What I want to know about Stealthing - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: arives late at the office, but makes it up by leaving early.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-03-16, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Unfun isn't a word.

The stealth suit will cloak either way. I am sure that if you move slow enough than it will be almost impossible to see you. I personally think a stealth suit should be obvious when it shoots. The main point of a stealth suit is to get behind enemy lines unnoticed. It would be so annoying to be shot at repeatedly from something you can't even see. If the stealth suit isn't exactly to your liking, than do something else. Don't pass up a great game like Planetside just because you don't like the stealth affect.
Old 2003-03-17, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Moleculor
Have you ever seen a cloaked guy fire while moving in Tribes 2? It looks -ugly- and -damn- obvious. They might as well drop the cloak completely.

Sure, if I'm moving and firing while cloaked, I'd better be semi-obvious too in PS, but JUST moving, I shouldn't be as obvious as Tribes 2's 'shimmer'.
Moleculor, When you fire your weapon, your infultrations suit will become completely visable for a moment. So for all intents and purposes, when you fire your weapon, the cloak drops.

As for the effects while moving, you will have to either wait to get into beta, talk to someone that is in beta, wait to see see a movie of a IS in action.

I hope this is helpful information for you.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.

Last edited by Lexington_Steele; 2003-03-17 at 12:03 AM.
Old 2003-03-17, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Maus
Private

Actually, the cloak in T2 is fairly good, unless u got a shit graphics card and some bollocks corruption on the texturing. Moving as a cloaker is no different to standing still, u are slightly visible, but the most obvious elements are the excessive noise of the suit, and the fact that the dirt trails kicked up as stealths run accross the ground is ridiculously obvious.

In PS, we aint so sure bout stealthers, as the fileplanet vid is the first footage we have seen of stealthers in action. However, by looking at the vid, the character is initially quite bright qhite, before turning virtually totally invisible. Therefore, maybe the whiteness is like level 5 cloak or something, the most extreme result you can get whilst cloaked. Im guessing itll be a more obvious outline, but nowhere near as bright.

"The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it."
Old 2003-03-17, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Irnbru
Contributor
Master Sergeant

that's hilarious, sounds like someone sux at FPSs and is looking for an easy way out of getting shot to shit.

just my opinion.

Old 2003-03-17, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

As for me looking for another game, there -are- no other games. It's this or nothing. And I -will- pick nothing if I can't be a stealther, because I don't want to be some ugly grunt who's only answer to anything is "More Bullets".
I would suggest you start hoping another game is announced soon, because unless you like to die or like to scout, you might as well forget the stealth. It is going to play an extremly limited role in this game. You basically have a few choices, you can knife someone, then his squad will beat the snot out of you, you can attempt to sneak into the enemies base and blow the gens and hack the control panel, if you manage, make sure you pick an ice cold beer once you get to hell, because your gonna get owned within seconds. Or you could stand around and watch the enemy and tell the friendlies where the hostiles are going, until one of the sentries flicks on his darklight and sweeps the area. Or you could be thinking "ooh ooh, i wanna be a stealth medic," well let me let you in on a little secret, just cause your invisible doesn't make you bullet proof, and their will be a helluva lot of ordinance flying around in any decent sized battle.

edit:if you haven't noticed, i really really hate stealths, so just go ahead and ignore me if you want, i'm sure there will be a few really good stealthers, maybe you'll be one of them, i just had to say something to the 50+% of the community that thinks they are gonna be some sort of uber l337 stealth and/or sniper. I've just been holding this in so long it was starting to hurt.

Last edited by Incompetent; 2003-03-17 at 01:34 PM.
Old 2003-03-17, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Kalam
Corporal

In the new Video there are two scenes showing a stealther.
I would say it looks pretty similar to the Predator, even if moving you could barely spot it. But therefor we got the Dark Light Vision.
Also you could see the Infi killing a Light with only two strikes. Pretty dangerous I would say.
Old 2003-03-17, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Scarab
Private

Yeah this won't be like dark age of camelot where you can just get l33t items and buffs and own people from a stealthed position where noone can see you even when you're moving. Stealthers ruin games if done incorrectly or overpowering. Noone wants to constantly get owned by people that they can't even see...people want an opportunity to defend themselves. Otherwise it's no fun unless you're one of the stealthers, and eventually the entire game is full of stealthers (just like DAoC is becoming) because it's the only way people can have fun in PvP.
Old 2003-03-17, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ouroboros
Contributor
Major

Incomp, damn you... don't diss the medic.
Old 2003-03-17, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hellsfire123
Contributor
Captain

Im with incompetwnt. The sheer amount of pilots, snipers and infils in this game will be scary in the first weeks. And mole, if all you wanna be is a stealther, and nothing else, play AvP2. If the stealth isnt to your liking, dont play or adapt. Now no more whining.

PS- he wasnt insulting medics, he said snipers and infils.
Old 2003-03-17, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Mauser101
Sergeant

Keep in mind that for the first few weeks people's battle rank will not be high enough to do all the things they want to do. You probably won't see a Galaxy Flyin, Phenix firing, Infitrator wearing, advanced Hacking skilled player for a while.

Actually, you won't see the pheonix part of it. Remeber that those Infil suit guys will only have 2 pistols and a knife. One of their pistols will undoubtedly be a hacking tool. The Devs are doing good job of pre-nerfing the stealthers and making them a very specialized unit that will not survive in open combat.

http://www.sturmgrenadier.com
Old 2003-03-17, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
quiet
Staff Sergeant

I think it is just 1 pistol and a 6 x 6 inventory (and the knife).
Old 2003-03-17, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hellsfire123
Contributor
Captain

Mauser, closed beta has been out for 3 weeks, and they only play 2-5 hours a week. But we still have infils, maxes, pilots, and anti-vech screenshots. I dont doubt ill be able to get a ride in a galaxy within 24hrs of installing the game.
Old 2003-03-17, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Moleculor
Sergeant

Moleculor, When you fire your weapon, your infultrations suit will become completely visable for a moment. So for all intents and purposes, when you fire your weapon, the cloak drops.

As for the effects while moving, you will have to either wait to get into beta, talk to someone that is in beta, wait to see see a movie of a IS in action.

I hope this is helpful information for you.
You know you just repeated what I said, right?

I would suggest you start hoping another game is announced soon, because unless you like to die or like to scout, you might as well forget the stealth. It is going to play an extremly limited role in this game. You basically have a few choices, you can knife someone, then his squad will beat the snot out of you, you can attempt to sneak into the enemies base and blow the gens and hack the control panel, if you manage, make sure you pick an ice cold beer once you get to hell, because your gonna get owned within seconds. Or you could stand around and watch the enemy and tell the friendlies where the hostiles are going, until one of the sentries flicks on his darklight and sweeps the area. Or you could be thinking "ooh ooh, i wanna be a stealth medic," well let me let you in on a little secret, just cause your invisible doesn't make you bullet proof, and their will be a helluva lot of ordinance flying around in any decent sized battle.
Psh. Or you sneak in, hack a locker, grab an AI MAX, and waste people. Or get a squad of stealthers, have 'em all set up explosives on the turrets (and the power generators) and have a well timed destruction of the bases defenses moments before the airdrop of 10-20 MAXes hit the ground.

In the new Video there are two scenes showing a stealther.
I would say it looks pretty similar to the Predator, even if moving you could barely spot it.
Now THAT sounds encouraging.

And mole, if all you wanna be is a stealther, and nothing else, play AvP2. If the stealth isnt to your liking, dont play or adapt. Now no more whining.
Psh. I ain't playing this game because it's an MMOG or Verant made it (Hell, I'm contemplating playing it in SPITE of the fact that it's coming from the same people who made EverSuck) or that it's the next best FPS. I'm hoping to play it because it has a -chance- at having a half-decent strategic element incorporating an ACTUAL cloak, as opposed to the Tribes 2 version which lasts for 5 seconds and usually doesn't work anyway. About the only other thing in this game that even interests me PARTIALLY is piloting, and that's not going to be enough to keep me interested.

Keep in mind that for the first few weeks people's battle rank will not be high enough to do all the things they want to do. You probably won't see a Galaxy Flyin, Phenix firing, Infitrator wearing, advanced Hacking skilled player for a while.
Um... Well... Honestly I have to disagree. I already have my initial certs planned out, and as no basic cert is going to cost more than 2 points, and we get at LEAST five and possibly six after VR training, I'll have cloak, hacking, and Wraith as my first selections. And with my next level I'll probably get Engineering, or a MAX, so I can go up in rank even faster.
Old 2003-03-17, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Seer
Major

This way

Well, if the stealth suit is barely visible when moving, maybe you shouldn't move when people are looking at you. That would be stealthy. In any case, think of it this way--we've heard the stealth suit described by betatesters as a popular armor, but in the preview movies, how many enemy stealthers did you see? Now, I wasn't looking too closely, but I didn't see a single one.

If the stealth suit is invisible when you are still and mostly invisible when you are moving, you should adapt your playstyle to that dynamic and not expect the game to adapt to yours.
Old 2003-03-17, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Mauser101
Sergeant

Originally posted by Moleculor
Or get a squad of stealthers, have 'em all set up explosives on the turrets (and the power generators) and have a well timed destruction of the bases defenses moments before the airdrop of 10-20 MAXes hit the ground.
Moleculor: If that's what you're planning on doing, I say mad props to you and the Outfit you'll inevitably have to set up. This will take a lot of planning and a lot of skill. The stealth guys will have to be very effective for a squad of them not to be noticed in a base. The Galaxy pilot (or pilots) is gonna have to be pretty good to get the Maxs to hit inside the base(kindof like flying a bomber in Tribes 2, but alone, without a bombing rectile...sp?). That Maxs will just have to do what I'm sure Maxs will be very good at, causing a rucuss.

That'd be on of the only real spec ops/covert ops units in the game, as opposed to the wanabee that keep recruiting.

Good luck with it.

http://www.sturmgrenadier.com
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion