Dual wield pistols yes or no? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Abnormal since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

View Poll Results: Dual wield pistols for PS2
Yes 15 14.71%
No 72 70.59%
Have to see it first in beta 15 14.71%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.13 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-03-19, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Re: Dual wield pistols yes or no?

Originally Posted by Hoodlum View Post
LOL were still playing a game here and just because you don't or possibly can't do it in real life doesn't mean you shouldn't have the OPTION to do it I don't see maxes which by the way can dual wield walking around in real life does that mean we should take them out of PS2 ? .... if it was a side grade would it really bother you that much ? Also adding animations for dual wielding would be a lot less work then vech animations because they didn't build them into the models
Just because you could have, doesn't mean you should have.

Why not using banana rifles? Why not using little wings for everyone? Why not having 4 arms for everyone all with a 38 S&W? Why not having personal nuclear grenades for every cloacker? Why not giving katanas to everyone that cut through the armour instakilling anything smaller than a Vanguard? Why not homing throwing knives?

Planetside has its own logic, based on some presumptions like you may have shield or you may respawn. These are significant differences influencing everything from the backstory till the tactics used on the battlefield. But the characters have pretty similar capabilities like you and me. They need to aim down the sight to score a hit. They get blind when they face the sun. They get damage when they fall from high... Jet Li or Neo or Christian Bale in the movie Equilibrium may be fine with doublewield guns, but that's out of reach for most people.

And that's the point where it doesn't fit in PS lore. Those soldiers are not superhumans. A Hello Kitty sticker on your gal would not fit the lore either. You could have it, but you shouldn't.
Old 2012-03-19, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Hoodlum
Corporal

Originally Posted by Trolltaxi View Post
Just because you could have, doesn't mean you should have.

Why not using banana rifles? Why not using little wings for everyone? Why not having 4 arms for everyone all with a 38 S&W? Why not having personal nuclear grenades for every cloacker? Why not giving katanas to everyone that cut through the armour instakilling anything smaller than a Vanguard? Why not homing throwing knives?

Planetside has its own logic, based on some presumptions like you may have shield or you may respawn. These are significant differences influencing everything from the backstory till the tactics used on the battlefield. But the characters have pretty similar capabilities like you and me. They need to aim down the sight to score a hit. They get blind when they face the sun. They get damage when they fall from high... Jet Li or Neo or Christian Bale in the movie Equilibrium may be fine with doublewield guns, but that's out of reach for most people.

And that's the point where it doesn't fit in PS lore. Those soldiers are not superhumans. A Hello Kitty sticker on your gal would not fit the lore either. You could have it, but you shouldn't.
I think there's a big difference between nuke nades and insta kill katana's and having dual wield pistols lol, and you would have to hip fire and couldn't look down sights with 2 pistols
Old 2012-03-19, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Do you happen to have an argument why we should have dualwield pistols in PS? "Why couldn't we have?" is not an argument. "I'd feel longer." isn't one either.
Old 2012-03-19, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Hypevosa
Sergeant

It doesn't fit the setting of the game (these are 3 more or less militaristic factions, not some gangxsta gangs shooting at each other with 2 horizontally held .45.
Actually, it's 1 militaristic faction, 1 mercencary faction that emphasizes freedom over all else, and another faction with almost no military background at all but that has weapons which produce almost 0 recoil. The first faction would certainly just call it a silly ploy, but the second wouldn't restrict you from doing it on principle, and the third would see it as a very viable tactic for due to the way their weapons function.

It is a sci-fi shooter with all the 'magick' stuff, but pls, use your brains. If dual wield would make sense in real life, why isn't it applied by law enforcement or military forces? I will tell you.

- it is faster to handle one SMG than 2 pistols
- better accuracy
- faster ROF
- free hand to perform simple tasks (opening a door, bending a twig in a forest, or just clean the sweat out of your eyes)
- SMG+secondary pistol (in holster) is better than 2 pistols
- no need to learn delicate tasks with your left hand -ambidextrousity is just too rare to happen and those people often has problems with reading or writing and they often mix their left and right sides - that could use problems... Cover RIGHT! I SAID RIGHT YOU F*CKING beeeeeeep...

That is why dual wield has no place in a game that resembles the slightest touch of realism. (And PS2 does, otherwise we would fight upside down and physics wouldn't influence anything ingame).

And dual wield would require a lot of animations too. I'd rather have enter/exit animations pls.
You're still only thinking about akimbo 100% of the time (as opposed to, you know, holstering your left pistol now and again), which I agree would be stupid, and you're forgetting to apply it to the world of planetside - which is not the same as the real world at all.

In the real world a single, well placed round can put someone out of commission - but that isn't the case in planetside because of the fact that troops are running around in heavy armor and shielding. It's no longer about placing shots when a hit anywhere is what you need to make the enemy vulnerable.

Dual wielding pistols would be an effective strategy for getting through shielding faster by ripping through it with a few high caliber rounds rather than dozens of smaller caliber rounds. If I can fire off 6 rounds from akmibo .45s to drop your shield and then holster the left and take the headshot, it's more efficient than having to spray you with an SMG until your shield and health finally drop, unless you're opting for headshots with SMGs - but that wouldn't exactly be fair.
Old 2012-03-19, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Anyway, I think dual pistols should really be dual [hand-held, pistol-like weapon]. The thing people like about dual pistols is that it looks cool and is kind of badass to use because people do it in movies. Well, if that's the cool part, why strain yourself trying to figure out how to shoe-horn dual pistols into a game with shotguns, SMGs, carbines/rifles already? There wouldn't be any serious place for dual pistols competing with those weapons, so forget doing it and try a new angle instead.

So, take the dual-wielding concept and think of a new sort of weapon that it would be applied to. Something that captures the cool parts of dual pistols, but allows the setup to actually fill a niche in gameplay rather than pointlessly compete with SMGs or shotguns. The options are endless. Something like the bio gun, or flak gun from UT, something like the rocklet launcher from PS1, etc etc.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-19 at 08:59 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Hoodlum
Corporal

Do you happen to have an argument why we should have dualwield pistols in PS? "Why couldn't we have?" is not an argument. "I'd feel longer." isn't one either.
How about because I would like to be able to do it and have it as an option or side grade, what's wrong with that ..... and please tell me how my opinion can be wrong lol
Old 2012-03-19, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Hoodlum
Corporal

How about being able to use a pistol and a knife at the same time ?
Old 2012-03-20, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

How about because I would like to be able to do it and have it as an option or side grade, what's wrong with that ..... and please tell me how my opinion can be wrong lol
Someone with an opinion can't be wrong unless they're not based on facts or logic. I don't have problem with you having an opinion, I have problem with the concept of dualwield as it is not based on facts, or logic.

As I have already tried to prove, dualwield is neither based on facts, nor follows the logic of the planetside lore.

TR - it is full formal military, they won't go gangsta
NC - mercs and businessmen praising freedom. Why not? Because all the mercs I know about have some sort of a) formal military training and multiple years of service b) use common sense and rely on proven weapons c) don't have ambidextrosity and split brains to aim with 2 guns simultanously
VS - my greatest concerns with dualwield are recoil and aiming. Beamers may have no recoil, but you still have to aim with them, even at close range (2-10 meters).

And you cannot shoot faster with 2 guns than with a single smg, especially with large calibers. You feel lucky if you can hold a .45 somewhere at the general direction of your enemy after the first shot. For lower calibers, there is the SMG.

Dualwield looks badass, great for a game with a different setting ("gangsta ballads" or L4D), but PS isn't like this.
Old 2012-03-20, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
RNFB
First Sergeant

I want dual wield beamers with the infinite ammo module
Old 2012-03-20, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Triple A
Private

Why would you bother to put away a weapon once you have already blown through a person's armor? The TTK in this game is already super quick 2 shots would probably take out the person's actual health bar.
My biggest problem however is with CoF. I feel like if you were to make it realistic only the Vanu would be able to legitimately use dual wield due to the recoiless Beamer. People would complain about how "OP" Vanu cloakers are and then they would make changes to the other weapons to attempt to balance it and that could then make it so that those pistols are only viable when duel wielded. See where I'm going here? It's all about balance, I've played enough MMOs to know that balance is key.
Old 2012-03-20, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
I'm pretty sure that all maxes will have dual weapons now.
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
Old 2012-03-20, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Hypevosa
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Triple A View Post
Why would you bother to put away a weapon once you have already blown through a person's armor? The TTK in this game is already super quick 2 shots would probably take out the person's actual health bar.
My biggest problem however is with CoF. I feel like if you were to make it realistic only the Vanu would be able to legitimately use dual wield due to the recoiless Beamer. People would complain about how "OP" Vanu cloakers are and then they would make changes to the other weapons to attempt to balance it and that could then make it so that those pistols are only viable when duel wielded. See where I'm going here? It's all about balance, I've played enough MMOs to know that balance is key.
You'd put the weapon away for the headshot since the accuracy should be balls enough to not guarantee one unless you're less than 10 feet from the person. Chances are if you've dropped their shield, they're running and dodging and generally making it even harder to get a kill shot, or they're stupid and deserve to die.

Vanu would be balanced out by being incapable of headshots I would think (though maybe add a blinding effect instead?) and the mercs would have their faster bloom rate from high recoil and slower firing rate meaning misses would be a bigger problem.
Old 2012-03-21, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Triple A
Private

The very last game play footage in Higby's interview with gametrailers shows someone getting killed. I could hear the Repeater pistol fire 3 times and the person was dead (Light Assault).
Old 2012-03-21, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Pozidriv
Corporal

How about being able to use a pistol and a knife at the same time ?
Commando
Lightweight
Marathon
+ Tactical knife .

Kidding aside, for cloakers perhaps?
Old 2012-03-21, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
BloodySoul
Corporal

Duel wielding could be seen for maybe an infil.... but A duel wield on any other kind of soldier would be useless. There are equipment terms in many places so refilling ammo isn't an issue. Not to mention you usually die before you run out. If you do run out then taht mean 1 of 2 things.

1) Your a useless idiot that hides to much.
2) Your a useless smart person who is fighting alone without helping the team.

So yea, duel's are not needed. Less adding on to Alpha = faster Beta release.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault