New In Concept - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just add water
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-01-05, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Cryptica
First Sergeant

I think the overall concept is amazing, but some things need to be tweaked. I LOVE the idea of making defending worthwhile. It may actually whip some of those lazy bastards I play with into a fighting mood. I have a couple ideas to modify/add on to this concept:

1 - XP for Successful Defense: Basically, if the 30 minutes finishes and the base is still held, how about everyone get some XP? They could break it into chunks like they do for offensive assaults. For every 10 minutes you are defending the base, you get XP equal to the total amount of XP gained by your empire in the fight. That could add up to some massive amounts of XP, so maybe a cap at 5000 like offensive assault.

2 - Spec ops are ka-put: I agree with Hamma in some small way. Spec ops are pretty much shot with this idea. Someone mentioned having the shield go up only when 25+ enemies were within the SoI? I like that idea. Basically the believe is that if less than 25 enemies are attacking the base and your empire can't get it back, then you don't deserve the base anyways! Although it may want to be modified down to like 15 or so, but it's not important.
Old 2004-01-05, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Professor Frink
Staff Sergeant

*crickets chirping*
Old 2004-01-05, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Peacemaker
Wtf. This TOTALY negates Spec ops in every way. Now what the hell are we supposed to do to stem the flow of 40 mag riders. It used to be if we were getting a constant zerging of enemy equipment we would blow the gens and bam, no more tanks and we can move.

The best way to incorperate this into the game would be to make it turn on only when 25+ enemys are around the base. That way we can still have small squads hack a base.
Or perhaps only have the shields activate to protect a base that has a hack link to an enemy base. So the front line bases would be protected, but the unhackable bases to the rear would still be vulnerable to special ops type raids...
Old 2004-01-05, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Professor Frink
Staff Sergeant

Good idea. I second that shit.
Old 2004-01-05, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Spee
Colonel

Are you kidding? This will make specOps LOTS more fun, WHILE increasing teamwork needed!

Example: The fight is at Itan. Theres, pretty much a stalemate. 4 specOpers go to Orisha, a good jog away, and lower the shield. Now, the defenders are forced with two decisions: Attempt to dispatch units to aid in Orisha's resecure, and sacrifice much-needed bodies for the defense at hand, or, Hope that the small amount of defenders at orisha can take out the specOps team before they can disable the tech plant?

Granted, this example doesnt work too well with bases close to one another, but still the same principle applies.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Professor Frink
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Spee
4 specOpers go to Orisha, a good jog away, and lower the shield.
That would work, but as it stands now (i believe) the defenders would know if a shield is lowered at another base. I would imagine a warning would be broadcast since they broadcast every other thing. In other words, the element of surprise would be lost. The idea of only frontline bases having a shield would rock.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by Professor Frink
That would work, but as it stands now (i believe) the defenders would know if a shield is lowered at another base. I would imagine a warning would be broadcast since they broadcast every other thing. In other words, the element of surprise would be lost. The idea of only frontline bases having a shield would rock.

Well thats the point. It would destabilize the force, and prove FAR more effective than simply dropping the gens.

I dont think the VS would be defending Itan too much longer if half the population scrambled with the "baa-baa" mindset to go resecure the base. If not, then the tech gens go down.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah that would be good, only bases with a link to an unfriendly base would have them?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Searo
Second Lieutenant

Evil Homer, I beg of you, please use some sort of spell check device, or stop typing with your feet.

Also, this idea really...does nothing.

Bases worth defending? How? 10-20 minute lull in the action so the zerg can gather? I really don't see bases becoming all that easier to defend. A zerg can still quickly overrun a base regardless of the # of defenders when the shield is down.

All this is doing is killing special ops. The devs seem to want a zerg mentality. Only got five guys? Too bad. Not going to be able to drop that shield.

They seem to be grasping at straws.
"Well, at least they liked our Capital Idea."
"Yeah."
"Approval up, must kill support!"
"Quick, let's make a forcefield!"
"Damn, we already put one in with that expansion thing..."
"Let's make it bigger and tie in that stupid ANT!:
"Yeah!"
Old 2004-01-05, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
I Hate Pants
General

Originally Posted by BadAsh
Or perhaps only have the shields activate to protect a base that has a hack link to an enemy base. So the front line bases would be protected, but the unhackable bases to the rear would still be vulnerable to special ops type raids...
hmmmm... not a bad idea actually. Only front line bases should have these force fields.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah we need a better way to Push back the zerg and reverse the tide of battle

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
domdre
Private

This idea would be great if it was more like a "Force Wall" where you couldnt enter the facility except by air. Imagine if the galaxy was auctally useful again imagine the possiblities!

and this from a guy who doesnt even play ps heh
Old 2004-01-05, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Professor Frink
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Spee
I dont think the VS would be defending Itan too much longer if half the population scrambled with the "baa-baa" mindset to go resecure the base.
"BAA BAA MINDSET?!?" First off... well we probably do have that mindset.
Old 2004-01-05, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by domdre
This idea would be great if it was more like a "Force Wall" where you couldnt enter the facility except by air. Imagine if the galaxy was auctally useful again imagine the possiblities!

and this from a guy who doesnt even play ps heh

That is an ultimate idea!

Old 2004-01-05, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by Professor Frink
"BAA BAA MINDSET?!?" First off... well we probably do have that mindset.

I play VS primarily

Im just saying, humans, as a species, are easily duped into the "follow the leader" idea.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion