Big Concern: Hackers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please don't pet the Hamma.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-18, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
cryosin
Master Sergeant

Big Concern: Hackers

After playing Blacklight: Retribution, i am deeply concerned about hackers.

That game uses punkbuster, the same anti-cheat system that planetside uses.

I was in a server where at least 3 people where blatantly hacking. Others might have been too, but these guys where completely obvious.

Speed hacks, instant headshots across the map(with a full auto rifle), teleportation.

One guy was literally invisible to other players.

I mean it was bad, real bad.

Punkbuster has never been a powerful tool. Even valve had to create their own anti-cheat because punk buster did not suffice.

With the ability to just register and create a new account, i am deeply concerned that hackers will run rampant and ruin the experience.
Old 2012-04-18, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
HellsPanda
Corporal

Re: Big Concern: Hackers

As has been stated before Punkbuster is just one of a plethora of anti cheating tools SOE will be using, that and anyone caught cheating can get all their accounts deleted [With all the stuff they have earned, or paid for]
Old 2012-04-18, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Another problem is that PS2 will be F2P, so any hackers that have their accounts terminated will just make another account. SOE could always ban IP addresses, but that's hurting business and doesn't work on dynamic IPs. Consistent updates and constant vigilance will be the only way
Old 2012-04-18, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info

I don't see the point in discussing that. No matter how many anti-cheat obstacles will be used, there will always, always be cheaters who will manage to get around them.
Old 2012-04-18, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ringring
Contributor
General

Yes, it is a big concern and it has been raised by this community several times.

All I cab say is to repeat what SoE say, that they more than anyone know the disruption the hacker can cause; they will use punkbuster as only one of their tools and they fully understand the disruption that hackers can cause.
Old 2012-04-18, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
PredatorFour
Major

Im concerned with legit players getting banned in the fracas which will happen with the hackers. There was times people would say i hacked on PS, cos they got lag killed and other people i knew got accusations thrown at them too. There`s gotta be a robust /report system and active devs to insta ban the hackers on every server.
I wonder if they want to employ any people to regulate the servers and ban hackers ??? hmmm
Old 2012-04-18, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Kran De Loy
Captain

This is a topic that has be gone over a number of times. Malorn (I think it was him) made a point that there are two types of hackers, those that use in your face blatant bullshit methods and those that use very subtle ones.

The blatant m**********rs will get spotted, reported and hopefully banned quickly. These people will show up no matter what you do because they're a bunch of gelatinous puddles of knob snot that get their willys excited when pissing people off. There are methods to permanently get rid of them but most of those are outlawed in civilized society.

The subtle ones only slightly enhance their normal skill with computer aids that make each and every one of them top end competitive players, but nothing more.

The more problematic group is the second one as they skew the bell curve of the skill needed to compete in the game and no one can tell for sure who is just damned good and who has AIDS.
Old 2012-04-18, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Some prior and future discussion on this topic..

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-18, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Hackers are a concern I agree but I believe SOE will do their best to keep them away. Period. Also most hacking stories I know are anecdotal and have rarely faced real hackers myself. Nevertheless I have heard many players shouting hacker at each other and also I myself sometimes felt that someone was just a little bit too good. I was also once accused of cheating, and I'm really not that good to earn this kind of accusation to be honest. So back to my point - cheating is a problem, but it's usually blown out of proportions with cases of false accusation. So like in that story where boy cried wolf constantly I have grown deaf to most hacking accusations where there's no hard evidence (video) to back it up ...
Old 2012-04-18, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
SOE could always ban IP addresses
Bad idea. People with dynamic IPs could potentially be assigned to an IP that was banned.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
Bad idea. People with dynamic IPs could potentially be assigned to an IP that was banned.
Read the last half of that sentence
Old 2012-04-18, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
psychobilly
Corporal

If you require existing players to have a valid credit card, you can ban off the credit data when someone is caught. It won't stop hacking, but will limit repeat offenders.

If they allow you to put in fake information and go, hacking will be rampant.
Old 2012-04-18, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
CTheRain
Corporal

Do what Nexon does with the Korean versions of their games. Require you to call in or give them a valid SSN. That would halt hacking period.
Old 2012-04-18, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
cryosin
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by CTheRain View Post
Do what Nexon does with the Korean versions of their games. Require you to call in or give them a valid SSN. That would halt hacking period.
Although I actually like this idea, there are two problems i can foresee with it:

1) Not everyone is willing to give their SSN to sony. I personally wouldn't care, but i know numerous people who would never do it.

2) How would this work for people outside of the US? They would call in and give what information?
Old 2012-04-18, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Some prior and future discussion on this topic..

Daft Punk - Around The World - YouTube
That song is epic win, but so are all Daft Punk songs.

Hackers - it will happen, its just a question of how fast can the anti-cheat programs respond so it doesn't inconvenience many people.

While I personally haven't been kicked by Punbuster, there are legit concerns that it sometimes kicks normal players. Despite all your efforts, people will find ways to hack, especially since account banning wont affect them as much - its F2P after all. All you can do is hope that it's something along the lines - shows all enemies and not "auto kill" everything in sight - seen hackers in BF3 that don't even shoot their gun, but just sit in a corner and everyone dies.

However I do have faith that PS2 will have decent protection.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion