24/7 Beta or "Weekends"? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Kid Tested Mother Approved
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-11, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Re: 24/7 Beta or "Weekends"?

I'm a server, and currently work Thurs-sunday doubles. Beta weekends = very bad for me.
Old 2012-07-11, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Chronicle
Private

24/7, mainly because I doubt I'm not the only one here who works a shift pattern.
Old 2012-07-11, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Furber
First Sergeant

Maybe they won't do weekends, RadarX just said they won't immediately be 24/7. Could be more like 5 days of playing to 5 days of updating or something. Hopefully it won't end up like the GW2 beta where you get to play 3 specific days every 5 weeks.
Old 2012-07-11, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Furber View Post
Maybe they won't do weekends, RadarX just said they won't immediately be 24/7. Could be more like 5 days of playing to 5 days of updating or something. Hopefully it won't end up like the GW2 beta where you get to play 3 specific days every 5 weeks.
Good Lord, how did they effectively test that game?
Old 2012-07-11, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Furber
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Good Lord, how did they effectively test that game?
No idea, the game hasn't come out yet so we'll see just how bad the beta process was.
Old 2012-07-11, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
LegioX
First Sergeant

Beta needs to frecking hurry up. I'm tired of playing BF 3.
Old 2012-07-11, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
You see I understand the need to take the game down regularly for beta when updates need to be applied and you need to obtain the results of said updates asap. The problem with this is you are going to get people who are in beta that are not going to attempt to test play the game, they are going to want to 'Play' the game. To those players, if the game is significanly unbalanced or laggy or their play time is taken away from, they are going to speak ill of the game.

You really need to have an outside source for a team that comes in and beta tests just like you need people to come in and do technical tests.

I'm sure SOE has it under control, I was just throwing my two cents in.
Non Disclosure Agreement
Old 2012-07-11, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Non Disclosure Agreement
This right here usually forces them to keep their traps shut and suffer through the problems. They're freebie testers from the outside getting world exclusive hands on time with an unfinished product. Leashing a shock collar on them should keep them from barking about the laggy, buggy, time constraint riddled Planetside if all they want to do is play without writing any status/bug reports.

Make no mistake though, they really do want us to focus on playing, just as rowdy as possible.
Old 2012-07-11, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
As has been mentioned, Beta will not begin 24/7 due to the regular updates happening to the game. Once we have a large sampling of folks, you can be certain it will be up most of the time.
This is excellent news

Old 2012-07-11, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
This right here usually forces them to keep their traps shut and suffer through the problems. They're freebie testers from the outside getting world exclusive hands on time with an unfinished product. Leashing a shock collar on them should keep them from barking about the laggy, buggy, time constraint riddled Planetside if all they want to do is play without writing any status/bug reports.

Make no mistake though, they really do want us to focus on playing, just as rowdy as possible.
But would someone who thinks its a laggy POS really care if they got kicked out of the beta?

Not that I agree taking a beta down for updated would have much of a negative effect. As long as they post a few hours (at least) before theyre taking it down, I really don't mind.

Good, finished, clean game > Beta tester party tyme!
Old 2012-07-11, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Russ
Corporal

Id actually like to see a 24/7 thing go on. It would be good for the devs to see how the persistent system really works with 2000 people on each server fighting for basses and trying new things.

Also i really like this because they can roll patches out fairly quickly (like once a day) for small changes, like weapon balances or minor bugs, to get feedback on the really quick. Then give out larger fixes more spread out while still getting feedback. Ive been in a few betas like this where it really felt like things were able to get changed much faster and get feedback much quicker on them.

Though it is more intense on the devs to do it this way, but i feel it really helps push for a stronger game when release actually happens.

Edit: and since i started writing this someone said it may go to 24/7 which is awesome

Last edited by Russ; 2012-07-11 at 07:31 PM.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Inverness
Private

I don't see how you could go wrong with 24/7. The longer you have people playing, the more issues you can iron out. Even outfits can organize their own test events at their leisure to help out; we do have a great community.
Old 2012-07-11, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Burnzblood
Corporal

Wow thanks Radar for the response! However beta is handled does not really matter to me, as long as we get a quality product out of it. Just excited to get in and begin testing!
Old 2012-07-11, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Xzi
Private

Originally Posted by Furber View Post
No idea, the game hasn't come out yet so we'll see just how bad the beta process was.
Actually, Anet is doing a pretty good job with it. They gather data and player reports over the weekend and then take as much time as needed to fix the problems detailed within. Then host the next beta event. With stress tests scattered in-between.

From my first CBT event to the most recent one, they've fixed and polished a LOT. Very excited for the release of GW2. Between that and PS2, I doubt I'll have any free time left.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
outsider
Private

It's funny, whenever a persistent game comes out and has to keep going down for maintenance/patches or the devs chose a patch window, it almost always negatively affects Australian game times ( as the patch will occur during prime time EST ).

Any time an Aussie has the temerity to mention it on a forum, they'll get beat down and pounced on for being selfish and think of the poor devs who have to stay late to do patching at a time convenient for the Aussies. It's generally quite an ugly thread, that devolves into pointless name calling, and listings of past debts.

This is a perfect opportunity for consistency, think of the number of devs who would have to stay nursing servers and being able to solve problems in a 24/7 beta model. Think about how this will slow down the actual release of the game with so many of the team taken off the work they need to be doing, so that they can sit there at 4:00am PDT in case the Euro crew break something.

Stop being selfish, if you/we can't make a short test window than thats Real Life. 24/7 off the bat won't work and will actually slow down the release of the game due to manpower constraints.

The devs keep stepping up to be cool to the PS community, and this is an opportunity for us to be cool as well.

Come on, we all know a 24/7 model isn't realistic straight away.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion