new lattice tweet from higby - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If I wanted to hear from an ***hole, I'd fart
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-03-02, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: new lattice tweet from higby

Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
Brilliant

Old 2013-03-02, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Phantomdestiny View Post
actually not because if you see there it reduces the amount of connections between hexes and also makes it so you have to move from base to base in a "link" line
Indeed!

Updated the OP a bit.

This is pretty damn epic looking.. this could create some pretty crazy ass fights.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-02, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Hm... if you ask me they just visually removed the faction colors from some hexes to make clear where the enemy might head next. From what I see it seems to be more of a visual clarification. It looks good, but Will that change anything?

.sent via phone.
Yea, the mechanics doesn't really change. They've just put in smaller hexes but the adjacency mechanics seems the same. Actually I take that back ... you can't cap Arraya tarre just because you have strong hold

Last edited by WNxThentar; 2013-03-02 at 10:32 PM.
Old 2013-03-02, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Chewy
Major

My takes on this pic.

1- Each outpost must be taken in a chain in order to move to the next.
I need to see what this looks like in other maps and places before giving a good idea. That area is by road only thanks to those walls. Wonder how it will be on Esamir open ground.

2- Main bases (bio-labs, amp stations, tech plants) require owning the satellites to have access to res flow, base perks, to move further in the chain, and maybe act as influence instead of near outposts.
I like this part. It gives small squads things to do that can fuck a day for the enemy. Example- Holding just the satellites at Tawrich can cut it off and deny MBTs to the plants owners.

3- Able to bypass a main base by going around it thanks to satellites.
This Im a bit iffy on. I like the choice of being able to send a forward group to attack the next outpost in the chain to hold off a counter attack, but it can make bum rushes to a pesky defensible outpost as a dick move a thing. Need to play with it to see what kind of dick it is. (sounds a bit homo don't it? )

4- No more cheap and fast cutting off a WG.
Love/hate going on with this. Depends on the lattice setup for each maps layout before I can give word.

5- The ability to take a WG!?
Isn't the SE WG on Indar in VS hands now? If so then why does TR have that one and why does the VS have the SW WG again while the NC hold the N WG like now? This may be a clue to being able to take what WG we want!

There may be more that Im not picking up yet. But those 5 things are what Im seeing so far and it looks kinda like a MMA asskicking. Something to see no matter the outcome.
Old 2013-03-02, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

This is really phenomenal. Decisive, game changing decisions. We've said there were too many attack options, and it looks like they're fixing it.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-02, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Wow wasn't expecting Matt to tweet that out so soon!

What you're looking at is a hex map with reduced connectivity for a more predictable battle flow. What do you think?
Old 2013-03-02, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I think we need more meat for the grinder.

Old 2013-03-02, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
Excellent, and well-demonstrated. I've wondered why neutral hexes never made it into release.

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post

What you're looking at is a hex map with reduced connectivity for a more predictable battle flow. What do you think?
I like it. Almost a bit too predictable though, but then, there's only so much to tell from a picture.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2013-03-02, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Vashyo
First Sergeant

Love it! we need more linearity to keep the battle focused and less messy, this is exactly what I've been hoping for.
Old 2013-03-02, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

What do you think?
I'm feeling deeply thankful.

Thank you for this. And don't dissemble and tell me your input wasn't instrumental.
Old 2013-03-02, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

I love it, any idea when we might see it in the game? I wanna try it

.sent via phone.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-03, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
I love it, any idea when we might see it in the game? I wanna try it

.sent via phone.
Soon™

I don't know / can't say when or if stuff will be out. But couldn't resist the urge to use that response!
Old 2013-03-03, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Yeah he can be a bit of a troll when he wants to, heh.

What do I think?

Soon™

I don't know / can't say when or if stuff will be out. But couldn't resist the urge to use that response!
So it finally happened, you really have become on of the devs

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
My takes on this pic.

1- Each outpost must be taken in a chain in order to move to the next.
I need to see what this looks like in other maps and places before giving a good idea. That area is by road only thanks to those walls. Wonder how it will be on Esamir open ground.

2- Main bases (bio-labs, amp stations, tech plants) require owning the satellites to have access to res flow, base perks, to move further in the chain, and maybe act as influence instead of near outposts.
I like this part. It gives small squads things to do that can fuck a day for the enemy. Example- Holding just the satellites at Tawrich can cut it off and deny MBTs to the plants owners.

This Im a bit iffy on. I like the choice of being able to send a forward group to attack the next outpost in the chain to hold off a counter attack, but it can make bum rushes to a pesky defensible outpost as a dick move a thing. Need to play with it to see what kind of dick it is. (sounds a bit homo don't it? )

4- No more cheap and fast cutting off a WG.
Love/hate going on with this. Depends on the lattice setup for each maps layout before I can give word.
I would mostly agree with your assessment, I would particularly much like to see how this would look on Esamir where there aren't as many dividing hills/mountains etc.
Overall it's looks extremely promising.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-03 at 12:27 AM.
Old 2013-03-03, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
zulu
Corporal

This all seems super awesome.

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

I like both of these things. I like the option of just bypassing a heavily-defended installation and weakening it by surrounding it. I would especially like this if surrounding a base had a greater effect on the defenders (say, by lengthening spawn times a bit).

As far as conquerable warpgates -- that would be really awesome, but my assumption is that they might just be rotating the WGs.
Old 2013-03-03, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Mordelicius
Major

Just by looking at the small picture (no idea about the whole continent), the pathways are bit too limited and constrained. Extra branching would be nice. The battle flow can still be predicted and/or contained but not so much as treading the same repetitive pathways 100 times over and over. Players will tire easily with such severe limitations.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion