Will Planetside 2 disappoint its hardcore fans? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's so lonely in the corner...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Will Planetside 2 disappoint its hardcore fans?

As a old time vet (started in 2004, but couldn't play all the time because of fees) I must say I'm extraordinary confident with PS2. The game looks astonishinlgy good.

There are few points that I worry about (first and foremost TTK) but I cannot judge on that before having played beta at least.

I think PS2 will be a blast.
Old 2012-06-13, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Reddek
Private

Seriously, thanks for all your feedback guys, really appriciate it.

I'm very looking forward to playing!
Old 2012-06-13, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

I'm in no doubt at all that planetside 2 will rock but will it be as good as i want it to be?

Dunno

It's all pretty subjective anyhow.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-13, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Figment
Lieutenant General

How it looks is fine for all.

How it plays is still under scrutiny for a lot of people. There are controversial topics and a lot of players with some reservations on these specific topics, so it's not as if the full playerbase is fully satisfied with what is known right now.

The question is whether it'll be a big enough deal and whether and how things will change in beta.

All in all, too early to tell, though I'm sure there'll be people disappointed to at least a certain degree. Everyone after all has certain expectations and this is only the first sequel. It's hard to tell how much one should expect to remain the same.
Old 2012-06-13, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
wOOtbEEr
Private

Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
i think the loss of being able to heal your vehicles + rez your buddy is going to throw some dedicated support players off just a bit.
This is what I'm going to miss most. I know they want to make a class system instead of an inventory system because inventory systems add a lot to the learning curve for new players. But I don't see why my Medic can't spend cert points to learn how to repair his vehicles or why my engineer cant learn how to use a med tool. Medics are clearly marked on the battlefield and they are going to be the only ones who can bring someone right back into the fight. I know who my cloaked sniper will be headshotting.

w00tb33r
Old 2012-06-13, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Reddek View Post
H
DICE/EA turned into a money-making machine and have now turned Battlefield 3 into one of the most-successful profit-making video games in history.
That's a bad thing? The game is still really fun and has evolved with the entire genre. Just because it's not exactly how you remember BF2 being doesn't make it bad.

Games have to make money. Hell, they have to make a lot of money. Only appealing to the audience of your previous game would kill your studio as development costs keep increasing. You can't assume that you're going to be able to increase your player base by appealing to the core audience and hoping that others see the value. With the market flooded with games, you have to keep up or get left behind.

SoE is under the same pressure here that DICE and EA were. I'll bet you a lot of money their development costs for this game are 100x higher than they were for Planetside. If they built the game just for Planetside fans, they are probably not going to make back the money they spent into the development and have to shut down, then we all lose.

Developers could get away with making their games for a focused audience back when game development cost was 1/100th it is now. Today that's not the case. We are getting AAA level mechanics and graphics in a F2P environment, they are going to have to make some compromises that the "hardcore" will not like.

Same happened in BF3. Now the hardcore bitch about it while more people than ever before play and enjoy Battlefield and EA/DICE makes enough money to continue supporting the game and creating new games. You can't change it and worrying about it does nothing more than put stress on yourself. You either have to learn to adapt to changing time and change your expectations, or be bitter.

Battlefield 3 had expectations that no game could live up to. Don't get yourself into the same position with Planetside 2 because you're only setting yourself up for misery.

Last edited by wasdie; 2012-06-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Oops double post... sorry.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Reddek
Private

Originally Posted by wasdie View Post
That's a bad thing? The game is still really fun and has evolved with the entire genre. Just because it's not exactly how you remember BF2 being doesn't make it bad.
I never said that it wasn't fun, it's a fantastic game but I am just not happy with it.

I just don't like playing it as I feel that things are missing, it just doesn't feel right with me.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

I never said that it wasn't fun, it's a fantastic game but I am just not happy with it.

I just don't like playing it as I feel that things are missing, it just doesn't feel right with me.
Well as I said before, don't get your hopes up for Planetside 2. They are going to remove a lot of the little elements to make it much more accessible.
Old 2012-06-13, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Surprise
Private

Trying not to get my hopes up just in case, so its impossible for me to be disappointed.
Old 2012-06-13, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Raka Maru
Major

I think it is well thought out and to the point that the PS2 team is listening to the player base. Take a look at things that have changed for the better.

Kill-cam now shows only stats and costume of killer.
Headshots are OSOK on certain units
We have customization for camo
Etc....

Newbs will be able to jump in and basically know what's going on. My big hope is they will introduce the more advanced features that the hardcore want later on as things settle down and evolve in beta.

Last edited by Raka Maru; 2012-06-13 at 05:31 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ArCHoN
Private

To me as a beta player for the original PlanetSide, a long time follower years before launch, and a person who loved the game and played for a long time I believe this won't be a problem.

In my opinion for everything they are going to change about the game for PlanetSide 2 that I may dislike or think is too far off from the first one, I love a lot of the changes they are making. The addition of the Hex system for one is really a great idea. I love how they are changing the base capping, making outposts and hexes of influence. I was against the lattice system, even though i saw its reasoning and benefits it took away a lot of freedom and different styles of play.

I think this games going to be great and because its FTP it is going to be huge, as a PlanetSide player and longtime fan I encourage new players and new interest in a great game.
Old 2012-06-14, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

The ones that have already tried the game in Alpha say no it will not disappoint.
Old 2012-06-14, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
jepaul
First Sergeant

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and new to the game itself (although I played Planetside a few times at my friend's house a few years ago). I have been following Planetside 2 for some time now and I have a burning question I wish to ask you, the community:

Is Planetside 2 heading in the right direction in terms of becoming a successful sequel to the first game?

Why do I ask?

I have just stopped playing Battlefield 3; the game completely lacked what Battlefield 2 featured - DICE/EA turned into a money-making machine and have now turned Battlefield 3 into one of the most-successful profit-making video games in history.

The game failed to reach expectations, will Planetside 2 succeed in terms of what the hardcore gamers expect? I really want to play this game, but I have been let down by so many different games over the last few years that I'm not sure if I'm willing to trust it yet.

Thank you for your time,

Reddek.
I project someone will be upset. And that one of those people upset will be a hardcore fan.
Old 2012-06-15, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

If the unwashed masses of PSU have their way, then yes, Planetside 2 will disappoint the true fans of the original...

I do have hopes that Generic Modern Shooter: MMO Edition will be vaporware at SOE and that we'll get Planetside 2 instead.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions