Ressource colection % based on players population and contestation ! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Best thing since POKEMON!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-26, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
iSpectre
Private

Re: Ressource colection % based on players population and contestation !

Are resources earned passively whilst you're logged out?
Do you receive half your empire's tick rate whilst offline?
Or will there be a cap for how many resources one can earn whilst off-line? only 3 hours at 50% of your empire's total earnings or something.

Because then having some good groups of people go around off peak-time and grabbing some hex's will lead to people logging in with a nice jump in their resource count.
Old 2012-04-26, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Plan right now is you gain resources based on the region you're fighting in. One of the main objectives is to allow you to sustain a fight when you're 0-based on the continent. You won't be cashing any fat checks, but ideally you'll be able to keep yourself equipped in vehicles, etc., when you're assaulting a region that gives you lots of resources. It also makes it so it's not an all-or-nothing thing with winning and losing, if you are participating actively in a defense or an assault, regardless of the result, you'll get some benefit for being involved, especially if it's a large scale battle.
Doesnt that take away the entire "assault ressource X to take away enemys ability to get certain stuff" mechanic?
Old 2012-04-26, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Doesnt that take away the entire "assault ressource X to take away enemys ability to get certain stuff" mechanic?
Not really, because if you take the bases you don't want the enemy to have, your entire empire will benefit from the base as long as it's in their hands. The enemy will only benefit during the battles for the land in question.

Meaning less overall resources for the enemy empire as a whole.

If I am understanding everything correctly that is.
Old 2012-04-26, 07:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Thats nice but if there any mechanics thats will make (( empty regions ))to not worth it in the (( dead zone hours )) of a certain servers ?

So i mean no contestation will take a way to much time to cap the regions so that will not worth it so players will be concentrate mostly on regions thats actual figth take place ?
The problem with this is time zones. If I live in a country where my usual play time is during the "dead zone hours", then I'm going to go online only to find that there is a separate set of rules for my gaming experience then for someone who lets say, lives in America and logs in during peak times.

Also the fact is actively trying to prevent this just goes against the warfare aspect of this game. Its restricting tactics and restricting certain peoples play-styles. Though personally I would not indulge in capping empty region (as that sounds boring as hell), I do think that it is an inevitable aspect of the game which shouldn't just be killed off out of hand.

Like it has been said, all Empires will be doing this so its not just a case of everyone capping NC lands whenever you're asleep, so it will even itself out.
Old 2012-04-26, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I only have one concern with the system Higby described. It sounds like it'll encourage people toward a handful of huge battles, which is awesome... so long as the engine can handle it.

Anyone who remembers the years of EVE after the POS expansion would be familiar with mechanics that push together more players than the game can handle. In order to assault a player owned starbase you needed a large fleet, which forced the enemy to gather a large fleet to stop you, so you called for reinforcements and made an even larger fleet and so on. Eventually everyone would find themselves in the same star system, a huge fight would break out between the two sides and less than a minute later the server node would collapse. Sometimes it didn't even get that far, the node would collapse as one side was jumping in.

So in the end a server cluster that worked perfectly fine when 50,000 people were spread out across the single shard failed miserably when just 300 of them came together for a fight.

Anyway I'm sure the team has thought of this already, but it's an extra challenge because it means you can't count on the population of a map being spread across a wide area. Actually I'd be really interested to see how they set up the server clusters to do load balancing in a game like this.
Old 2012-04-26, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Flisher
Private

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I only have one concern with the system Higby described. It sounds like it'll encourage people toward a handful of huge battles, which is awesome... so long as the engine can handle it.
Back in 2003, we where having 2 or 3 way fight with more than 250 people per team in the same area without any real problem. I don't think i'll be an issue in PS2.
Old 2012-04-26, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Raymac
Brigadier General

I kind of read Higby's explaination as regions = hexes, since some "hexes" are actually multiple hexes combined. But I've been known to be wrong about alot of things.

Old 2012-04-26, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Noivad
Master Sergeant

Prime Time is directly relational to where you live and the amount of population that in RL exist to play the game. So there are three Major Prime times right off the bat. Europe's, East Coast USA, West Coast USA, and if allowed on the Server, The Chineese.
Which is ok by me they helped the overall pop on the PS 1 Server during slack time and were good players to fight against. They just used different Tactics.

The only real difference though with battles during Prime Time amd battles during slack time is the amount of battle choise. More people = more battles over a greater area.

While some battles are epic, and some not, the fact is no battle is exactly alike.

Back in 2004 and 2005, when people did not have good computers they played in the backwaters to stay away from the lag from the big battles. But those who know me, know, I have played all the time zones on every day of the week cause my RL schedule turns around like a clock. Well it did not so bad now.

I always found a good battle to get into no matter what time it was.

So resources will always be coming in for those involved with battles.

"There is NO "I" in Teamwork"

DOG SLOGAN - "It's not the size of the DOG in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the DOG"

DOG BATTLE CRY - " Cry 'Havoc,' and Let Slip The DOG's OF War. "

And Hamma I see the VS and the NC have infiltrated your board. So the TR will have to kill them all and make them the yellow bastards they are

Last edited by Noivad; 2012-04-26 at 12:32 PM.
Old 2012-04-26, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Noivad View Post
Prime Time is directly relational to where you live and the amount of population that in RL exist to play the game.
I always found a good battle to get into no matter what time it was.

So resources will always be coming in for those involved with battles.
The goal is certainly not to punish anyones for whats hours thay are playing on the goal is making sure thats some silly people dont try to exploits the game ( when the servers is in the Low pop hours )

Saying thats no ones will try to do thats if their is no systhem to denied them to do it Its the same thats saying People will not hack so we can let the game run whiout an punkbuster like anti cheat systhem !

We all know some people will try to exploits the game so we need systhem build from the ground up to reward people who actually figth and achive objective in the fair way !

And higby as said thats the game will provide a way more ressources in huge battle thats logic because big battle = more chance to be take down more ressource need to be spend to achive ur goal so the reward is bigers !

A systhem that denied people to (( farm ressource )) whitout a figth during low pop hours is more than needed ive already saw many people planning to do such thing to bank roll tons of ressources ! So i want to denied them to do it !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-04-26 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2012-04-26, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
KrackerJacked
Private

Then go on at that time and stop them
Old 2012-04-26, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Well a big difference between PS1 and 2 is there will be MANY more servers available (certainly this is true at launch) and you off-hours or nether region guys should obviously try to congregate on just the busy ones.
I agree. Recent popular MMOs have picked up a million or more players around launch time. If we divide that among servers with a 6000 active player capacity, I expect the popular servers to be nearly full at all times.

Sure, there will be some servers with low populations, but you could always start an alt on one of the heavily used servers if you'll be playing during non-peak hours.
Old 2012-04-26, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Brusi
Contributor
Major

A systhem that denied people to (( farm ressource )) whitout a figth during low pop hours is more than needed ive already saw many people planning to do such thing to bank roll tons of ressources ! So i want to denied them to do it !
Do we even know if resources are tradable? If they are not... how does farming in off-peak times actually even become a problem?

Obviously if there is a way to farm resources freely, without ANY opposition then the system is flawed... But i still doubt that situation will arise.

If players are playing 16-20hrs a day, and gaining massive amounts more resources than the average players who only logs on for an hour or two after work, during peak-time... then hell, i don't really see a problem there?

Well, except that they have an addiction and will probably get very sick...

Then again, I might feel this way simply because i will probably play PS2 for 16-20hrs a day...

Regardless Stew, we don't fully understand the system yet, and nothing has been said to elude to the fact that farming without opposition will be a viable strategy, peak OR off-peak!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-04-26, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Toppopia
Major

I don't think players should be penalised for playing off peak times, because for example i live in New Zealand so at around my 5pm it is roughly US's midnight (give or take 1-2 for different time zones), so if i log on at that time i should be penalised because that's the only time i can play? That doesn't seem very fair.
Old 2012-04-27, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I don't think players should be penalised for playing off peak times, because for example i live in New Zealand so at around my 5pm it is roughly US's midnight (give or take 1-2 for different time zones), so if i log on at that time i should be penalised because that's the only time i can play? That doesn't seem very fair.
You will not get penalise as long as you dont try to cap empty based having in mind to farm (( free )) ressources !

As long as u figth in a (( populated )) regions thats mean lets say their is 400 people in the servers and most combat take place in 2 regions as long as u figth in those 2 regions you will be reward the same as most players in full load servers !

The principe of the whole thing is Not reward people who try to be silly and FARM free ressource from empty regions or continents with 0 contestations on it !

in order to get ressource bonus you have to figth for it !
Old 2012-04-27, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Toppopia
Major

You will not get penalise as long as you dont try to cap empty based having in mind to farm (( free )) ressources !

As long as u figth in a (( populated )) regions thats mean lets say their is 400 people in the servers and most combat take place in 2 regions as long as u figth in those 2 regions you will be reward the same as most players in full load servers !

The principe of the whole thing is Not reward people who try to be silly and FARM free ressource from empty regions or continents with 0 contestations on it !

in order to get ressource bonus you have to figth for it !
I don't mind not getting bonus resources for capping if no one is there, i would just like the option to cap bases so that my empire gets a little boost for when they all wake up from their nanite sleeps, or are we saying that capping a base with no one there should only give 10% of its normal output until more people log on?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion