FPS still terrible. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: There is no spork
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-03-16, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
PredatorFour
Major

Re: FPS still terrible.

Today is now completely unplayable seemed to get worse and worse, the stuttering on esamir was nuts so i went to indar and amer and its the same. Go from 60 fps average down to 20/15 just fluctuates like crazy. There was a system broadcast but it didn't say anything. Just showed 'System messege;' .. and nothing. So they must be trying to fix it .

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-03-16 at 10:16 AM.
Old 2013-03-16, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rolfski
Major

Double XP + Miller + Indar + prime time = fps kill atm
Old 2013-03-16, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
zulu
Corporal

Things seemed to improve a bit last night on Matherson after the server population decreased, but it's just as bad (if not worse) today. FPS is awful, attempting to repair vehicles, turrets, or MAXes is frequently impossible, and ammo packs simply don't work unless you stand next to them for about thirty seconds.

Vehicle play is basically impossible right now, as are fights that aren't within ten meters. So that leaves fights within the interiors of bases, which isn't exactly what Planetside 2 is being sold as.

Perhaps SOE should have decided to hold off on the double xp thing until after they had fixed all of the FPS and lag issues from this last patch. That they seem more interested in promoting the game in a dumb "pro-gaming" thing rather than fixing the problems their customers are having is pretty vexing.
Old 2013-03-16, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by zulu View Post
Things seemed to improve a bit last night on Matherson after the server population decreased, but it's just as bad (if not worse) today. FPS is awful, attempting to repair vehicles, turrets, or MAXes is frequently impossible, and ammo packs simply don't work unless you stand next to them for about thirty seconds.

Vehicle play is basically impossible right now, as are fights that aren't within ten meters. So that leaves fights within the interiors of bases, which isn't exactly what Planetside 2 is being sold as.

Perhaps SOE should have decided to hold off on the double xp thing until after they had fixed all of the FPS and lag issues from this last patch. That they seem more interested in promoting the game in a dumb "pro-gaming" thing rather than fixing the problems their customers are having is pretty vexing.
I'm not sure they intend to fix the FPS. It's clearly not a priority for them. That's why all we hear about is new rocket launchers and cross bows! Screw making the game playable! Gameplay is extremely important, most of us would play a game that plays great over a game that looks great. Sure we prefer both, but without good gameplay then the graphics don't mean anything. These FPS issues have ruined the gameplay for a majority of us, I think. I wish the PS2 dev team and SoE CEO would realize this and seriously make an effort at making the performance better.
If ya'll remember on release they mentioned that the big optimization patch was supposed to be in January. They said it took a lot of work to do the optimization but it was priority and it would be coming out in January. Then it was pushed to the beginning of February. The notes didn't really mention anything notable and the only people who even mentioned seeing an increase in FPS were a handful on twitter trying to butter up the dev's. I've seen nothing but a decrease since release, every single patch, including that one.

The lag this weekend is server side as well, not the FPS that I think most of us are talking about. That's just a population issue and really puts an exclamation on the reason these continents are capped at 2000 people, they can barely hold that many. The past 24 hours on Waterson/Indar you haven't been able to repair/ammo etc. The good news is that Esamir and Amerish are better. The bad news is my FPS is worse on Amerish/Esamir than it is on Indar for whatever reason.
I know one thing though, the Nanite Repair Systems are invaluable when this server side lag exists!

Last edited by Assist; 2013-03-16 at 02:54 PM.
Old 2013-03-16, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I'm not sure they intend to fix the FPS. It's clearly not a priority for them.
I'm not sure if it's priority or what. I'm more afraid that their policy of "free some fps to add more stuff" is the thing that destroys the game. Why would a developer waste all the optimization just to get more stuff in when the fans want to see the performance up before anything? They can't make any money if nobody can play. And there is more than enough to make money for a while, so now would be the time to really work on performance.

Some developer did twitter today about fps. They're working on it but don't know what's causing it or something. So I guess we see the fix next week. Hopefully it works.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-16, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Snydenthur View Post
I'm not sure if it's priority or what. I'm more afraid that their policy of "free some fps to add more stuff" is the thing that destroys the game. Why would a developer waste all the optimization just to get more stuff in when the fans want to see the performance up before anything? They can't make any money if nobody can play. And there is more than enough to make money for a while, so now would be the time to really work on performance.

Some developer did twitter today about fps. They're working on it but don't know what's causing it or something. So I guess we see the fix next week. Hopefully it works.
The association between FPS and "stuff" does not exist. These are extremely technical issues which we've had folks working on all weekend. You can bet it's a priority.
Old 2013-03-16, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
The association between FPS and "stuff" does not exist. These are extremely technical issues which we've had folks working on all weekend. You can bet it's a priority.
I just had to logout because of 7 fps spikes consistently when fighting just outside the Esamir warpgate. It's still unplayable for some of us.
Old 2013-03-16, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hamma
PSU Admin

They know guys - just because more "stuff" is coming out and Marketing is happening doesn't mean there aren't devs pulling long ass hours to try and get this stuff fixed.

I was talking to CodeForge about it today - they are working hard on it.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-16, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
They know guys - just because more "stuff" is coming out and Marketing is happening doesn't mean there aren't devs pulling long ass hours to try and get this stuff fixed.

I hope so! The problem is we see tweets telling us that they 'fixed these issues'... but they haven't. Should stop telling us that it is fixed when it's not!

Also, it seems like they lowered the render distance back to what it was before the changes. Didn't change my performance at all. If they didn't, then something else is really going on because the infantry draw distance at Mani is awful right now.

Most of us understand there's a difference between the guys who add weapons and those who work on performance. The problem is we're only seeing the new additions to the game and not seeing any of the performance increases. It's one thing to tell us it's being worked on, it's a priority, it's 'coming'. It's another to actually get it done. Like I said before, we've been hearing about optimization since before the game released and that there was this magical massive patch coming that could fix the performance of the game. So massive that it could require us to download a new client. The problem is it never appeared and since then we've seen nothing to prove they're working on these issues.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-03-16 at 08:30 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-16, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

I just had to logout because of 7 fps spikes consistently when fighting just outside the Esamir warpgate. It's still unplayable for some of us.
Unfortunately it's not affecting everyone (we have 18 PCs here at MLG playing on Waterson) which I realize is little comfort to you, but we have folks on it.
Old 2013-03-16, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Mordelicius
Major

Completely unplayable once it hits a threshhold. Once it start lagging ( when there are a large number of vehicles).

- Minimap information would lag, until you toggle the screen.
- Ammo won't pick-up from the ground. unless you toggle weapons.
- Animation would stutter from switching weapons to going through tunnels.
- Game can't tell if vehicle is destroyed or repaired. Once it figures it out, then it would randomly just blow. The HP from the vehicle would go full green, to 1/3, then to full red, then back up to 3/4 then back to red, flunctuating back and forth until you know it will eventually blow no matter how many engineers are there. The funny thing is we don't even know who's attacking it :lol Even our xp from repairing is not only delayed, the number also fluctuates from like 11xp to 35xp.

Funny thing is I've never seen type of lag/malfunction on even a large Biolab fight.

Hoping the 3rd hotfix will remedy all this.
Old 2013-03-16, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Chewy
Major

I hope so! The problem is we see tweets telling us that they 'fixed these issues'... but they haven't. Should stop telling us that it is fixed when it's not!

Also, it seems like they lowered the render distance back to what it was before the changes. Didn't change my performance at all. If they didn't, then something else is really going on because the infantry draw distance at Mani is awful right now.

Most of us understand there's a difference between the guys who add weapons and those who work on performance. The problem is we're only seeing the new additions to the game and not seeing any of the performance increases. It's one thing to tell us it's being worked on, it's a priority, it's 'coming'. It's another to actually get it done. Like I said before, we've been hearing about optimization since before the game released and that there was this magical massive patch coming that could fix the performance of the game. So massive that it could require us to download a new client. The problem is it never appeared and since then we've seen nothing to prove they're working on these issues.
You do know that a single line of code out of MILLIONS and more can cause things like FPS drops or flat out crash games so hard that they can damage themselves or the systems. And that the lines of codes that works perfectly can be cause of another better line of code failing without showing it at all. It can take a complete reading of every single code just to look for one miss typed letter/number in a mass of jibberish. There are reasons that MMOFPSs don't exist minus a few examples. They are hard as hell to make and keep running when you are changing just about everything inside them for the better.

I for one have seen better optimization since Beta. Although there have been hiccups at times the game has gotten better, a lot better. Take this time to get other things done. Missing out of the 2x Xp isn't going to kill you. A BR 90 should have everything you could want by now, so what do you need the farm for?

Last edited by Chewy; 2013-03-16 at 09:17 PM.
Old 2013-03-16, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Missing out of the 2x Xp isn't going to kill you. A BR 90 should have everything you could want by now, so what do you need the farm for?
I play when I have free time. I hit 88 almost 2 months ago. I've not gained much recently, this is the first weekend in a while where I've had time to play. I'm not complaining about this specific weekend either, my performance has not increased since release.
Old 2013-03-16, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I dunno, i allways take bugs and glitches like fps issues or spastic models lightly, that shit is bound to happen so i just shrug it off mostly.

Design choices on the other hand...like for example "instant death/life roulette action"...but that'd be another thread.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2013-03-16 at 09:49 PM.
Old 2013-03-16, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post

Did they chain those poor poor coders to the desks again?

Aww. :/
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion