YouTube and Planetside - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Boy I hope this quote gets approved.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-03-27, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

YouTube and Planetside

Hey, I'm thinking about starting a YouTube channel centered around Planetside 2, Battlefield, and Titanfall. I'm not looking for monetization, just to be more involved in the gaming community. Any tips from the youtubers out there? I'm looking at Fraps for recording and Adobe Premier for editing. I have a good mic and a beast rig (4770k at 4.5 with SLI 780s) and would be going for 1080p. I would probably do bi-weekly updates.

Still a maybe but I've been giving it some thought. Also, any topics from PS2 that people would be interested in seeing covered? (Map breakdowns, weapon reviews?)
Old 2014-03-27, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: YouTube and Planetside

You could try hitting up some of the popular PS2 youtubers, on twitter or message their youtube account.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2014-03-27, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

I am. I also just want a feel for what the community might like that perhaps other aren't covering. For instance, base and map breakdowns an reviews are pretty uncommon.
Old 2014-03-27, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Chewy
Major

I have FRAPS, and it is a hog. That one programs hunger is the main reason I ditched it for DXtory. FRAPS still has its uses I just find DXtory to be much better in 95+% of the cases I am recording gameplay.

If you can handle the hit FRAPS does to you it works wonders for it being simple, pre-cut up files, and not having to mess with anything detailed on the recording end. All audio is made into a single channel so that is easy as well. But FRAPS gives little control over what it records past everything at once. Having little control in the recording also limits your control in the editing.

DXtory though, once setup properly, has VERY little impact on anything with adding damn near full control. Not kidding, I loose at most 5-10 FPS when running DXtory in any game I record. Down side is that you NEED to setup DXtory right or it isn't going to be worth a damn. I play PS2 in 1080, but have to record in 720 due to my system tanking beyond that from either a bad setup or a sub-par HDD write speed. (think it's just the HDD, it isn't worth looking into though as 720 is great as is for YT)

My vote is for DXtory. $30-$35 and you get it for life last I looked and has a free trial like most recording programs. If you want, PM me and I can walk you into setting it up and even how to split audio channels for free (true free) that gives you up to 3 channels. I have one for game sounds, one for Teamspeak, and the last for my mic. That lets me adjust their levels and even remove them as needed without needing anything but DXtory.

If you need me. Shoot me a PM and I can send you my Steam ID so that we can talk in its chat. Or maybe Skype, but I only have it for a very rare need and am not to good with it.
Old 2014-03-27, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Thanks! I'm not moving on this immediately, but I'll most assuredly keep that in mind.
Old 2014-03-28, 05:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Snoopy
Sergeant

Would also recommend DXtory over Fraps. Here's a good guide for recording PS2 with DXtory on the official forums.
Old 2014-03-28, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
Hey, I'm thinking about starting a YouTube channel centered around Planetside 2, Battlefield, and Titanfall. I'm not looking for monetization, just to be more involved in the gaming community. Any tips from the youtubers out there? I'm looking at Fraps for recording and Adobe Premier for editing. I have a good mic and a beast rig (4770k at 4.5 with SLI 780s) and would be going for 1080p. I would probably do bi-weekly updates.

Still a maybe but I've been giving it some thought. Also, any topics from PS2 that people would be interested in seeing covered? (Map breakdowns, weapon reviews?)
If you don't intend on doing advanced editing, I'd recommend using Sony Vegas instead of Adobe, as Vegas is much easier to master.

Also, find one good Photoshop painter, one fella to co-edit with you and decide on what you want to include in your channel: funny stuff, serious stuff, news, machinima, advertisments, live streams and e-sport (a big hmmm here) broadcasts. Aye, and find a sponsor Advertising on YouTube is not cheap, but it's not really that expensive either.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2014-03-28 at 02:12 PM.
Old 2014-03-28, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
If you don't intend on doing advanced editing, I'd recommend using Sony Vegas instead of Adobe, as Vegas is much easier to master.

Also, find one good Photoshop painter, one fella to co-edit with you and decide on what you want to include in your channel: funny stuff, serious stuff, news, machinima, advertisments, live streams and e-sport (a big hmmm here) broadcasts. Aye, and find a sponsor Advertising on YouTube is not cheap, but it's not really that expensive either.
Or go the cheap way and don't bother with buying an editing program. I can't afford an editor and just use Windows Movie Maker that I got for free. It is shit no doubt and can't do anything more than cut/paste and I need to do detailed stuff in recording plus planning, but it does its job and lets me make something watchable if I have the raw footage.

It takes a LOT to get a YT channel running with quality if you don't have something going for you. Even then it can take a LONG time to get somewhere with it. I had plans for getting one running, but gave up from not having an editor and thinking I am not the right person for such a thing in voice and gaming skill.
Old 2014-03-28, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Azzzz
Corporal

I'm curious as to why you are suddenly interested in making a youtube channel, especially one for PS2 considering you are a BF manwhore and bash PS2 every chance you get

Spill the beans man...
Old 2014-03-30, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Azzzz View Post
I'm curious as to why you are suddenly interested in making a youtube channel, especially one for PS2 considering you are a BF manwhore and bash PS2 every chance you get

Spill the beans man...
Well it would be PS2, BF, and Titanfall. Besides, you could do some recordings for it. Besides, you should be nice to me for doing that fucking report for you you lazy ass! lol

I'd also like to note that though I think BF has better game mechanics, I still believe in the idea that is Planetside. PS2 is non-the-less a great game.

Last edited by Dougnifico; 2014-03-30 at 06:32 PM.
Old 2014-03-31, 08:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Falcon_br
Captain

I have two outfit members that record using playclaw.
They say it have no performance impact and you can get it on steam.
Of course it is impossible to have no impact, but it must be small.
I use the game build in video recorder and the impact is also low, the only problem is encoding after the recording, but it is ok and free.

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2014-03-31, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

I think it goes without saying that a Triple A title has better game mechanics than PS2. Even still it's the community that makes PS2 a more enjoyable game for me. Just about every FPS community is rather unwelcoming from what I've experienced in the past. I've only gotten that feeling from 2 or 3 posters here on PSU otherwise everyone else is pretty rad.

As far as content for your videos go with other good PS2 content creators around I would imagine you'd have to find your own niche besides weapon reviews. Map breakdowns might be interesting. Where the choke points on continents/bases are; general gameplay strategy for drawing people to you instead of going to their kill box, etc.
Old 2014-03-31, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by Falcon_br View Post
I have two outfit members that record using playclaw.
They say it have no performance impact and you can get it on steam.
Of course it is impossible to have no impact, but it must be small.
I use the game build in video recorder and the impact is also low, the only problem is encoding after the recording, but it is ok and free.
I see the in game recorder as trash. It has no video quality to it even if you crank it as high as you can. As a free starting point, maybe it can be good. But it has to be the first thing to be dumped if you want any quality.

Finished videos only look meh while in a small window and look garbage in fullscreen. I can only maybe read any text when someone uses the in game recorder and that is a deal breaker most of the time when you need to see detailed stuff like text or smaller things such as a far target or just the mini-map. Never mind being able to see cloakers in a low quality video, they are hard to see as is if the guy is good.

If you want to make quality stuff, you need the right tools. A recorder of choice, a good mic, a 2nd fast writing HDD dedicated to pure recording, and an editor of choice.

The recorder is anything you want but it has to be able to get at least over 480 footage. 720 I find is a good place to shoot for, 1080 is overkill but great if able. And the editor is up to what you want out of one. Some need to do fancy stuff and need a good editor, some only need to stitch clips together. It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

But the mic and HDD is not an option, they are a must. A good mic is a must from your voice being the thing people hear the most. If it sounds bad then your video will sound bad. The dedicated HDD is a must from all recorders needing to write a lot of information while the game is read a chunk of information at the same time. If you read and write from the same HDD then it will bog down to the point of being useless. A HDD can only do one thing at a time and if you tell it to do more than one thing it will stress the fuck out of it. Any HDD of 500GB or more with a write speed of over 100MB can do, but the more write speed the better quality you can record at without stress or performance loss. Going with more than 500GB of space only lets you record more without having to stop for a file dump. My 1TB holds anywhere around 30+ hours. Likely a lot more, I never get close to filling it to see.
Old 2014-03-31, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

I have multiple drives and I'll be getting another 2TB drive for recordings. I really like the Seagate SSHD's (HDD with SSD cache). They've been working great. I have a good Corsair mic but if I'm not happy I'd upgrade to a Blue Snowball. Right now, I'm looking at Adobe Premier and Playclaw. I also have a friend that does extensive video editing that I'll commission for a good intro.

Right now, I'm looking at map breakdowns, weapons reviews (for anchoring with something already done), as well as maybe some other shenanigans. One of them is a side of my friends and I playing WoW and playing a drinking game where they drink when I die (I suck big time at WoW. lol). I also have some twists on the old formulas I've been thinking of. I'm not going for money or anything, just for more community involvement.

Last edited by Dougnifico; 2014-03-31 at 10:40 PM.
Old 2014-04-01, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Azzzz
Corporal

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
Well it would be PS2, BF, and Titanfall. Besides, you could do some recordings for it. Besides, you should be nice to me for doing that fucking report for you you lazy ass! lol

I'd also like to note that though I think BF has better game mechanics, I still believe in the idea that is Planetside. PS2 is non-the-less a great game.
Low blow man, low blow. Besides, your report sucked anyways. Had to reedit the damn thing anyways. Your welcome for making it more awesomer.

Also...boo BF.

Win.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion