Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here*** - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: please don't kick the buckets. They're filled with high explosives.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-10, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***

So much for it running well on 4 - 5 year old rigs then. That's exactly the specs of the pc I got 5 years ago.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
So much for it running well on 4 - 5 year old rigs then. That's exactly the specs of the pc I got 5 years ago.
I don't believe they ever said "run well", I think they said run. It will probably run fine at 1024x768 and all graphics settings on low.

Its clear to see from the screenshots of Planetside 2 that this game would never "run well" on 5 year old hardware.

Hell, I doubt it will even run well on 2 year old hardware. I consider "running well" being 1920x1080 on medium to high settings.

Planetside 2 has AMAZING graphics, and if they need to sacrifice some playerbase because of underpowered computers then I feel it is a choice worth making.
Old 2012-07-10, 04:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by NumbaOneStunna View Post
I don't believe they ever said "run well", I think they said run. It will probably run fine at 1024x768 and all graphics settings on low.
But that's perfectly playable, which contradicts Smedley's statement of it not being fun.

I don't think anyone expects a 5 year old PC to run it on anything other than low, so I'm not sure why you assumed I thought it'd be running on high.

Hell, I'm sure a PC like mine will have trouble on higher settings than med/low given the pop #s.

Last edited by Bags; 2012-07-10 at 04:49 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #154
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
But that's perfectly playable, which contradicts Smedley's statement of it not being fun.

I don't think anyone expects a 5 year old PC to run it on anything other than low, so I'm not sure why you assumed I thought it'd be running on high.

Hell, I'm sure a PC like mine will have trouble on higher settings than med/low given the pop #s.
I don't consider low resolutions "perfectly playable". Playable yes but its not going to be fun. At low resolutions the GUI/HUD takes up so much of the screen and it looks like crap on LCD monitors because its not in the monitors native resolution. Again, not fun.

On the other hand, another tweet in regards to system specs:

Jordan Hokanson ‏@vanu_conpublic

@j_smedley will my intel core 2 duo e8400 be able to run this?

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley

@vanu_conpublic it's not great yet on a core 2 duo. We're working on it. Just want to be straight with you.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #155
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

That means you are looking at a highly clocked two core CPU, two core CPU w/ HT, or a quad core. This is getting interesting.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #156
BNuts
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Misc Info

Asus g73Sw

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
System RAM: 8169 MB
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
CPU Speeds: 2001
Physical CPUs: 1
Virtual CPUs: 8
Video Card Description: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
VRAM: 1535 MB
Primary Display Resolution: 1920x1080
Multi-Monitor Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080
Microphone: True
Language: English (United States)
Free Hard Drive Space: 20939 MB
Total Hard Drive Space: 119233 MB
Windows Experience Index Rating: 5.9

I hope this works, lol. I cant afford another computer for at least 6 more months.

Overthrown / BNuts - PS1

Old 2012-07-10, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

It will likely play the game. Probably around normal. I wouldn't count on anything higher and you may have to lower the resolution.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Minigun
Staff Sergeant

q6600 quadcore @ 2.4ghz
Nividia GTS250 -DX10
3GB ram - (may upgrade) would rather just buy a new cpu though

runs battlefield on medium around 25-40 fps runs battlefield on low* around 40-100
Old 2012-07-11, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Minigun View Post
q6600 quadcore @ 2.4ghz
Nividia GTS250 -DX10

runs battlefield on medium around 25-40 fps runs battlefield on low* around 40-100
Will probably run PS2, but with mostly low settings.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-07-11, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

q6600 quadcore @ 2.4ghz
Nividia GTS250 -DX10

Ailos hit it run on the head. Is this a prebuilt or did you build it yourself? You could potentially get away with overclocking that Q6600 to 3 GHz and many do 3.6 GHz if you have the right stepping. That would put off a CPU upgrade allowing you to do the GPU instead. You need a proper CPU coller though.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I think the cheapest, easiest, and best upgrade for that machine is double it to 6 GB ram, honestly. That and step it up to a GTX 460/AMD 7700 series.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-07-12, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #162
Minigun
Staff Sergeant

thanks, i'll look into doubling the ram its a prebuilt machine from 07 that i've steadily kept up over the years. time to start saving for a new machine i really need a new base to start from as everything is pretty outdated.

My tech guy from work builds them wholesale what i really want to work with is an [email protected]+,GTX560ti, and 8+gb of ram. I'll see what magic he can work
Old 2012-07-12, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

thanks, i'll look into doubling the ram its a prebuilt machine from 07 that i've steadily kept up over the years. time to start saving for a new machine i really need a new base to start from as everything is pretty outdated.

My tech guy from work builds them wholesale what i really want to work with is an [email protected]+,GTX560ti, and 8+gb of ram. I'll see what magic he can work
For gaming, don't go with the i7 unless you just have money to waste.

Get an i5, use the saved money to buy a better video card. Honestly a 560ti isn't good, its worse than a GTX480. A 570 and a 480 are comparable.
Old 2012-07-12, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
Minigun
Staff Sergeant

Hmm. If you guys were going to build a machine for a grand with an nvidia chipset and win7 what would you recommend? Also I wouldn't mind looking into a guide for overclocking my current CPU if somebody wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction. It's an HP Elite m9040n with a gts250, I've already read some people clocking the processor to 3.0ghz with standard built in cooling with no problems but I'm not very knowledgeable in that area.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 2012-07-12, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Hmm. If you guys were going to build a machine for a grand with an nvidia chipset and win7 what would you recommend? Also I wouldn't mind looking into a guide for overclocking my current CPU if somebody wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction. It's an HP Elite m9040n with a gts250, I've already read some people clocking the processor to 3.0ghz with standard built in cooling with no problems but I'm not very knowledgeable in that area.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
With the right motherboard, putting a small overclock on your CPU is as easy as changing a few numbers on the BIOS screen. However, the motherboard that HP came with is not the right one for that task. (That MB has a G33 chipset, while the higher-end P35 chipset of the same era is the one that enables easy overclocking.)

That said, your HP will probably run PS2 as is. You'll probably have to stick to lower resolutions (1280x720ish) and lowered details, but it should run.

If you'd like for us to help you source and price together a PC build, make your own thread, with these questions answered. But in general, all of our community builds for your price range feature these core components:

IronFist After Dark
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum