Knife Kills - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Able to ride a tricycle
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-08-02, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Re: Knife Kills

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
It's your standard quickknife but it's not instant kill.
So long as it's no worse than in PS1. I'll be really disappointed if I can't sneak around knifing people especially after the awesome new PS2 trailer.

I also hope Higby and co. have my Wraith waiting for me too
Old 2012-08-03, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
jabber
Private

similar to tribes.
Old 2012-08-03, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
therandomone
Sergeant

betabetabeta swing!

Seriously though, I think we'll just have to wait and see when we get into beta/when its released before we can actually confirm anything. Though as soon as I'm in I swear to god I'm going to try my damndest to ninja knife someone. As it's decent part of the reason I'm attracted to the Infil.
Old 2012-08-03, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Shylan
Private

What so many games these days (CoD, BF, BL:R, etc.) seem to forget is that the knife is supposed to be a panic weapon, for when you run out of ammo or don't have time to reload before the enemy gets to you. It's not supposed to be a one-hit-kill weapon; especially not against armored opponents.

With FPS movement mechanics improving every year, gone are the days when getting a knife kill was a sign that a player had mastered the controls enough to be able to pull one off successfully. Now, it's become the preferred method of combat for 'elite' FPS players who think they're all that just because they can kill players with guns using only a knife. Well, guess what? It's not that hard, anymore. The movement mechanics have become so much more fluid and precise that all the challenge is gone. Now you're just showing off like a poser.

I'm sincerely hoping that PS2 has knifing nerfed down to where it should be: only viable as an absolute last resort, due to its relative ineffectiveness compared to other weapons.

/mini-rant.
Old 2012-08-04, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Shylan View Post
What so many games these days (CoD, BF, BL:R, etc.) seem to forget is that the knife is supposed to be a panic weapon, for when you run out of ammo or don't have time to reload before the enemy gets to you. It's not supposed to be a one-hit-kill weapon; especially not against armored opponents.

With FPS movement mechanics improving every year, gone are the days when getting a knife kill was a sign that a player had mastered the controls enough to be able to pull one off successfully. Now, it's become the preferred method of combat for 'elite' FPS players who think they're all that just because they can kill players with guns using only a knife. Well, guess what? It's not that hard, anymore. The movement mechanics have become so much more fluid and precise that all the challenge is gone. Now you're just showing off like a poser.

I'm sincerely hoping that PS2 has knifing nerfed down to where it should be: only viable as an absolute last resort, due to its relative ineffectiveness compared to other weapons.

/mini-rant.
Yea, I only see myself using a knife if I'm forced to sneak out due to being 100% out of ammo.
Old 2012-08-04, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
selmu
Private

Originally Posted by Liwen Diamond View Post
My question is will knives include an assasination one hit kill move when stabing someone in the back of the head, up to and including MAXs? That would be quite awesome. Maybe just huge damage on the MAX but not one hit kill if he's at full health?

Let's face it, if someone catches you at point blank shot right behind your back, you're probably gonna die regardless so might as well may it awesome.

Right?

*Awaits angry flails from the community*
The knife description say it bypass shield and armor. With the melee oriented certificates i think will be possible hit kill ppl for back or head.
Old 2012-08-04, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
KimJongLulz
Banned

Melee better be a viable option for Infiltrator...

TR infiltrator reminds me of Deadpool...
Old 2012-08-04, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

What are you talking about, "nerfed down" from what? PS1? Because there was no one shot kills with knives in PS1 on players at full health. Even with melee booster and the knife in secondary mode it was two hits to kill someone, more if they had personal shield on.

A knife was a weapon of last resort for visibles in PS1, almost never used outside of special events, but for Inflitrators or anyone that finds themselves fighting at HtH range then knives should be a good option.

If I was able to rewrite PS1's balance I would just remove or reduce the stamina cost on melee boost and tone down the noise on the TRs knife in secondary mode to match VS and NCs, then it would have been perfectly balanced. No, one shot kills.... However, if PS2 has an overall faster TTK than PS1 does then I'd support one shot kills with knives on some hit locations.
Old 2012-08-04, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Shylan
Private

Originally Posted by Helwyr View Post
What are you talking about, "nerfed down" from what? PS1?
I meant nerfed down compared to the one-hit-kill of most other modern FPS games.
Old 2012-08-04, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Shoes
Private

Hopefully they keep it the same. One of my favorite classes back in the day was infil knifing snipers and c4'ing spawns.
Old 2012-08-05, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Jahoota
Private

/mini-rant.
This! I wanted to get home I could say the same thing but it wouldn't have been worded this well.
Old 2012-08-05, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
therandomone
Sergeant

/mini-rant.
Not this. Why does people want to nerf the knife? I hated the way Counterstrike did it because its like i was paper cutting you to death with it. The idea of making the knife that weak is asinine.
Old 2012-08-05, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by therandomone View Post
Not this. Why does people want to nerf the knife? I hated the way Counterstrike did it because its like i was paper cutting you to death with it. The idea of making the knife that weak is asinine.
Agreed, knifing someone should be a reward to spending the effort to sneaking behind enemy lines and getting behind someone undetected. This activity is arguably the most work intensive in the game, compared to zerging, sniping, piloting and other roles. A knife isn't a panic weapon, it is a tool for infiltrators to kill quietly. There is a reason this role is called "cloak and dagger".

Knifing in PS1 was everything but quiet. First of all the knife itself made noise if you wanted any hope of getting a kill. Even with Melee booster, if you somehow got the first swing in you have to pray that lag is with you or they don't move, because if they do you miss the second strike and they blast you away. If you got lucky and got the kill, hey, you just announced to everyone watching the killspam that a knifer is nearby.

I really hope PS2 changes this to support the cloak and dagger playstyle. A knife should be able to backstab, or 1S1K anything below a MAX, and if it does the kill does not show up on the killspam. A backstab should only be able to be performed when you are behind a player, and should be tied to an animation. This way you have to at least target people in the back of a crowd or else the guy you are knifing will get spotted and give you away.

If you are not behind the enemy then the knife would behave normally, taking 2-3 hits to kill.

Why is it that a sniper rifle can kill someone in 1 shot from a mile away with the click of a mouse and people don't bat an eye, but if a knife can do it after all the effort it takes to get in place people scream "COD KIDDIES!!!11"?

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-08-05 at 06:12 PM.
Old 2012-08-05, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Kalledorn
Private

IMO, instant knife kills shouldn't be enabled until the highest lvl of certs have been obtained. Also, I don't think ppl should be able to knife a MAX unit. All that armor should be for more then show.

Last edited by Kalledorn; 2012-08-05 at 07:06 PM.
Old 2012-08-06, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
NC Waffle
Private

Thay can set it up so that only certain classes get the bonus from hitboxes, so if they wanted the infil could be given a bonus when cloaked but visible troops could have the same PS1 damage that they had originally. This would allow for there to be ninja knifers but would require certain skillset designed for that not so anyone could go around 1s1k with a knife.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions