Outfit tips for a newbie? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you smell bacon?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-18, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zeo
Private

Outfit tips for a newbie?

Oh hello there didnt see walk into these forums.

Well I'm Zeo a newbie to planetside in general, and I have a few questions about Outfits in general.

First off my outfit that I am making is called S.T.A.G (Strike Tactics and Assault Group). We would be specializing in infantry and support combat roles also with an added capability of infilitrating or fighting enemies at night.

My questions are

Can outfits team up together and go on missions at the same time? (EX: STAG troops rushing a base are supported by an air outfit.)

Since I want to train people how initialy sign up for my outfit, what would be the best way to do that?

What are some tactical roles that would increase infantry combat effectiveness?

That's all I have for now, so can anyone give me an idea of what direction I need to beheading?
Old 2012-05-18, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Re: Outfit tips for a newbie?

Originally Posted by Zeo View Post
Oh hello there didnt see walk into these forums.

Well I'm Zeo a newbie to planetside in general, and I have a few questions about Outfits in general.

First off my outfit that I am making is called S.T.A.G (Strike Tactics and Assault Group). We would be specializing in infantry and support combat roles also with an added capability of infilitrating or fighting enemies at night.

My questions are

Can outfits team up together and go on missions at the same time? (EX: STAG troops rushing a base are supported by an air outfit.)

Since I want to train people how initialy sign up for my outfit, what would be the best way to do that?

What are some tactical roles that would increase infantry combat effectiveness?

That's all I have for now, so can anyone give me an idea of what direction I need to beheading?
1. Yea there would be no reason outfits cant team up and fight together. This won't be a system in the game necessarily just part of the social game. If you want to coordinate with another outfit then talk to other outfit leaders and build those relationships. Then find a Voice channel you guys can share and make it happen! That's all on you, the player, to organize that sort of stuff!

2. Training people? Really thats a hard one to answer. To train them you need to know what you are doing yourself. Find the leaders in your outfit who know good strategy and tactics and let them train. When the game comes out there will be tons of nuance to the gameplay that will take time to learn for new players. Training new people in my mind is making sure they understand the basics of good strategy. This also means making sure they understand the Do's/Dont's for basic play.

3. I can't answer specifically what roles will increase infantry combat effectiveness but I know that you will be able to spec out your outfit to make it tailored for infantry roles. They have confirmed that outfit based benefits can be chosen to make an outfit fit into a certain role, so you are covered in that aspect.

4. Just get in the game and make friends, find like-minded players. Best thing also. Get a voice channel!!!

P.S. Also... play Vanu Sovereignty! Thats the most important thing.

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-05-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 2012-05-18, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Thomas
Corporal

Well we can't completely answer your questions as we know very little of the Outfit system in PS2.

Outfits can certainly cooperate with each other, all you've got to do is communicate with the leaders of that outfit and you can plan your attacks together.

To be honest we'll just have to wait for more information on how the classes work before we can talk about combat roles. Any outfits being created right now will have problems as no one understands the game mechanics yet so you'll just have to wait and recruit some members into the outfit for the beta before you can go full out into recruiting mode and begin creating your own tactics.

Also, everyone knows that the Terran Republic has always had the best outfits!
Old 2012-05-18, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Graywolves
General

It's hard to say anything about Planetside 2 beyond speculation (although some things will be more reasonable probably closer to fact than others).

But yes outfits can work together. There was no in-game support for this in Planetside 1 but there were many Alliance Operations conducted with many outfits using a segregated team speak server and an Operations Order(mission briefing). In Planetside 2 multiple outfits should be able to accept the same public mission and follow that as a waypoint at the very least.

Obviously you can't really train your outfit until the game has launched. There is a recruitment sub-forum here that I'm sure you are welcome to use. If you manage to get a site/forum up you can direct your potentials there and begin your forming and organization phase.

There will be plenty of ways to support infantry. Engineers can deploy turrets, medics can heal. You can use AA/AV weapons. Provide support and scout with infiltrators. I am certain there will be much more you can do, infantry is inherently one of the more versatile things. This can't really be discussed in depth quite yet as it's when you get in the game that you can test some ideas by fire and start actually theorycrafting with what you've seen and what is available.
Old 2012-05-18, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
WorldOfForms
Corporal

If you want to create your own outfit (and presumably be outfit leader), I strongly suggest you learn how to play the game a while first. It will help your recruitment efforts if you aren't totally clueless as to how the game works, and it will also help you understand what kind of players you want to recruit.
Old 2012-05-18, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ale
Corporal

Wink Re: Outfit tips for a newbie?

Originally Posted by Zeo View Post
so can anyone give me an idea of what direction I need to beheading?
South. Anywhere beyond Ciudad Juarez should do the trick.
Old 2012-05-18, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Noivad
Master Sergeant

There are two vids on PSU that have Higby talking about Outfits, specialization, Missions , ect.

Be prepared to use a good Voice Program if the new Vox system in PS2 does not live up to expectations. We use Teamspeak 3 because its proven to 512 people at one time, and has the ablity to setup multiple channels and whispers to either groups or indivuals.

In a interview, Higby stated that he wants to be able to have programs like Teamspeak 3 work alongside their Voice system so Outfits could use both systems at one time. A very cool concept.

You need to have a basic Forums, as a lot of members are social creatures and whant to have a chats with each other, only your outfit can see.

You need to determine what your prime outfit time is.

East Coast, West Coast, Euro, Ect, and if your outfit will operate globally, allowing people out of you area to join you.

Establish your rules for the outfit- what they can do or not do.

There are Alliances already being losely formed, where Outfits will work together.

Use BETA to decide what specialization your outfit will be, and decide for yourself, how many Squad, Platoon, Outfits Hours, you are prepared to train for you outfit. If your an OL, your going to have to put a lot of time in that, before you can do a lot of training on anything else. So how much Vehicle - Weapon goodies are you willing to sacrafice for the people in your outfit. The OL is NOT going to have a lot of extras for his weapons or Vehicles at first.

With the specialization, people will tend to join you at 1st based on what your outfit does. Then they will decide to stay with you based on how well you lead them and if its fun to be with you.

"There is NO "I" in Teamwork"

DOG SLOGAN - "It's not the size of the DOG in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the DOG"

DOG BATTLE CRY - " Cry 'Havoc,' and Let Slip The DOG's OF War. "

And Hamma I see the VS and the NC have infiltrated your board. So the TR will have to kill them all and make them the yellow bastards they are
Old 2012-05-19, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ale View Post
South. Anywhere beyond Ciudad Juarez should do the trick.
LOL, having had a GF from Mexico, I can wholeheartedly say... someone did get that joke... Its a damn shame, but funny nonetheless

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-05-19, 04:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ringring
Contributor
General

A question from me:
From you post it sounds like this is you on your own wanting to do this.

Do you have a group of friends already waiting to go also wanting to make this work?

If not I'd say you will be up against it. In planetside to create an outfit you had to have 10 people ready, online and waiting to join.

The other thing about there already being a group of you is that it spreads the work-load.
Just list what has to be done:
create and run effective squads (and you can't be online al day every day, you will need to delegate)
work out tactics and learn the game
work out what style of outfit you want (and also what your officers want), will the squad you run be 'tight' or 'loose'
Decide on your recruitment policy
Recruit outfit members, in a non annoying way
Create outfit forums

well that's enough for now

My point is, before creating an outfit there should be a group of like-minded individuals already waiting and willing to make it work. Of course this group can be built up over the course of beta.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Unforgiven
Corporal

the best thing would be to learn the game - (especially if your not a vet)

try your hand at leading a few squads with some kind of voice chat. - if nobody listens, you might not have a leadership type of voice, which you will need

then try to get your name out there as a good, organized player who actually makes a difference. - of course, you will actually have to do those things.

if you get a group of players who recognize you, they will most likely continue following your missions, and would make great Officers when the time comes.

Officers will have to be like minded individuals with the same goals. after all, you cant be online all the time. someone has to run the show while your away, and they will have to be good or you risk becoming infamous!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion