News: Developer spotlight with Margaret Krohn - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Down more than a $2 Whore.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-12, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Developer spotlight with Margaret Krohn

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Responding purely off of what the quoted portion of the interview has mentioned; Playing female characters versus playing male characters has little to no interest to mainstream FPS fans.

Granted, the minority of females that give a damn that will play Planetside 2 care, the masses don't really give a rats ass.

If you want to play more toward the female gender, add GUI skins, 'girly' sound effect replacement packs, female armor customizations out the wahzoo... Tons of other options.... I could name 100... going to spare the TL/DR.

Though I could dig a medic screaming in a sexy female voice "come here! let me fix your body!"
My gf is psyched that she can play a female in a modern shooter. So that's at least one additional potential customer they've captured.

Not to mention like 50% of the population in PS1 made a female it seemed.

Last edited by Bags; 2012-04-12 at 10:50 PM.
Old 2012-04-12, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
PS and EQ are mainstream, derp.

I truly feel bad for you if you think indie games are automatically bad just because they're indie. Also, congratulations for listing a bunch of games nobody cares about.

lol PS topped out at 60k players, in 2003 its not mainstream, also playing EQ2 in 2012 is also not mainsteam.

No they're indie because they're shit, at the point they become popular they're nolonger indie or alternative, see minecraft, dude is worth millions and has enough money to fund development of a AAA title, not indie anymore.

so mister hipster man what indie games should we be caring about? or would listing them make them too mainsteam?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-12, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Luperza
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I'd just like to interject and say that there are definitely some awesome indie games out there.

I highly recommend checking out Humble Bundle. Some great games worth the small price for hours of entertainment value. =]

Last edited by Luperza; 2012-04-12 at 11:36 PM.
Old 2012-04-12, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by PurrfectStorm View Post
I'd just like to interject and say that there are definitely some awesome indie games out there.

I highly recommend checking out Humble Bundle. Some great games worth hours of entertainment value. =]
You mean you didn't list every single game you play in that short little interview? Or you didn't throw some obscure game that most people haven't heard about just to sound all cool and hipster? I'm shocked.

Old 2012-04-12, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
lol PS topped out at 60k players, in 2003 its not mainstream, also playing EQ2 in 2012 is also not mainsteam.

No they're indie because they're shit, at the point they become popular they're nolonger indie or alternative, see minecraft, dude is worth millions and has enough money to fund development of a AAA title, not indie anymore.

so mister hipster man what indie games should we be caring about? or would listing them make them too mainsteam?
You clearly have no idea what "indie" is. Notch, the Minecraft dude, is Indie because he doesn't answer to a corporation, only himself. Money doesn't constitute what "indie" is, only how the company operates.

Just because something isn't mainstream doesn't mean it's indie, and just because something is indie doesn't make it not-mainstream. Let's fire off some examples here.

Mainstream, not Indie: Call of Duty (Activision)
Mainstream, Indie: Minecraft (Notch and a couple other guys)
Not Mainstream, not Indie: Fire Emblem (Nintendo)
Not Mainstream, Indie: VVVVVV (Two guys)

The criteria for Mainstream is: A vast majority of the consumer market plays it, many people who don't even play video games know about it
The criteria for Indie is: Small team(two dozen+ would be pushing it), not owned by a major corporation. The equivalent to a mom&pop shop.

PS and EQ/2 were mainstream FOR THEIR TIME. Just because they're dead/not-played-as-much-as-WOW now doesn't mean they weren't mainstream at one point.

Games everybody should care about, because they're actually quality games, would include:

Team Fortress Classic / Fortress Forever (playing Casual Fortress 2 over these just shows that you're terrible at video games and only play them for the simple fact that they're popular)
Mega Man (excluding spinoff)
Fire Emblem (excluding the handheld releases)
Armored Core (excluding AC5)

It just makes me angry that people throw around the word "Gamer" (a word I would use to describe someone who only plays in the mainstream) and listing off a bunch of mainstream garbage, acting like they're the shit, when they've never played any game that requires even a small bit of of thought and effort in order to succeed at. You're nothing special if all you do is play mainstream, and you would get completely OBLITERATED if you tried any video game with any sort of difficulty to it.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
SKYeXile
Major General

Been a "good" player in a game nobody else plays means you're probably only average in a more popular game, its why you choose the lesser known titles to feel like a big fish in a small pond.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-04-13, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

It just makes me angry that people throw around the word "Gamer" (a word I would use to describe someone who only plays in the mainstream) and listing off a bunch of mainstream garbage, acting like they're the shit, when they've never played any game that requires even a small bit of of thought and effort in order to succeed at. You're nothing special if all you do is play mainstream, and you would get completely OBLITERATED if you tried any video game with any sort of difficulty to it.
Dude, you are so far out of touch its not even funny. Being a gamer has nothing to do with mainstream, indie, easy, or hard. If you play ANY game, I don't care if it's PONG, and you consider that your preferred source of entertainment, your a gamer. Go stroke your elitist ego somewhere else.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-04-13 at 12:17 AM.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
RNFB
First Sergeant

Been a "good" player in a game nobody else plays means you're probably only average in a more popular game, its why you choose the lesser known titles to feel like a big fish in a small pond.
Incorrect.

Many people are not playing these "obscure" games for a reason: It's too hard for them. The learning curve is ridiculously steep, something the average Joe doesn't want to climb, thus the level of skill required to compete with the best is something they never attain.

Someone who is ridiculously good at Team Fortress Classic or Fortress Forever would completely trash everyone in a game of Team Fortress 2, because TF2 is a very simple game compared to the other TF games.

If a TF2 player tried to play TFC or FF, they would get annihilated because if they had the skill to not get annihilated in the first place, they wouldn't be playing TF2 and would instead be playing the better games.

I, and many of these other people that play these less popular games, play them because the mainstream titles are too easy and boring for us. We play harder games because we like the challenge and depth they provide.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Dude, you are so far out of touch its not even funny. If you play ANY game, I don't care if it's PONG, and you consider that your preferred source of entertainment, your a gamer.
If I only drank mainstream beer and wine at crummy parties, would I be knowledgeable in the finer details of social drinks?

If I only listened to the radio, would I be knowledgeable in the finer arts of music?

If I only played T-Ball with my kids on a cool saturday afternoon, would I would knowledgeable in the finer details of sports?

No.

If you only stick to the mainstream, you have no business acting like you know everything about what you're doing.

P.S sorry for double posting, bad habit from being a regular on a forum with no editing.

Last edited by RNFB; 2012-04-13 at 12:16 AM.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

If I only drank mainstream beer and wine at crummy parties, would I be knowledgeable in the finer details of social drinks?
How i the hell is this relevant?
If I only listened to the radio, would I be knowledgeable in the finer arts of music? Same as above.

If I only played T-Ball with my kids on a cool saturday afternoon, would I would knowledgeable in the finer details of sports?

No.

If you only stick to the mainstream, you have no business acting like you know everything about what you're doing. Again...relevance?

P.S sorry for double posting, bad habit from being a regular on a forum with no editing.
How does any of your post tie into defining her status as a gamer? If I drink a case of Milwaukee's Best Light every day, that would be a drinker, probably an alcoholic. If playing electronic video games is "your thing"...you're a gamer. It has nothing to do with the difficulty of the games you play. She plays LOTS of games, since she was like 13. Games are a huge part of her life...I would MOST DEFINITELY say she is a "gamer."

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-04-13 at 12:30 AM.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
SKYeXile
Major General

Incorrect.

Many people are not playing these "obscure" games for a reason: It's too hard for them. The learning curve is ridiculously steep, something the average Joe doesn't want to climb, thus the level of skill required to compete with the best is something they never attain.

Someone who is ridiculously good at Team Fortress Classic or Fortress Forever would completely trash everyone in a game of Team Fortress 2, because TF2 is a very simple game compared to the other TF games.

If a TF2 player tried to play TFC or FF, they would get annihilated because if they had the skill to not get annihilated in the first place, they wouldn't be playing TF2 and would instead be playing the better games.

I, and many of these other people that play these less popular games, play them because the mainstream titles are too easy and boring for us. We play harder games because we like the challenge and depth they provide.
You're going to have a hard time getting anybody to take you seriously with statements like that.

Also by your logic somebody willing to put in the 600days played to WoW to get gladiator(this is the amount of time most gladiators have put to into wow, to know everything about the game) would clean the clocks of people in any other game, this simply isn't the case, in some games knowledge is a great deal more powerful than others. it will help in PS2, but at the end of the day you can know everything about the game, if you cant react fast, predict and track a target, you're not going to be cleaning anybody's clocks.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-04-13, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
How does any of your post tie into defining her status as a gamer?
Learn what analogy is.

If I drink a case of Milwaukee's Best Light every day, that would be a drinker, probably an alcoholic. If playing electronic video games is "your thing"...you're a gamer. It has nothing to do with the difficulty of the games you play. She plays LOTS of games, since she was like 13. Games are a huge part of her life...I would MOST DEFINITELY say she is a "gamer."
I never said that difficulty is relevant criteria to being a "true gamer", only that you must know more about the industry than what you're spoonfed in the mainstream. The things I was posting about difficulty were a side argument.

It's the attitude of people thinking they know what they're talking about when they haven't experienced things outside the mainstream that makes me angry. You know nothing if all you know is the mainstream.

You're going to have a hard time getting anybody to take you seriously with statements like that.

Also by your logic somebody willing to put in the 600days played to WoW to get gladiator(this is the amount of time most gladiators have put to into wow, to know everything about the game) would clean the clocks of people in any other game, this simply isn't the case, in some games knowledge is a great deal more powerful than others. it will help in PS2, but at the end of the day you can know everything about the game, if you cant react fast, predict and track a target, you're not going to be cleaning anybody's clocks.
I don't understand your argument. Spending time in a mainstream casual MMORPG that requires little to no thought and effort to succeed at is irrelevant.

Last edited by RNFB; 2012-04-13 at 12:41 AM.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Can we just get back to how purrfect she is.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-13, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Bazilx
First Sergeant

listing off a bunch of mainstream garbage, acting like they're the shit, when they've never played any game that requires even a small bit of of thought and effort in order to succeed at.
omg starcraft 2 too ez, grand master league without trying bro

Last edited by Bazilx; 2012-04-13 at 12:42 AM.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
My gf is psyched that she can play a female in a modern shooter. So that's at least one additional potential customer they've captured.

Not to mention like 50% of the population in PS1 made a female it seemed.
Women tend to stay off the mics for fear of being harassed or called a little kid. I'd say the percentage of female FPS players is a lot higher than people think. In fact, I know more girls who play shooters than guys IRL.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion