are the accepted way of life on Auraxis under the Republic.

At the same time, thanks to the technology they brought from Earth which created the over-abundance of food and resources that allowed their peaceful rule to exist for so long, the Terran Republic on Auraxis are still quite rich, so they will gladly help citizens with free food and healthcare (if only so that they can praise their own leadership in propaganda).

If you consider the change that the TR underwent from the top down after becoming stranded on Auraxis, I believe that my characterization is fairly accurate.

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
I don't like the "'Freedom?' Not on our watch!" bit because it makes them sound like some sort of Pol Pot type deal.
The intended message was to make a mockery of the idea that the NC represent freedom. Like, "NC? Freedom? Hah, that's rich." At the same time, the present-day Republic isn't exactly a bastion of freedom either, so it serves the dual purpose of mocking the NC and assuaging desires for freedom among the TR populace (if only because no major player on Auraxis actually offers it, except maybe those Vanu guys, but they're insane, and, if you believe [my] TR spin-- alien ).
Old 2012-03-29, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Akemo
Corporal

Originally Posted by TheDrone View Post
Apparently not a lot of people know the background of the TR. The TR were the guys who effectively saved mankind and lead it to prosperity.
I agree totally that the Terran Republic saved humanity from itself. A very long time ago. Since then, they have consolidated their power, smothered democracy, and spat on personal freedoms. This is what the TR are doing, and why I am proud to be part of the NC Free.

You know who else saved a nation from the brink of disaster? Adolf Hitler. Then where did he take his glorious nation? Apparently not a lot of people know the background of World War II.

*edit*
Originally Posted by TheDrone View Post
the TR ... abandoned large portions of the democratic process (after a vote ...)
The TR military machine held a farce of a vote under the facade of a democratic election, the rigged result of which consolidated the corrupt TR military's grip on power.

Fixed.

Last edited by Akemo; 2012-03-29 at 01:22 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-29, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by noxious View Post
A general response to the Terran Republic supposedly being the good guys (this is totally out of character, and you won't hear me bashing the Republic in any further propaganda posts ):

The official canon is quite clear that on Auraxis, the Terran Republic is not what they were back on Earth, particularly if you read some of these entries on the official website.
You're reading NC and Vanu perspectives, of course they're going to show that the republic isn't what they were because that makes it easier for their followers to leave the republic. Every faction sees themselves as the good guys and will demonize the others.

If you're writing TR propaganda, you need to ignore the writings of NC and VS and only absorb the TR viewpoint.
Old 2012-03-29, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
noxious
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
You're reading NC and Vanu perspectives, of course they're going to show that the republic isn't what they were because that makes it easier for their followers to leave the republic. Every faction sees themselves as the good guys and will demonize the others.
Read the rest of the post you quoted, or read the stories that are in that link. Of course the other factions exaggerate, but there is obviously some truth behind it all. it is unfortunate that there isn't more official PlanetSide fiction that describes the ideologies of each faction, but alas, there isn't a whole lot to go on. From what little does exist, from their colors and visual style, and from their slogans like "Loyalty until death," I see them as similar to the Enclave from Fallout, from which their visual style was clearly derived, and wrote from the perspective of a [propagandist writing for a] leader of that sort of faction.
Old 2012-03-29, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Read the rest of the post you quoted, or read the stories that are in that link. Of course the other factions exaggerate, but there is obviously some truth behind it all. it is unfortunate that there isn't more official PlanetSide fiction that describes the ideologies of each faction, but alas, there isn't a whole lot to go on. From what little does exist, from their colors and visual style, and from their slogans like "Loyalty until death," I see them as similar to the Enclave from Fallout, from which their visual style was clearly derived, and wrote from the perspective of a [propagandist writing for a] leader of that sort of faction.
FACTION BOOKS!

We need three books, all individual stories, all written with the bias of each faction. Stories/novels in their own right much like Halo's accompanying books, not necessarily linked, but awesome stories based around characters and events within each faction, from that faction's perspective. Screw making the lines of what each faction actually is like canon, keep everything blurry so faction competitiveness and argument can continue.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-29, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
TheDrone
Sergeant

FACTION BOOKS!

We need three books, all individual stories, all written with the bias of each faction. Stories/novels in their own right much like Halo's accompanying books, not necessarily linked, but awesome stories based around characters and events within each faction, from that faction's perspective. Screw making the lines of what each faction actually is like canon, keep everything blurry so faction competitiveness and argument can continue.
Just faction books?
We need faction sites.
We need 3 different booths on conventions and gaming events (such as GDC and Pax) recruiting soldiers the same way the US army does.
We need actors (both males and females) in dress uniform addressing youngsters explaining them why they should fight for the TR (or yea I guess NC or VS too).
We need professionally made recruitment vids for all factions.

The PS1 faction militancy kinda worked, and it could be a great marketing tool.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-29, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Noxious, you're trying to hard to get to the "truth" - it doesn't exist. There's just three sides, and that's all that matters. It could be the TR are exactly the same, and the NC are just greedy and the VS don't like having their research and projects controlled and scrutinized. Or maybe they're different. It doesn't matter. The TR aren't going to do any self-reflecting and see if maybe they screwed up somewhere along the line, they're going to fix the problem by re-uniting humanity once more through force.

I like faction sites could be where the faction news correspondants write their reporting.

Link latest faction news articles to the main PS2 site along with current battle maps.
Old 2012-03-29, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

...Terran scum. Your propaganda is filled with lies, it further exposes your own hypocrisy!

Well just so long as it is in the context of Auraxis, it counts as RPing, no matter how much of what we believe IRL goes into our interactions. Though if I was actually on Auraxis, I'd be VS.
Old 2012-03-29, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Graywolves
General

Was awesome, I loved it.
Old 2012-03-29, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

except maybe those Vanu guys, but they're insane, and, if you believe [my] TR spin-- alien ).
I so need to write a VS propaganda piece celebrating the continuing success of our genetic manipulation experiments.
Old 2012-03-29, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I so need to write a VS propaganda piece celebrating the continuing success of our genetic manipulation experiments.
We still need to write ? Oh right ! For the heathens...
Old 2012-03-29, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Somehow I always envisioned the TR posters to look more like Soviet propaganda from 1950's. And this is more 19th century. Still, it reflects the TR attitude very much indeed.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion