Server Resets? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Known to cause spam
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-03, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Server Resets?

Do server resets happen at all? or on a regular basis and I'm just not noticing it? or is there some new tech that makes server resets obsolete? Games seeming pretty choppy, getting worse with each day.

Outfit just did a Alert (on Indar) and most of us during the Alert were suffering 15s or more of Lag.

Pretty discouraging to tank mine a Sundy, nothing happens until 15 seconds later.

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-06-04 at 12:00 AM.
Old 2013-06-04, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Chewy
Major

Re: Server Resets?

Waterson has been rather bad lately on Indar. Squad v squad fights would make tools not work or take MUCH longer than they should and tonight I had a few delays with hit markers showing. Id hit someone and no marker for about a second or have to hold a maxed out revive tool a long time just to start working. We even had someone that could have near unlimited drifters thanks to the game not seeing that he used the fuel and refilling the tanks to max. I had a cloak do the same thing if I didn't get it under half.

It wasn't lag because there was no tell tell clues of lag. No one was warping around, vehicles never jumped, aircraft never deformed, and the map never spazed out. The lattice is GREAT, but the side effects are shit. Im going to have to lower a few settings so I can record again.
Old 2013-06-04, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

That sounds exactly like what my Outfit went through tonight. Been seeing little bits of it the last few days and just dismissed them as multiple platoons vs multiple platoons and the lag that would come from so many units in a single zone...

But when all of that which you just listed happens when your squad is hunting infiltrators far behind allied lines, where there's no such major conflicts, things seem a bit fishy...

Weekly Server Restarts please! This in-game delay stuff is game breaking!
Old 2013-06-04, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Chewy
Major

Well it was only squad v squad a few times. DVS was doing R&D squads with gal drops tonight and the night started with back capping to get a feel for what classes worked best in certain conditions. First fight was at the Palisade and our one squad with maybe 5-10 blues in the area against what looked like a little less in numbers from TR. Next door was the normal Crown fight against TR and VS. My medic gun already went wonky and I had to stop recording thanks to FPS dipping to 30. Healing took longer and often I had to over heal for it to take effect and not revert a bit. It was worse for repairs thanks to the tool overheating. Felt like using a stock tool set again with how slow things went. I maxed out my medic gun and near maxed out the repair tool for speed, having to sit over a dead man in the open for longer than I should cost me a lot of lives.

Later in a Tech plant fight and the NC zerg massed up in that choke point was when fuel tanks and such got real iffy. I noticed that all abilities lasted longer than what my screen said. Id run out of fuel and still be healing, cloaked, or jetting for a a bit longer.

I agree, restarts should happen every number of days if not once a week. But only if it can be done and not cost a cont cap. TR may have ghosted for triple caps the past few nights during dead times but they earned the caps on Waterson. I don't like that they took Indar without much of a real fight, but it gives us something to work for and something for the TR to defend. Fights get fucking good when the TR are about to loose that cap.
Old 2013-06-04, 01:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

The game hasn't been able to cope with a continent full of players for weeks now. Thought they had fixed it when they updated to the newest GU, but alas.
The lag is basicly destroying my will to play this game and my guess is that it's scaring away a lot of players. If they are unable to fix whatever it was that caused the lag to start, besides there being a lot of players (Which the game is supposed to be able to handle!) then they should just go with server restarts.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-04, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Weekly server restarts, make it happen Sony!

It's really not a bad thing at all, servers be down for a minute, maybe 5 minutes tops. Easy price to pay if it means the server will run smooth for the rest of the week!
Old 2013-06-04, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Nur
Sergeant

Have you ever played on indar, peak time with alert?

better change continent.

Lag will kill the game. no medkit, repair, ammo working.

Lag consequences is the only big problem of this game.

Optimization of client is still required.
Old 2013-06-04, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'm assuming that's what the OP is asking, server restarts? Probably with GUs and Hotfixes. Remember though, a PlanetSide 2 Server is many servers and many complex working parts.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-06, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'm assuming that's what the OP is asking, server restarts? Probably with GUs and Hotfixes. Remember though, a PlanetSide 2 Server is many servers and many complex working parts.
Server restarts or they need to upgrade. It's gotten worse not better, and quality of gameplay continues to degrade because of it. Last night during peak time on Mattherson there were numerous lag outs. One or two over a long game sessions, endurable. Numerous? SOE needs to put finding a solution to this issue on the top of the stack asap.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Shogun
Contributor
General

i don´t wanna read "planetside 2 was not successful, because it was too much ahead of its time and the server hardware couldn´t handle the ambitious amount of players" in 10 years from now.

been there, done that! with a game that was much better and had a very similar name.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-06, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i don´t wanna read "planetside 2 was not successful, because it was too much ahead of its time and the server hardware couldn´t handle the ambitious amount of players" in 10 years from now.

been there, done that! with a game that was much better and had a very similar name.
Oh snap!

Seriously though, if a quick reboot helps...then give it a go every week. If, for whatever reason, it doesn't help then fix that shit!

Note: They're probably putting this on the front burner to get this shit fixed. I hope.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion