PSU: Don't let the priest touch you on your way out
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-06-19, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

fatality 990 amd board - ubuntu 12

just got my sound working. when i loaded it i had no sound. if anyone decides to check it out and has ati hdmi sound. be sure to go to additional drivers and activate the ati driver. this installed hdmi sound card as well built onto the card. thing crushes windows 8 and was the only hiccup i had while installing ubuntu 12. desktop looks like osx but slicker with my TR PS2 backround. but sound seems to be a big problem getting it to work in ubuntu 12 so thought i'd throw this out there for the nerds who are running amd bulldozers wanting to check it out. i'll probably video my desktop once i turn on compiz. haven't activated 3d desktop yet

Last edited by Exmortius; 2012-06-19 at 05:43 PM.
Old 2012-06-19, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: fatality 990 amd board - ubuntu 12

I had actually tried running Linux Mint 12 KDE on my desktop at work a while ago, but I could never get the Llano graphics enabled - only the HD 4350 actually outputs a signal, even after I installed catalyst 12.4. After much head bashing, I traced it to the fact that Biostar doesn't have a driver for the Llano chipset - nor does AMD or any other mobo manufacturer. So since two three screens are blank while running Linux, I ditched the Linux install when I updated to Windows 8 RP.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-06-19, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

i haven't run mint yet been pretty happy with ubuntu so far. 10.10 was pretty solid but i'm definitely digging 12 a bit more so far. the video seems to run smoother on the same ati card i had on 10. i'll have to install mint in virtual box or something to check it out soon. i haven't run dual screens though i just run it through my 52" samsung lcd plan on playing planetside 2 on it as well. linux is just one of those things ya gotta mess around with and tweak with sometimes to get to work. but once you get it right it's solid til you reload it.
Old 2012-06-20, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I have found that Linux doesn't always run the best on the newest hardware simply because the driver support lags significantly.

Also (and this is a personal thing) I can't stand the Ubuntu 12 unity interface. Its too much like a Mac. Not only is it too simplified, but really the only way to do any significant amount of customization to it is to basically roll it back to GNOME, which I personally think really sucks compared to KDE plasma desktops.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-06-20, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

ya at first i kinda liked kde more when i first loaded that up, then for some reason i found myself loading gnome back up and enjoying that interface more in 10.10. i have a mac book pro since i'm a musician and i like the osx setup so i guess thats why i kinda dig it more possibly. it definitely doesn't have quite the customization like i had in 10.10 but i'm still kinda tweaking around on it and reading up on it online to see if there are other things i can do to make it a bit more like 10.10. 10 was crazy how you could change absolutely everything. even though it might not be as customizable as 10 or the kde i think it still looks a hell of a lot nicer than win8 or 7. the audio definitely works much better so far than even windows 8 lol my audio fails after a couple min in the new windows which is kinda dumb but runs great in ubuntu.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

figured i'd post my rig stats , for hard drives i have two 1TB seagate 7200s. i have great luck with them in general and for non ssd i'd definitely recommend seagate. the video card when i got it was probably only $150 but runs pretty solid so far. depending on how beta runs i might upgrade this to a beefy new one but other than that so far i've had good luck with this stuff. never had to reboot this in about 7-8 months of use. like i mentioned before i dual boot ubuntu 12 w/ win8 now. there is a bug with my audio cutting out with win 8 when listening to my zune but that's bout the only quirky thing i've seen so far. we'll see how beta runs on this guy :P

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX

Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,Active PFC"Compatible ...

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100328L Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Old 2012-06-20, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

good lord that's a lot of powersupply for that computer.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum