New to PC gaming question about controller set up - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vanu, the other white meat
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-12-18, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rsinart
Private

New to PC gaming question about controller set up

Heya, so downloaded this the other day and been having fun with it. But honestly coming from being a console game my entire life, I am struggling using a keyboard and mouse. I can do it, but I am slow and my giant hands hit things and I mess up. Not sure thats the reason I can't seem to kill anyone or what lol.

But I got a pc controller and have it set up. But when I am using the left trigger to aim, and the right trigger to shoot. I can't seem to figure out how to set it up so I can keep aimed in and shoot at the same time. If I am aimed in and then press to shoot it takes away me looking down the sights.

Any info would be appreciated. Looks like a fun game even if I am terrible at it at this time.
Old 2012-12-19, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Re: New to PC gaming question about controller set up

I really would recommend that you stick with the keyboard and mouse.

I struggled when I first tried an FPS on a PC, and for the first week or 2 I was fumbling around barely able to make my char run in a straight line, let alone aim, shoort and kill.

But I persisted and things eventually clicked; now I wouldn't dream of using anything else, mouse aiming is far superior to using a fiddly little joystick.

If you have big hands, then you may want to consider getting a decent ergonomic gaming mouse. I use a Logitech G700, which really suits me; my hand just rests on top of it in a natural position. And it has loads of extra buttons that can be bound to the keyboard, so I can do the following with just a click:

Thumb button activated:
Weapon 1
Weapon 2
Weapon 3
Grenade

Finger activated:
Use ability
Spot
Melee
Change sensitivity (higher for turrets)
Old 2012-12-19, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

I've used the Nostromo for many a year...I'd recommend it, or something similar, for movement and such. A mouse, once you get accustomed to it, is probably going to trump an Xbox360/PS3 controller in speed and accuracy.
Old 2012-12-19, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
HiroshiChugi
Captain

if your insistant on the controller,try changing the ADS/Zoom to toggle,not hold.but i'd suggest sticking with the mouse and keyboard. I'm a multi-platform gamer and i still favor the mouse over the controller joysticks. easier to aim and shoot.plus its more accurate,as with Planetside 2,your sensitvity changes on how fast you move the mouse
Old 2012-12-19, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rsinart
Private

Thanks for the replys. Again I just think the problem lies with me being a console gamer for most of my 32 years. I do have larger hands, and being on the wasd set up on this Corsair K90 keyboard is a bit cramped.

I will keep on trying it out. I might be 10 kills to 1000 deaths by then though lol. Coming from console is a big change, but I can see why people are so fond of their PC's. Its nice to finally have a great machine to play on.

Thanks.
Old 2012-12-20, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gortha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rsinart View Post
Thanks for the replys. Again I just think the problem lies with me being a console gamer for most of my 32 years. I do have larger hands, and being on the wasd set up on this Corsair K90 keyboard is a bit cramped.

I will keep on trying it out. I might be 10 kills to 1000 deaths by then though lol. Coming from console is a big change, but I can see why people are so fond of their PC's. Its nice to finally have a great machine to play on.

Thanks.
Beeing 31 Years myself i still play with the Arrow-Keys which are far more separated. And better for awkwardly hands or big hands. I am also used to play with them from my 7th year and i refuse to switch to WASD or ESDF.

I would suggest you use the Setup or an altered setup i use:

Moving: Arrow-Keys.
Jump: ENTER/RETURN (small finger/pinky/5thfinger) -- (sometimes Ring-Finger for Duckjump)
SPRINT: CRTL (small finger/pinky/5thfinger)
SHIFT: DUCK/ToggleDUCK (small finger/pinky/5thfinger)
USE: END-Key
Grenade: DELETE
SPOT Enemy: PAGE Down
ABILITY/USE ABILITY: NUMBLOCK ZERO/INSERT (Thumb) [for Shield, Nana-healing-Aura, etc.]
Toggle-Fire-Mode: NUMBLOCK DECIMAL/Delete (Thumb) [Change ACE or Single-Shot/Auto-Fire]

Squad-Voice-Chat: NUMBLOCK1
Proximity-Voice-Chat: NUMBLOCK4
etc....
MAP: NUMBLOCK8
Vehicle 3rd Person: NUMBLOCK5

Regards
Gortha

http://z0r.de/1573

Last edited by Gortha; 2012-12-20 at 03:57 AM.
Old 2012-12-20, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gortha
First Sergeant

@Rsinart

I also suggest that you lower your Mouse-Sensivity ingame and turn of Mouse-Acceleration in Windows or inGame by selecting "use Mouse Raw input".

Often bad players have a way to fast mouse sensivity for a good, precise and fast killing aim.

Try something around that you need 3/4 of the width of your mouse-pad for a 180°-Turn.
A bit less or more.
Play around with the Sensivity -Settings....

Reg
Gortha

http://z0r.de/1573

Last edited by Gortha; 2012-12-20 at 04:20 AM.
Old 2012-12-29, 12:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Huntsab
Sergeant

I highly recommend you ditch the controller. If you want any chance to compete, even against noobs, then get yourself acquainted with using keys in conjunction with the mouse. Use a controller and you may as well be blindfolded. Your fingers will get used to the keys and anyone can use a mouse for aiming. Just like playing a musical instrument. Controllers have a place. beat 'em ups, platformers etc, but FPS....naw you will fail and fail hard. Just practise mate, you'll be there in no time.
Old 2013-01-04, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
xthorgoldx
Private

I've found a really good way to get used to the mouse-and-keyboard control scheme is to play single-player games. Half Life in particular is fun, easy to pick up, and really gets you used to the "point-and-click" layout of PC FPS (plus, it's a great game and it's cheap).

Trying to master the keyboard layout while actively competing in PS2 is sort of like trying to run before you can walk - you can get used to it, but it'll be a frustrating trial-and-error experience through a gauntlet of fire as you get the hang of mouse options and keybinding.

DO tough it out, though. Once you get used to it, mouse and keyboard is hands-down superior to a controller in 90% of scenarios. The only times I'd use anything else would be a joystick (for jet piloting, in PS2 the helicopter-like ESFs are better with mouse) and a controller (for racing games, since WASD doesn't translate well to driving).
Old 2013-01-13, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
moonshake
Private

I'm used to using a keyboard and mouse and would never switch to a controller, but I am new to fps games and am having trouble aiming precisely in cqc. For example, when an enemy player runs into a room, I see him, he sees me, we both aim and shoot, its difficult for me to aim accurately at the target, let alone at particular parts of the body. But I'm going to struggle through it, as I've found the best way to succeed is through trial and error. It would be helpful however if there was some sort of simulation training before going into live battle.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions