Sniper questions - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beware of Hamma.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-01-15, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dedlaw
Private

Sniper questions

So I'm as green as it gets when it comes to PS2, and I've got a few things I'd like to know.

Physics-wise, does the bullet hit where you aim the second you pull the trigger or do you need to lead the target a bit for a successful hit, and if so, by how much? Also if velocity is a factor to consider, are there any others?

Are head-shots 1-hit kills with some of the more powerful rifles?

Between the different Empires, does one have a sniper that's superior to the others or are they all more or less classed in a similar way? If it helps, I have a preference for damage/accuracy over rate-of-fire.

Appreciate any input
Old 2013-01-15, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Re: Sniper questions

Originally Posted by Dedlaw View Post
Physics-wise, does the bullet hit where you aim the second you pull the trigger or do you need to lead the target a bit for a successful hit, and if so, by how much? Also if velocity is a factor to consider, are there any others?
Rounds fired from any gun are affected by velocity and bullet drop, so you have to both account for movement/travel time and also distance. The exception to this is VS weapons which don't have any bullet drop at all (but still have to account for travel time), they instead lose more damage over distance than the other factions' weapons (the exception is VS bolt action sniper rifles, those do have drop).

The amount you have to lead a target (or account for distance) will depend greatly on the weapon you're using, they all have different bullet velocity stats. Test them out at the warpgate to get a rough idea on this, especially the drop.

Are head-shots 1-hit kills with some of the more powerful rifles?
Barring some exceptions, all the bolt action sniper rifles are one hit kill with headshots. The exceptions are things like if a heavy has their shield up, if someone has lots of ranks in nanoweave armour, and I think also distance (as in, damage degredation over range). But generally, you'll kill someone in one hit at most distances if you hit them in the head, or two body shots.

The semi autos do less damage, so take more hits to kill (obviously with their advantage being rate of fire and more ammo). I think they're generally something like 2-3 hits to the head to kill.

Between the different Empires, does one have a sniper that's superior to the others or are they all more or less classed in a similar way? If it helps, I have a preference for damage/accuracy over rate-of-fire.
All of the factions have access to both semi automatic and bolt action rifles, the difference being that NC are the only faction where their infiltrator starts with a bolt action as default (the other two start with semi autos).

Aside from the semi auto/bolt action divide, each faction also has access to a large calibre rifle each (again, all bolt action), which have better damage and bullet velocity at the cost of having a slower reload. Some view this as a straight upgrade over the other bolt actions, and something that needs fixing.

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2013-01-15 at 08:22 AM.
Old 2013-01-15, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
-snip-
Shade has answered your question, but for more detail, stats at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...w&gid=12&pli=1

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-01-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 2013-01-16, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
karaperro
Private

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
Shade has answered your question, but for more detail, stats at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...w&gid=12&pli=1
Nice link thx
Old 2013-01-15, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dedlaw
Private

Appreciate all the info, thanks a lot
Old 2013-01-15, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Wahooo
Captain

The spread sheet is still pulled right from game files? It is up to date on everything? All boilt action rifles have the same bullet drop? My brain may be f-ing with me from empire to empire on bullet drop.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
The spread sheet is still pulled right from game files? It is up to date on everything? All boilt action rifles have the same bullet drop? My brain may be f-ing with me from empire to empire on bullet drop.
I believe that the spreadsheet data is extracted from game files.

I don't understand the bullet drop stat being the same; I would have thought that this would be related to velocity; that's how it works in the real world (taking into account gravity and air resistance).

But I can appreciate that short cuts need to be taken to reduce the amount of calculation required - there are a lot of bullets out there! Nevertheless, I would expect high velocity rifles to suffer less drop.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Yeah, that confused me too. The only thing I can think of is that the actual drop of the bullet is calculated from a combination of the two (drop and bullet velocity) stats, to create the "curve" of the actual path.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions