"How long will you wait for optimization?" - ReachCast Episode 49 CQ - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Press ALT+F4 to see the super secret page.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-09-03, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ReachCast
ReachCast Show

"How long will you wait for optimization?" - ReachCast Episode 49 CQ

This weeks question is ...

“How long is acceptable to allow SOE to improve performance before you get impatient for new content?”

as always if you would like to call or email in your answer below is that info

Email us at [email protected]
Call us at (415)787-3224

Host of ReachCast
Old 2013-09-03, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Selerox
Sergeant

Exclamation Re: "How long will you wait for optimization?" - ReachCast Episode 49 CQ

We've waited a year, we can wait a little longer.

That being said, it's one thing to concentrate on optimisation, another thing entirely to simply go silent and not release anything, which is what SOE seem to have done.

Communication on how things are progressing would be a good idea.
Old 2013-09-03, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Re: "How long will you wait for optimization?" - ReachCast Episode 49 CQ

I dont know, when is the next big game coming out? I hear Payday 2 is pretty good.
Old 2013-09-03, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

TL;DR : I can wait indefinitely, because I'm not playing. Active players? 6 months without new content tops will kill the game.

March to August, waited (without logging in) for performance improvements/fixes. Expected the game to better in live than beta, but it was actually much worse. So with that in mind, it's already been a year.

Honestly, I'm not really "playing the game" at this point. I may log in from time to time now that we have a higher data cap on our internet, but nothing serious. Why? Two reasons,

1. Optimization.
2. The game has no purpose.

Personally, I can "wait" as long as it takes to accomplish both, because said "waiting" simply means "not playing or spending any money on Planetside 2". That's not really a good thing.

SOE really does need to solve both problems at the same time, because PS2 without a point will push away people who can play the game without issues and PS2 in a unplayable state will push away everyone who is effected by performance issue. Together that makes up pretty much everyone. Not good.
Old 2013-09-03, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
TimoWasTaken
Private

Three months, Tops.
Old 2013-09-03, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Realistically, it will take a month before the community starts to lash out about the lack of content.

Personally, as long as Multi-threading comes out of this, I will be happy. I'd also say that if this works, I do think it'll help PS2 as a whole.

That said, I would say that just straight stopping content to focus on this doesn't seem like a great idea. I may be ignorant here, so take my words with a grain of salt, but frankly, I would like to see some content introduced in the next 2 months. There are ESF weapons, Striker fixes, and a few other small things currently on the PTS in a state that resembles done... just throw that in for Gu15. Just the ESF weapons would make people happy, enough to buy SOE more time.
Old 2013-09-03, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
camycamera
Major

as long as it takes; Smed says 3-4 months, which is to the launch of PS4, so i will wait, despite the fact i want it now.

i drool as i imagine getting 60 where i would get 30.... oh, the smoothness of battles that would have not been present beforehand, the high frames per second, oh, the stable frame rates.... how i will look forward to see you come to this wonderful game.

oh, holy Smed, give us our multicore support.

but content will still come, Smed was giving a general statement about that, so hopefully content will still flourish.

Last edited by camycamera; 2013-09-03 at 05:25 PM.
Old 2013-09-03, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Timealude
Captain

I honestly could wait till about November, after that..im not sure i could wait for at least news on new content.
Old 2013-09-03, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Hossin is on the PTS so...I'm still happy about that. In it's current state I'll probably be able to maintain a 50/50 play schedule (play a bit every day or so for a week, then take a week off) for another year or so to stave off burnout. I won't be a member and I won't be buying SC but I know how important population is so I'll keep playing for as long as I can.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-09-03, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
fierce deity
Sergeant

I can wait almost indefinitely. As long as there are frequent optimization, bug fixing, and balance tweaking patches, I will be happy.

More practically though, I do not think SOE can afford to take more than 3-4 months on optimization. I'd guess that this is the limit of the limit of the community at large's tolerance for delay of content, and the launch of the PS4 at the end of that 3-4 month window might draw players away from Planetside 2 (both versions) if it isn't optimized by then. If they get it done in this time frame, they can deliver awesome new content like Hossin and resource changes as a "Christmas gift" to the players.

Old 2013-09-03, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rolfski
Major

I wish there would be both optimization and new content very soon tbh. It really feels the game has slowed down to a halt atm.

When it launched I was really hoping we would have 3 extra continents and finally a proper meta game by now. Now I have a hard time seeing this happen before the end ofthe year.
Old 2013-09-03, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

The last week has felt like 3, they need new content out this month. Optimisation needs to be finished by the end of Oct, without progress on everything else stopping. If cont lattice was out already this announcement would be all fanfare and celebrations but they havent finished a basic game mechanic yet.

Realistically they've got all the time in the world, right up to the point something similar launches E.G BF4, War Thunder etc.
Old 2013-09-04, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

It is way too late. The crowd already left ps2 months ago. Ps2 isnt even worth playing for free anymore. The game is almost dead.
Therefore, big props to smed and co. for ruining this game by rushing it out way too early.
Old 2013-09-04, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
It is way too late. The crowd already left ps2 months ago. Ps2 isnt even worth playing for free anymore. The game is almost dead.
Therefore, big props to smed and co. for ruining this game by rushing it out way too early.
That sounds a little hasty doesn't it?

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-09-04, 05:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
PredatorFour
Major

Needs to be done soon, we need new content soon too. With the impending release of Everquest Next which is bound to draw most of Soe's resources being it's flagship title, we need this ASAP.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion