PSU: I like sex do you like sex?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2003-02-17, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

My problem is my motherboard its hooped so Im buyin a new one with a new processor and ram cause thats all i need and then Ill max it out when I get more cash
Old 2003-02-17, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Subliminal
First Sergeant

I havent found anything saying doom will require more then 1ghz. I may or may not have the leaked demo and it may or may not run very well with my 1800+
Old 2003-02-17, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

well the leaked" pre alpha build" was in no way optimized because it wasnt a demo , but I wanna make sure I can run it full tilt with eveything maxed out so I squeeze evey last bit of goodness out of it
Old 2003-02-17, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Zatrais
Edit: show me a test where AMD has annything that beats the P4 3.06 GHZ please, i havn't found a single test or review that supports AMD beating it.
I think I've thrown the mag away already, so I can't pull you numbers, but it was Computer Games Magazine that compared the two in it's Feb issue.

They didn't do an apples to apples test like you might want though. They took an AMD 2800+ in a really damn good board and a p4 3.06 in a really damn good intel board and compared the two. I'm not even sure if they used the same kind of memory or not, but I'm thinking not. I think they just put together two really good machines like someone might buy together and compared the two. The other stuff was all the same I think though (hard drive, case, graphics card, sound card, etc).

Basically, in the gaming tests, the AMD either beat or was very very close to the p4 in every category.

Don't get me wrong though, in other tests, such as digital video processing and things, the p4 blew it away because of the hyperthreading the p4 has starting with the 3.06 chip.

It all boiled down to that for overall performance the p4 won. But for just gaming stuff, the amd was at least as good, if not better, and it was about $400 cheaper at the time of their tests.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-17, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

my amd 2700+ pwns all.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-02-17, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

what exact processor do you have nav
Old 2003-02-18, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

I believe the AMD Athlon XP 2700 is the processor he has
Old 2003-02-18, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The price difference between P4's and AMD's has shrinked alott lately, just did a quick check on my local suppliers website and the average difference was $20 here... I don't think price is such a huge reason to go AMD annymore.

Just that there are so manny people out there who are AMD for lyfe, P4 suxxz0rs when infact Intel has the lead atm for pretty close to the same price.

I just want the Hammerchipsets to come out... AMD will be back in buisness then and it'll have a condentender to intels 200Mhz FBS chips thats comming out soon. actual speed will be 800mhz thanks to the quad technology that intel uses...

Should be an interesting time for CPU's in the next months =)

btw, HT is also comming for more and more games, making the pentiums even better.
Old 2003-02-18, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

Originally posted by Zatrais
*shrug* your call..

be sure to get a hell of a cooling fan and a nice big 400w+ Power supply.
I just got a tbred and it's MUCH cooler than my palomino was... tbreds are not THAT hot. The other thing is that while amds generate more heat than intels, they are designed to! the temperature diode is also located IN the cpu, not under it, so the readings appear to be much hotter. sure you'll see higher temps in windows or bios, but it's all relative to the CPU itself, you can't bash amd for it.
Old 2003-02-18, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

...Visit {BOHICA}...

Old 2003-02-18, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm not bashing AMD.... AMD's get hotter than pentiums and requires more cooling. colder the better ya know.

edit: if you have some CPU's to waste, run a AMD and a pentium chip whitout a cooling fan and see who melts first.... hehe, AMD one will go down first, tho AMD has gotten a hell of alott better whit the temp of their chips but they still run at higher temps than pentiums and need a good fan for cooling.

Last edited by Zatrais; 2003-02-18 at 08:11 AM.
Old 2003-02-18, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Intel for life. The chipsets that go along with AMDs are incompatable with just too much hardware.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-18, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

really lexington? I have never once had a problem using AMD chipsets EVER. (Granted I started using AMD after my PIII got to old, but arn't we talking about the new ones anyways?)

the new AMD chips have the 333mhz FSB and the price difference is not $20, its more like $35
Old 2003-02-18, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

New and new, the AMDs still use the socket a... 5 year old technology for their newest chipsets, the bartons.. P4 chips are 400mh or 533mhz FSB whit the next ones at 800mhz.

As for price difference, depends on supplier apperantly... at the online store where i buy the difference was an average of $20.
Old 2003-02-18, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

We do all realize that I was talking about the price difference between the 2800 and the 3.06, right??

Pricewatch has the 2800 at $380 and the 3.06 at $610

...Visit {BOHICA}...

Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum