*Sigh* Another patch hurting cloakers... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Run hes got a Jammer Grenade!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-11, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Jaged
Why do yhe devs hate us cloakers? Sure they gave us the grenade clips, but they also halved the size of shotgun ammo boxes. My NC infils inventory is already crammed full. Now I get half as much ammo.
I've only recently started concentrating on an NC infil, and I was stunned at the versatility of inventory space specifically because of the lack of balance with ammunition. If you go out with an AMP, you'd best have 2 boxes of ammo minimum with you because it chews through the ammo so quickly. If you go out with a single box you'll be scavenging backpacks pretty quickly. If you're a hacker, you definitely want an REK with you. If you're a CE, that leaves 1 spot for an ACE. The Repeater fares slightly better, but I'm still more comfortable with 2 boxes of ammo there. The Beamer is a joke and not worth including in the discussion.
Then I start up with an NC infil and find that a single box of ammo is more than adequate. I can go out with the Magscatter, one box of ammo and 3 aces and be a highly effective killing machine. Scavenging shottie shells is far easier than people make it sound (we're NC, just look for the friendly backpacks), but since 30 shells plus the initial clip is ~8 kills I don't have to be in any hurry to find the shells.
NC infil, just like Jackhammer and Sweeper users have had an ammo benefit that the other empires couldn't enjoy. I don't know if the proposed numbers will end up being the correct fix, but I do know that it needed a fix.
Old 2004-02-11, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Madcow
NC infil, just like Jackhammer and Sweeper users have had an ammo benefit that the other empires couldn't enjoy. I don't know if the proposed numbers will end up being the correct fix, but I do know that it needed a fix.
Agreed.

Old 2004-02-11, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Doop
Major

Feh, it's called AMP. AMP > Magscatter. 30 ammo per box, use that instead.
Old 2004-02-11, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

MagScatter is much better...you can carry more and kill more effectively.

Old 2004-02-11, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
EarlyDawn
Major General

Nice patch. I wonder if the Core Combat batteries are going to be like current clips, or rechargable?
Old 2004-02-11, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Guess I missed the Core Combat batteries... Can someone quote it from the site? I'm behind a firewall at school.

Old 2004-02-11, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Doop
Feh, it's called AMP. AMP > Magscatter. 30 ammo per box, use that instead.
30 ammo per box? It takes 10+ shots to kill somebody if they're not good enough to get out of the way (and if they are, kiss your butt goodbye). Let's say 15 shots as you probably pump a few extra bullets into them because it takes a moment for the game to register their death. The boxes are in fact 50, not 30, so that allows you to kill 3 people, 4 if you include the clip in the gun. You might stretch this out to 5 kills, 6 would be fairly miraculous.
Compare that to the MagScatter and it's 8 deaths using only 1 box of ammo (8 deaths is based on 4+ shots per kill, btw, when you'll normally actually use 3). Compare the TTK, compare the fact that the CoF bloom is so minimal that even if somebody makes an escape move you'll drop them if you're decent and your connection is good. In a lot of case it boils down to personal preference, and obviously I prefer the MagScatter. In matters of inventory space, preference has nothing to do with it. The MagScatter has a huge advantage.
Old 2004-02-11, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Amen. Why can't the NC just admit it? They must be in denial.

Old 2004-02-11, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

The Magscatter is now vastly superior to all other pistols.... Except the Spiker of course but you have to have the MA cert to use that so I dont see a problem. The Rexo buff is why the Magscatter is the best pistol. It did not lose any TTK at all and still takes the same ammount of ammo it always did to kill troopers.

The Repeater on the other hand takes almost 20 shots at 10m to kill a fresh Rexo (the whole clip). People that dont play an Infiltrator dont have a clue how hard that is to pull off. Point blank you can kill one in 14 shots and amounts to something like 5 seconds. 5 seconds is an eternity when it is trivial for a Rexo to turn around and kill a point blank cloaker.

Killing at point blank is now only for the Melee booster knife and Magscatter (you can still use the AMP but its a lot harder). All other Infiltrators that dont have/use this combo were nerfed. Boomers are not usefull for killing unless you manage to surge into a pack of troopers. If you fill your inventory with them, you are defensless against enemy cloakers. You need a REK so you can hack/jack, you need a pistol for defense (or offense) so that leaves room for only3 boomers max. Now if you take into consideration that you need the Medical Applicator so that you can be effective and not just die whenever splash hits you (or if you want to ninja rez) then that leaves 2 slots for boomers. Add the ever important box of ammo and now you have 1 slot for an ACE. I agree that the shotgun ammo boxs were giving the NC far too much "inventory power" as compared to everyone else, so now the Magscatter has the same nerfed ammo problems that all the other cloakers suffer, but at least you have a useable pistol

Last edited by Queensidecastle; 2004-02-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2004-02-11, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SilverLord
Amen. Why can't the NC just admit it? They must be in denial.
The problems here are with innocence and ego.

The innocence comes in because no NC player is responsible for the equipment and vehicular superiority they enjoy. They did nothing wrong and someone who did nothing wrong is loathe to accept any blame or responsibility. Not that they should, but that�s another topic.

The ego part is if an NC player admits their equipment and vehicles are superior then they are admitting their earned rank, kill counts, and social status within the game were perhaps not fully earned. This deflates the since of accomplishment and pride in achieving high BR and CR. To admit an unfair advantage would cheapen their accomplishments.

The above two things nag constantly on NC players conscious. Many choose to just remain silent and others are in denial.
Old 2004-02-11, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by BadAsh
The problems here are with innocence and ego.

The innocence comes in because no NC player is responsible for the equipment and vehicular superiority they enjoy. They did nothing wrong and someone who did nothing wrong is loathe to accept any blame or responsibility. Not that they should, but that�s another topic.

The ego part is if an NC player admits their equipment and vehicles are superior then they are admitting their earned rank, kill counts, and social status within the game were perhaps not fully earned. This deflates the since of accomplishment and pride in achieving high BR and CR. To admit an unfair advantage would cheapen their accomplishments.

The above two things nag constantly on NC players conscious. Many choose to just remain silent and others are in denial.
Good post.

Old 2004-02-11, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

BadAsh, I couldn't agree more. I personaly have been a NC long beore beta. I diddn't choose to have the most powerful weapons, and I would perfer not to. Thats partly why I am going back to my tusty common pool Bolt Driver. Sure, I am going to suit up in heavy assult, like I said earlier, but why not make use of that great tool for blasting pesky cloakers who sneek up behind me?
Old 2004-02-11, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Personaly i say some of our equipment is over powered but i don't use any of it cough*Van/JH*cough Reaver, guass, lighting, Bd, and Pheonix. if anyone calls alny of the weapons unfair they should be hung.

I never have realy even had a Magscatter in my inventory, i have something like 2 pistol kills, both AMP. So i can't comment on it

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-02-11, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
TheRegurgitator
Major

I'm gonna be waiting til Core combat prices go down
Old 2004-02-11, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by BadAsh
innocence and ego.
awesome post.

this whole thing applies to every buff/nerf argument ever, as well as so much more
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion