removing fog from the maps. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All your bases are belong to us
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-06, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
wave
Private

removing fog from the maps.

There is a discussion on the beta forums about modifying your .ini files to remove fog. The difference is quite stunning. Unfortunately the posts on how to actually modify the .ini files are being deleted. Does anyone here know the trick?

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...-inside.27654/

Old 2012-10-06, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: removing fog from the maps.

It's sad that people do this. The developers put fog there for a reason... it's a snowy continent and visibility is limited. Deal with it. I really enjoy the playstyle of Esamir, flying is especially fun... always have to watch where you're going.

Maybe once they implement weather they'll have clear days and foggy days.
Old 2012-10-06, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

The PS1 flora issue is back !
Old 2012-10-06, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
The PS1 flora issue is back !
Indeed.

There should be no way in the client to disable this, hopefully they tweak it back.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-10-06, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tooterfish
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Looks like a cheat to me. If anything, Fog should just be another weather phenomenon that cycles from clear to low visibility.

Read my game blog @ www.roffle.com

Last edited by Tooterfish; 2012-10-06 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-10-06, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Fanglord
Sergeant

Yeah, I would put this on a cheat list; I can see the AA tricks being fine but this clearly gives an advantage to the user.

plus I think it looks more dramatic with the fog.
Old 2012-10-07, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

The fog is ugly. It makes the game look 5 years older and the overall visual experience suffers greatly from it. It would be cool if the fog was a weather phenomenon during certain times or part of a blizzard or something - that would be awesome. But not like this.

It is so ugly that even higby disabled it during his preview video:

So here is the answer to the question of this thread (I post this because it is also applicable to indar, where everything is prettier too without the fog, complaints about fog because it is ugly have always been there since beta and these tweaks are nothing new):

[Removed]

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-10-07 at 10:03 PM.
Old 2012-10-07, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
EVILoHOMER
Major

This looks much better, what do I have to change to make it look like this? The bullshit fog they add just makes the game look like crap. Also is there an option to turn off the bullshit Depth of Field blur effects and Bloom?

I just want the game to look crisp, instead there is a ton of shit slapped over.
Old 2012-10-07, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Legolas
Private

<.<

I believe tis "[Removed]" that has the aptitude for the removal of the fogs.

>.>

edit - Oh, already posted above. Eh. Whatever.

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-10-07 at 10:04 PM.
Old 2012-10-07, 05:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SpottyGekko
Sergeant

There should be a mechanic in PS2 that gives increased XP for playing the game "as intended", kinda like the handicap in a game of golf

Let's face it, playing without the fog on Esamir is a clear (pun intended) advantage. FPS players have always been eager to find some "advantage", even if it means "tweaking game files" or using "3rd party helper apps"... *cough*
Old 2012-10-07, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SpottyGekko View Post
There should be a mechanic in PS2 that gives increased XP for playing the game "as intended", kinda like the handicap in a game of golf

Let's face it, playing without the fog on Esamir is a clear (pun intended) advantage. FPS players have always been eager to find some "advantage", even if it means "tweaking game files" or using "3rd party helper apps"... *cough*
Can we please stop this "omg this is an advantage, you are cheating!" stuff? This is beta and if the community doesn't want the fog and it looks shitty, it should be removed. For everybody. When the game is released and all features are in I will be on your side and stuff like this will be considered cheating, but until then let's keep this focused on feedback, okay?

Do you like the fog or not? Do you want it to stay or should it go? What looks better?
Old 2012-10-07, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Legolas
Private

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Can we please stop this "omg this is an advantage, you are cheating!" stuff? This is beta and if the community doesn't want the fog and it looks shitty, it should be removed. For everybody. When the game is released and all features are in I will be on your side and stuff like this will be considered cheating, but until then let's keep this focused on feedback, okay?

Do you like the fog or not? Do you want it to stay or should it go? What looks better?
I like how fog adds an interesting whether mechanic, and in small doses I'd like the look of it.

I don't think an either/or answer is necessary. What I want to see is fog being reduced to half-hour periods for no more than two hours total in a day. The rest of the day would be clear, but sometimes you would have fog.
Old 2012-10-07, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
EVILoHOMER
Major

Make fog dynamic and add it to a weather system then, just don't have it all the time.
Old 2012-10-07, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
EVILoHOMER
Major

I'm guessing setting this to zero is it? When I start the game it goes back to 1 :\

[Removed]

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-10-07 at 10:04 PM.
Old 2012-10-07, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shogun
Contributor
General

i don´t like the fog.

it should be a weather phenomenal only, not a permanent thing.

it would be very cool, if there was just some morning fog, maybe even as a local phenomenom in only some areas of the map like valleys. but it has to dissolve during the day to show the full beauty of the game!

distance blur is also very bad! hey, please include this in the next patchnotes:
we managed to finish our greatest invention for the soldiers on the battlefield! and we call it "glasses"
the soldiers will be able to see crisp and clear even at distances of (insert appropriate ingame value here)!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-10-07 at 10:07 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion