So every HA can be an aircraft counter? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Me no function PSU well without.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-18, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

So every HA can be an aircraft counter?

Ok, go to this video if you haven't already.(Gameplay at about 2:24)

What did you notice when TB switched to a HA and pulled out his anti vehicle fart launcher(I don't really care what you call it)?

Lock on.

My problems with lock on?
1)
Originally Posted by AgtPanda View Post
TL;DR Insta win lock on missiles suck. Dodgeable missiles are fine.
2) If there are two variants for AA/AT and not bundled into one, I'm fine.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by ThermalReaper; 2012-07-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: So every HA can be an aircraft counter?

Funny, I hear aircraft can include a perfect missile countermeasure.
Old 2012-07-18, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Funny, I hear aircraft can include a perfect missile countermeasure.
You just reminded me, Should moving around a lot and speeding away break the missile lock in your opinion?
Old 2012-07-18, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
You just reminded me, Should moving around a lot and speeding away break the missile lock in your opinion?
I believe getting inside the missile's ability to exert delta-v and exiting its seeker gimbal range should break a missile lock. As missiles are generally 2-5 times faster than the aircraft they are designed to engage, speeding away from a missile should produce a perfect tail hit every time.

But that's just me.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
JHendy
First Sergeant

I believe getting inside the missile's ability to exert delta-v and exiting its seeker gimbal range...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HRR_EPVew#t=0m38s

??
Old 2012-07-18, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm pretty sure it does. Check the E3 videos, I remember seeing a Scythe break the lock by afterburning in the skies.

I believe getting inside the missile's ability to exert delta-v and exiting its seeker gimbal range should break a missile lock. As missiles are generally 2-5 times faster than the aircraft they are designed to engage, speeding away from a missile should produce a perfect tail hit every time.

But that's just me.
That sounds cool.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-07-18 at 10:01 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Klockan
First Sergeant

I didn't understand what you were ranting about, is it too easy to get away from lock ons making aircraft too powerful or is it too hard making HA too powerful?
Old 2012-07-18, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Klockan View Post
I didn't understand what you were ranting about, is it too easy to get away from lock ons making aircraft too powerful or is it too hard making HA too powerful?
My problem is that the possiblity of taking down a vehicle being reduced to "Lock, fire, kill, repeat" most of the time(you still have the option of dumbfire) which is just plain stupid and not fun.

Originally Posted by haticK View Post
We can't really answer that considering most of us haven't played the game yet
I said discuss, not answer a question. Hehe.

Also, to the flair argument:

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
Also since vehicles will have limited ammo for their weapons and Higby was talking about limiting the number of Flares an aircraft can carry instead of just putting them on a cooldown
I doubt you would have enough flairs to avoid every missile. Unless missiles aren't an instant kill to aircrafts.(It took 3-4 AT shots to take out a vanguard according to the video)

Last edited by ThermalReaper; 2012-07-18 at 09:58 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
infinite loop
First Sergeant

My problem is that the possiblity of taking down a vehicle being reduced to "Lock, fire, kill, repeat" most of the time(you still have the option of dumbfire) which is just plain stupid and not fun.

I said discuss, not answer a question. Hehe.

Also, to the flair argument:

I doubt you would have enough flairs to avoid every missile. Unless missiles aren't an instant kill to aircrafts.(It took 3-4 AT shots to take out a vanguard according to the video)
You obviously have either never played PS1, or have a short memory. The bane of every pilot is the fucking lockon AA. I am not a fan, but the precedent is set, so I expected it. TBH I'm not sure what a better counter to aircraft would be, w/o the lockon weaponry nothing would stand a chance against them.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Klockan
First Sergeant

But there are other weapons as well. Also to fire lock on missiles you need to be skilled. Not by aiming correctly but by locking and firing at the correct times so the missile don't hit a building or a rock, otherwise you will just be wasting missiles kinda like those shooting at TB did. Also I think that those missiles were anti tank missiles so their lock shouldn't be that good vs air.

Originally Posted by infinite loop View Post
TBH I'm not sure what a better counter to aircraft would be, w/o the lockon weaponry nothing would stand a chance against them.
What? Just have AA machineguns that rip them to shreds, we already got them on all basic tanks. Infantry with flak works as well.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-18 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
infinite loop
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Klockan View Post
What? Just have AA machineguns that rip them to shreds, we already got them on all basic tanks. Infantry with flak works as well.
Sorry, yeah was talking about infantry based AA specifically. I don't know that flak would be all that useful because you'd have to maintain LOS to the aircraft, exposing yourself. Unless the flak is insanely powerful I don't see it being effective vs half-decent pilots. Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing something like that instead of lockon AA, but in general aircraft rape infantry as it is.
Old 2012-07-18, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by infinite loop View Post
Sorry, yeah was talking about infantry based AA specifically. I don't know that flak would be all that useful because you'd have to maintain LOS to the aircraft, exposing yourself. Unless the flak is insanely powerful I don't see it being effective vs half-decent pilots. Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing something like that instead of lockon AA, but in general aircraft rape infantry as it is.
Dealing a bit of damage with flak is way better than dealing no damage with breaking locks.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
haticK
First Sergeant

Higby said in one of the interviews that you actually have a bunch of flares and one flare only provides a chance that the missle/rocket will miss so the idea is to spam a few of them.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't think it will be an issue - as others have said you will be able to break missile lock even once it is fired as you can in other games. Some of the HA launchers will be AA and other AV, so I imagine the AV ones will fly slower but hit harder.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Accuser
Sergeant Major

I think you'll have enough Flairs. You'll probably have plenty of flares too.

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
I shat myself. Hopefully one can cert up to carry HA+AV.
Of course not. Heavy Assault chooses to take either MCG/Lasher/Noobhammer or a weaker anti-infantry weapon with a rocket launcher. It's a similar choice to Infiltrators who take either the best cloaking device or a sniper rifle.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion