Resources and how they work - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: were BFR's roam the land
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-16, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
EnderGraff
Corporal

Resources and how they work

So it is well known that resources are earned by capturing different Hex's that have a specific recourse on them. It is also well known that players will be using the resources to purchase vehicles and possibly weapon sidegrades/ attachments.

What I do not know is how the resources are managed. Do all of the resources controlled by and Empire go directly into a massive pool that every player can pull from, or does each player get his own "cut" of the resources gained over time?

Hopefully you guys can get back to me on this!
Old 2012-07-16, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sephirex
Major

Re: Resources and how they work

They get a cut.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
EnderGraff
Corporal

So that is confirmed?
Old 2012-07-16, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sephirex
Major

As confirmed as Iron Sights, Regenerating Shields, and 1 Driver/Gunner MBT.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-16 at 11:40 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
EnderGraff
Corporal

Excellent, thank you for the help!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-16, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by EnderGraff View Post
So it is well known that resources are earned by capturing different Hex's that have a specific recourse on them. It is also well known that players will be using the resources to purchase vehicles and possibly weapon sidegrades/ attachments.

What I do not know is how the resources are managed. Do all of the resources controlled by and Empire go directly into a massive pool that every player can pull from, or does each player get his own "cut" of the resources gained over time?

Hopefully you guys can get back to me on this!
What we know is that there are at least two ways to get resources

1) Dividend from all territory holdings.
2) Score-generating activities also create resources

So if you fight, heal, revive, repair, kill, spot, etc you can get resources, and you'll get a trickle of resources from existing holdings.

I also suspect that resources are awarded upon territory capture as a one-time bonus.

How the different methods are balanced looks to be up in the air at the moment. I don't think they can begin to fine-tune resources without thousands of players in and actively playing. I'd wager it's one of the later goals of the beta.
Old 2012-07-16, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Stardouser
Colonel

The only thing I really want to know at this point is to what extent can you curtail the enemy's ability to either pull, or customize, their vehicles through resource denial.

And also, whether it affects advanced infantry weapons. I know grenades and C4 etc will cost resources. I am talking about AV weapons and that kind of thing.
Old 2012-07-16, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
MorioMortis
Corporal

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
The only thing I really want to know at this point is to what extent can you curtail the enemy's ability to either pull, or customize, their vehicles through resource denial.

And also, whether it affects advanced infantry weapons. I know grenades and C4 etc will cost resources. I am talking about AV weapons and that kind of thing.
Although it would add strategic depth to the game to be able to limit the opposition's access to vehicles and heavier weaponry, I think this is ultimately a bad idea; if you are already winning, and control more territory, you already have a leg up on the amount of resources you are making, and can therefore support more vehicles/grenades/whatever. If you stop the other side from having access to a counter to your advantage, than it becomes more and more difficult for them to reverse the situation, and you end up with a situation in which it is hopeless for a faction to claim more territory because their last bases are constantly encircled by MBT's and flyers who kill all the infantry because they can't have AV or AA to fight back.

Also, AA and AV weapons aren't advanced infantry weapons, they are part of the standard weaponry of the HA, just like snipers for cloakers (you can probably decide to pick something else instead, by they are always an option).
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-16, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

What a fantastic question!
Old 2012-07-16, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sephirex
Major

As of right now, no. The vehicles have a flat cost. Maybe that will change during Beta.
Old 2012-07-16, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
As of right now, no. The vehicles have a flat cost. Maybe that will change during Beta.
Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
So, in the middle of a more or less evenly matched fight(numerically), you can't take away enough territory to make a quick impact and even as you slowly drive them back, they will still get resources for whatever kills/support actions - so a policy of resource denial won't be effective, certainly not in the short run.

But I've heard over the last 2 months several things: One is that basic uncustomized vehicles are free and the other is that they cost very little for basic and only cost meaningful amounts if you customize. Do we happen to have a more solid idea on this yet?

What stops 3AM marauding in PS1 btw? I've been playing a bit more this month but that's not something I've tried. Capping all of an empire's bases at 3AM would leave them with only those personal resources they had stocked and get from kills.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-07-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 2012-07-16, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sephirex
Major

But I've heard over the last 2 months several things: One is that basic uncustomized vehicles are free and the other is that they cost very little for basic and only cost meaningful amounts if you customize. Do we happen to have a more solid idea on this yet?
Most recent in game footage as of last week has shown otherwise. Maybe those idea's are still being bounced around?
Old 2012-07-16, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Most recent in game footage as of last week has shown otherwise. Maybe those idea's are still being bounced around?
Oh, you're right. Every time it gets brought up though people(not SOE people, just people) assume it's just placeholder figures so I kind of didn't pay attention to the actual amounts.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion