What I want to know about Stealthing - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If we run you over, it wasn't our falt
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-03-14, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Moleculor
Sergeant

What I want to know about Stealthing

Here's the only thing I'm really -dying- to know about this game, and it will be the absolute deciding factor in whether or not I play it...

Stealth suit 'shimmer'. What is it? Is it a semi-transparent texture applied to the player model (ala Tribes 2), resulting in what looks to be a floating, running, very obvious cloud, or will it be more of a 'heat-wave' effect, where the background image behind the stealther seems to 'stretch' in the direction the stealther is moving?

I -hated- the stealth effect in Tribes 2. And I'm hoping for the heat-wave-esque one here.
Old 2003-03-14, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

I've heard that the field generated around you begins to turn whitish. and whiter until you are completly visible. I've seen the cloaking field of the AMS, it doesn't look very beautiful, but decent. The field also begins to get bubbly looking things in it.
Old 2003-03-14, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Moleculor
Sergeant

I've seen (I think... it's that dome thing, right?) the cloaking field for the AMS as well, and I was hoping that was just a placeholder, as it's very -very- obvious, and looks JUST LIKE it was from Tribes 2.
Old 2003-03-14, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

I believe that was when the AMS was under attack, when it isn't the field should look less visible. Plus that shot was pretty close. When your farther away it should be even less visible.
Old 2003-03-14, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
tmax
Master Sergeant

if its obvious like tribes 2 the game will be ruined for me
Old 2003-03-14, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FraBaktos
First Sergeant

yeah that shot was taken from like 3 feet away from its cloaking sphere. From a bit more distance, it would be very less noticable. I doubt they will screw up the cloaking, they know what they are doing.
Old 2003-03-14, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MooKoo
Sergeant

well we hope
Old 2003-03-14, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Irnbru
Contributor
Master Sergeant

the fileplanet movie shows an infiltrator... kinda hard to explain, but he's pretty damn invisible stationary about 1 ft in front of the guy makin the video

Old 2003-03-14, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
�io
Lieutenant General

Infiltration suit = very very very non visible if standing still, in movement i'm not sure.

That being said if how the infiltration suit works is a deciding factor if you will play or not than i'd suggest looking for another game.
Old 2003-03-14, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

Dio = 1

Moleculor = 0

Old 2003-03-14, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
�io
Lieutenant General

Yay me!

Old 2003-03-15, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Moleculor
Sergeant

Um, Dio? I want to be a stealther. So the stealth in the game matters to me. I KNOW that when you're stationary, you're invisible. I asked about -shimmer- which is ONLY present when you're NOT invisible.

Have you ever seen a cloaked guy fire while moving in Tribes 2? It looks -ugly- and -damn- obvious. They might as well drop the cloak completely.

Sure, if I'm moving and firing while cloaked, I'd better be semi-obvious too in PS, but JUST moving, I shouldn't be as obvious as Tribes 2's 'shimmer'.

As for me looking for another game, there -are- no other games. It's this or nothing. And I -will- pick nothing if I can't be a stealther, because I don't want to be some ugly grunt who's only answer to anything is "More Bullets".
Old 2003-03-15, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info
Cool

Hey man, no need to get harsh here. Grunts do their part in an empire too, and if it weren't for grunts, where woudl the bulk of your force be???

Old 2003-03-16, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
RageMaster
Corporal

As for me looking for another game, there -are- no other games. It's this or nothing. And I -will- pick nothing if I can't be a stealther, because I don't want to be some ugly grunt who's only answer to anything is "More Bullets".
Take whatever stealth armour they give you and adapt your gameplay, n00bl3tt. Or dont play PlanetSide.

I will be Infil, and regardless of what the Infiltrator Suit grants me with regards to invisibility, I intend to explore the possibilities it brings me fully. Ill take its strengths and weaknesses and use the perks appropriately regardless of whether its a heat wave, or alphatexture, or whatever. Its not a consideration ATM.

What I won't do is jump on these boards saying how I wont play the game unless the infil suit invis ability is exactly to my liking. I think thats being a little pedantic, especially when you say you'd forsake buying and paying for a game thats FULL of other features other than stealth. I think its absurd personally.
Old 2003-03-16, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Moleculor
Sergeant

Well if the stealth suit doesn't stealth, the game won't be fun for me, and I won't pay money to play an unfun game. That's why I say I won't play it if the stealth suit is too obvious.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion