Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2 - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where you can pick your friends AND their noses!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-16, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Traak
Colonel

Re: Tank drivers acting as gunners in PS2

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
No
LOL

Yes. Instead of rewarding lazy and selfish people who want to gun but not drive, reward people who get certs with the primary fun thing to do with that cert.

How about we make HA so that if you cert it, you can ONLY feed ammo to someone, namely anyone from BR 0 on up who is NOT HA certed so they can do all the HA gunning while you man the ammo can?

That's a similar effect of getting a Skyguard or MBT cert in PS. You get to be the chauffeur for some selfish dork who gets to have all the fun. Nah.

No. PS 2 should reward teamwork, AND reward those who acquire a cert with the most fun thing to do with that cert. Some may argue that they REALLY love driving. GREAT! You can get a driver's cert, maybe let someone else get a commander's or gunner's cert, and drive all you want.

But to "reward" someone for getting the armored certs for a tank by FORCING him into the driver's seat is not productive. I don't think tank driver should be able to gun, because that produces Magriders that are a one-man hovering BFR, but I don't think anyone should be able to gun a tank that doesn't have the certs to command and drive one.

Driver/commanders can internally switch positions to gun or drive, without having to get out and get knifed by a cloaker. Without the long deployment delay and obvious graphic of the flail.

Reward cert holders with most fun thing to do with that cert. Forcing heavy armor cert holders to be the chauffeur is no better than forcing the owners of HA certs to be ammo-feeders for anyone else who doesn't have the HA cert, but can fire the HA weapon.

And, please, don't be so dismissive with a one-word "rebuttal". Please elaborate.

Last edited by Traak; 2011-09-16 at 01:32 PM.
Old 2011-09-16, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
LOL

Yes.
No
Old 2011-09-16, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
SgtMAD
Captain

this is a huge mistake,we liked PS because it was a game that pushed teamwork,ppl hated the one man army concept and so now we are getting tanks that let the driver gun.

are we getting too much BF influence here now?

we don't want a clone or even a game that just steals ideas from other games, we want you to steal the idea of PS and execute the concept correctly this time.

we don't want a game that is like "XXXX",we want a game like PlanetSide
Old 2011-09-16, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
One of the biggest unlock lines for mbt's are secondary weapon unlocks. You'll be able to switch out a variety of weapons up there that add a ton to your tank's situational viability. These will rival the power of the main guns depending on the vehicle and situation and will be a lot of fun to use. Imagine putting a mortar cannon on top of your vanguard, now you can sit behind cover and shell an area; or, add an AA Flak cannon for defending against reavers. There will be a lot of variation here and having a good secondary gunner will always be a major benefit.
You get it. I was afraid no one would understand this kind of gameplay.

Separating the skilled players from the beginners. This should be interesting for people that found the lightning difficult to use in PS1.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-09-16 at 01:29 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-16, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
This.

Higby, I have three questions for you, if I may:

1) Will tanks' survivability be scaled down to that of BFBC2, where 2-3 well-placed handheld AV shots were enough to blow a tank up? I played engineer and got most of my kicks from merciless tank-busting, so I know what I'm talking about.

2) When making this decision, did you factor in the common, ridiculous scenario from BFBC2, where the gunner/driver unleashes hell, while his secondary gunner/engineer continuously repairs him? Depending on the speed of the repair, and the amount of fire being taken, this gives the tank something like double or triple effective HP.
In PS1, this "tactic" would have required at least 3 people, which is a bit more fair.

3) Have you considered letting the driver use only the secondary gun? This would be especially fair considering that (as far as I understand) all (or most) of the unlocks for an MBT are for the secondary gun. This gives the guy who spent time certing the MBT+unlocks full use of what he invested time in, while requiring a second person for the second gun.
1) I love AV in BFBC2 also, but I always do with a Assault + Lightweight kit + C4. C4ing tanks in that game is the most fun thing imo. It's CURRENTLY not quite as easy to take a tank down, but well placed shots definitely count, and concentrating fire is very possible with our AV classes.

2) Yes.

3) It wouldn't work very well for the magrider, but allowing the driver to man the secondary weapon seems like it could be worth trying. We can consider that and see how it plays.
Old 2011-09-16, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Traak
Colonel

How about making it so the gun is locked to straight forward and level when the driver is driving and gunning, whether secondary or primary?
Old 2011-09-16, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
SgtMAD
Captain

How about making it so the gun is locked to straight forward and level when the driver is driving and gunning, whether secondary or primary?
yea lets make it easier for the driver to aim
Old 2011-09-16, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
yea lets make it easier for the driver to aim
Not the idea. I meant instead of having it able to elevate like the MagBFRider. So there is definite profit in having a gunner, instead of having one-man rolling MAX suits/BFRs with uber armor and guns.
Old 2011-09-16, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Sirisian
Colonel

How does that work? Only the Magrider can rotate freely. The other tanks will probably have tighter turning radii. That can't possibly work.

Speaking of small changes. Since I already said I like driving and gunning how about making it so that the driver can right click and release control of the main gun to the gunner. The gunner could then right click and switch between the main cannon and secondary weapons. At no point can the driver access the secondary cannons, but if they prefer they can give up control of the main cannon. (If the driver right clicks when the gunner has control they'll take over the main cannon again).
Old 2011-09-16, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
How does that work?
With the more realistic physics, it would be difficult, while in motion, to get a proper elevation for a hit, because I believe, based on what they are saying about the physics, that the vehicle would be bobbing more. AND, weaving more, as I said, IF the physics really do mimic running over real terrain more.

I guess we will see.

I just don't want to see tanks that are so powerful with only one person. But I also don't want to see being punished for having the tank cert by being relegated to being a driver.
Old 2011-09-16, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Raymac
Brigadier General

The more I think about it, the more I love this idea.

Also, I'm not worrying about balance at all at this point. The devs obviously have balance in mind, and the balance details will get ironed out in beta.

Old 2011-09-16, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Logit
Second Lieutenant

2 Shotting tanks? Is that what I'm getting out of this?
Old 2011-09-16, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
wildcat140679
Sergeant

I'm somewhat shocked to hear the driver will have control over the main gun.

Like most pointed out already, PS1 was one of those few games where you needed an extra person to effectively operate a tank.

I've had many hours of fun with a Lightning, but no matter how good I was, my skills could never match a driver/gunner setup.

I really hope there will be an option that allows the Player (the driver) to choose for him self to give up the control over the main gun to have a dedicated gunner. And even then, I'm not all that eager to have control over the secondary gun. My driving skills are only good when I'm facing forward, meaning I can only cover my forward arc and exposing my rear.

I'd rather see tanks being a dedicated driver and dedicated gunner setup and through the certification tree you can gain control over the main gun when lacking a gunner for I'm pretty sure no matter how good those tanks will be, they will never be as good as having a a dedicated driver and a dedicated gunner setup.
Old 2011-09-16, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Aractain
Major

Remember the locational damage...
Old 2011-09-16, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Initially outraged as a veteran Mag driver, but then I remember that it works in BF so why not here?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion