IMO KillCam killing the Game - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Batteries included
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: KillCam in Planetside2?
No-Go 198 72.53%
No Problem 75 27.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-31, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: IMO KillCam killing the Game

Meh, I don't care much either way.
I mostly find it interesting to watch what the guy is doing...I rarely ever simply do not know where I got shot from.
At least, I think the camera, when you die, should look from your position to the position the killing shot was fired from. Doesn't need to zoom or anything.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-01-31, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
EVILoHOMER
Major

I like the idea because it shows how you died and feels satisfying and you can also get a nice picture like in TF2.

My only problem comes with Squad spawning, I think that will have a bigger impact on the game. I just hope you wont be able to spawn on your squad mates in enemy territory or it'll become too easy to get around.
Old 2012-01-31, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zhane View Post
It's mind blowing to me that people are this worked up over something so minor.

It really doesn't matter either way.
Did you not read the thread or something? Typical implementations of killcams will have a significant impact on one of the major roles in the game. Now maybe you think snipers should have to move after every kill and that's fair enough, but to say it'll be the same either way? No. It will change how people play.
Old 2012-01-31, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Gortha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
no killcam. leave it as it was in ps1.

it served the purpose to decide if you would respawn or if there is any chance for a medic coming to heal you.

and if i get a killcam showing me how much effort someone put into a shot that killed me, it will just make me rage to see that purple noobs nonaimed accidentally AoE lasher shot got me killed. there is enough teabagging already. voicemakros are already confirmed, so there really is no need to put in another teabagging instance.

oh and when the killcam get´s binned and frees dev ressources, please use those for vehicle enter animations! then you hit 2 flys with one boltdriver. because both changes would recreate some of the massive immersion that i fear to vanish from planetside.
Ohh yes, please, use the free ressources for entering- and exiting-animations!

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2012-01-31, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by LZachariah View Post
Yes, exactly, Vancha! The KillCam being an Implant could give SOE tons of room to weave this game-feature back into the lore, and allow it to add immersion. Should we like, submit this to the Devs?
Sure. I'm all for retaining as much immersion as possible when it seems to be such a low priority on the devs' radar.
Old 2012-01-31, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Well, I wouldn't say that immersion is low on the Devs list of priorities, after all, they're submitting a LOT of text and backstory from multiple points of view, they made the ambiguous "common pool" weapons now come from Nanite Systems, to secure a place in the story for where that technology comes from, etc. I think they want more immersion; that's why I'm actually hopeful that they would consider this idea. That, and I do believe that if everyone had a killcam for free and by default, it WOULD be unbalancing. Especially in this UNIQUELY-real game, wherein a talented Sniper could hold himself or herself up in a tree and literally half an hour and score kills, IF they were talented enough.

One thing to consider is, for a game like MW, the matches can't be longer than like, 10 minutes or something, so learning a person's location is ultimately less important, because there's no real room for long-term plans and tactics. However, in Planetside 2, the ONLY game that closely-resembles ACTUAL WARFARE, positioning and patience are vital.

~Zachariah
Old 2012-01-31, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
EVILoHOMER
Major

I think there comes a point when SOE has to stop listening to the community and just do what they feel is right. They know the game better than us as they're developing it and we're only speculating.

I've played lots of MMOs in the past where players moaning on the forums have ruined the game, though I've played lots the developer has ruined them too. Star Wars Galaxies is a great example of both, the game was in the shitter long before the CU and NGE because of the forums. SOE listened to the players and just kept dumbing the game down slowly as people moaned it was too hard. The same thing happened to WoW to where Blizzard now tries to appeal to everyone and the game is a mess and it's happening to SWTOR.

So I'd rather SOE has their own plan and goals for the game rather than the player base. Just as long as they know what to listen to in the future, ignore players wanting changes for personal games like buffs and nerfs. Obviously don't put BFRs in the game if they go on test server and prove themselves to be broken lol.
Old 2012-01-31, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Zhane
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
I think there comes a point when SOE has to stop listening to the community and just do what they feel is right. They know the game better than us as they're developing it and we're only speculating.

I've played lots of MMOs in the past where players moaning on the forums have ruined the game, though I've played lots the developer has ruined them too. Star Wars Galaxies is a great example of both, the game was in the shitter long before the CU and NGE because of the forums. SOE listened to the players and just kept dumbing the game down slowly as people moaned it was too hard. The same thing happened to WoW to where Blizzard now tries to appeal to everyone and the game is a mess and it's happening to SWTOR.

So I'd rather SOE has their own plan and goals for the game rather than the player base. Just as long as they know what to listen to in the future, ignore players wanting changes for personal games like buffs and nerfs. Obviously don't put BFRs in the game if they go on test server and prove themselves to be broken lol.
More sense than anything else in this thread. While community feedback can be important, we're not game designers, and while you may know what you do or don't want, you do not and can not know what's best for the game. Let them do their jobs and make us a great game.

Armchair game designers = #1 pet peeve of mine
Old 2012-01-31, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

If it's just a camera shot of the person who killed you I don't see it game breaking. An actual rewind of how you died like in Call of Duty would be horrible though.

I don't think either one really belongs in PS, it doesn't fit with the rest of the game. We should know where that sniper bullet came from, or that Tank shell, or who's boomer that was.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-01-31 at 10:49 AM.
Old 2012-01-31, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Sure, in the end, i do NOT want the players to have more power than the Devs themselves, because it would ultimately be impossible to get everyone to agree on everything. I will still love Planetside 2 even if there are default, free KilCams for everyone (and actually, KillCams are one of my biggest worries about this game, and even then, it's pretty minor in comparison to everything I'm looking forward to).

~Zachariah
Old 2012-01-31, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post

Hell yes. Forum posters are not game experts. Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean its worth anything.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Gortha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zhane View Post
More sense than anything else in this thread. While community feedback can be important, we're not game designers, and while you may know what you do or don't want, you do not and can not know what's best for the game. Let them do their jobs and make us a great game.

Armchair game designers = #1 pet peeve of mine
We won´t become friends...

It seems like u are not able to look beyond the rim of your teacup.

A Kill-Cam, doesn´t matter how it´s implemented will change the way players will play. It´s free intel. There are enough examples written in this thread which explain the problems and the difference to no KillCam.

Regards
Gortha

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2012-01-31, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Snowfake
Private

I would rather do without it. I dont think it will make a big difference to the game, since 95% of the time we know where we got killed from. Guess it gives me something to watch while I wait to spawn :/
Maybe there can be a cert for cloakers/ snipers so when they kill someone there position is not given away... though would be annouying having to waste a cert.
Old 2012-01-31, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Shogun
Contributor
General

it´s just a wrong way to implement nifty "modern shooter stuff" just because other shooters have it, too.

killcams in an arena type or any arcade game are fine. in a warfare simulator like ps2 they just make no sense as long as they are not implemented into the lore like an implant that uses up a spot the soldier could use with other stuff.

i think people are fighting so hard for little things like that, because we fear the loss of immersion. it´s not just the little thing called killcam, it´s a lot of other things that sum up.
to mention just a few things that cut off immersion we know about so far:
killcams for no reason
spawning on squadleader
no holstered weapons
no vehicle enter animations
no possibility to scare off every enemy from a continent because of perm.footholds
and so on.
some of those things are necessary, like holstered weapons had to be sacrificed to get more players on the screen. so the immersion-lovers fight for every little part that is unnecessary or even senseless like killcams.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-01-31, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Miir
Malvision

They don't add anything to the game so I say no go.

But then again... what else do you have to do while you wait for your spawn timer to run down.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion