What Happened To The Bases... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: if accidently digested, consult a doctor
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-11, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
T MAN
Private

What Happened To The Bases...

I remember seeing this a long time ago and thought it looked great. A better improved PS1 base with buildings inside, etc. Now what im seeing is not like that at all, they gotten rid of the walls and sheilds and just better placement of things imo. Now looks more like team deathmatch as people here have been mentioning.

Maybe, im hopeing is that we have not heard all the infomation about upgrading bases, that would call from space and help fortify your base.
I remember Smedley pointing out the landing feet on that building in the first reveal.

Well see with coming soon beta i guess, can't wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jsqpf.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120521_4fbad066ab4d4.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	762  
Old 2012-07-11, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Re: What Happened To The Bases...

I believe there are different types with walls and without, also could be that they want it to be a more combined arms battle within the bases.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
fod
Master Sergeant

i noticed this also but i just guessed (hoped) it was a different type of base or something

i dont mind some open style base
i dont mind some closed in style bases (like the one in the first picture)
i DONT want ALL of them open or closed in - give us variety
Old 2012-07-11, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

If you look at the hi-rez map of indar, there's 2 bases that are 80% surrounded by walls.

The others are between 0% walls and 30% walled in.
Old 2012-07-11, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by fod View Post
i noticed this also but i just guessed (hoped) it was a different type of base or something

i dont mind some open style base
i dont mind some closed in style bases (like the one in the first picture)
i DONT want ALL of them open or closed in - give us variety
I second that.
Old 2012-07-11, 02:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

I disagree. The more walled bases the better. You can find deathmatch areas at the lower tiered facilities.
Old 2012-07-11, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

While we haven't seen much of the whole base wall thing in recent footage, we also haven't heard anything on the subject other than that some bases will be walled in and some won't be. That may have changed, but there isn't sufficient reason to believe so at the moment.

Also remember that base layouts are very modular this time around. They can easily add, subtract, and move around walls at will. This means several things.

For one thing, no two bases need be too similar. While there are only 3 major types of large base structure, they will each be surrounded by a unique layout of smaller structures.

It also means we will be able to have odd layouts where the geography is incorporated into the base layout, creating defensive locations totally unlike anything in the first Planetside.

And finally, the ease of modifying base layouts means that if the open bases end up being horrible fights where defenders just get hopelessly steamrolled all the time, they can easily add some walls back in.
Old 2012-07-11, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Russ
Corporal

Having all the basses the same creates more a static gameplay. assaulting every base is no different than the other. So by changing it up it allows offence to have an edge or defense, maybe even neither. It keeps gameplay varied enough so it doesn't seem repetitive and adds a uniqueness to each base. Not to mention giving tactical differences for both defense and offence to adapt and change to

I like them all being different. Down to every last boulder and shrub. And the developers are showing this as well.
Old 2012-07-11, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Zidane
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Having all the basses the same creates more a static gameplay. assaulting every base is no different than the other. So by changing it up it allows offence to have an edge or defense, maybe even neither. It keeps gameplay varied enough so it doesn't seem repetitive and adds a uniqueness to each base. Not to mention giving tactical differences for both defense and offence to adapt and change to

I like them all being different. Down to every last boulder and shrub. And the developers are showing this as well.
I agree, by making all the bases different it will always allow for different types of assaults and defenses.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
I agree, by making all the bases different it will always allow for different types of assaults and defenses.
There are plenty of ways to change a base without removing walls, though.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

Of course walls don't have to be attached to bases, they could make a Hadrian's wall across the map.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Raymac
Brigadier General

You've got to be kidding me. Having a walled in area would be WAY more of a "deathmatch" arena than the layout Zurvan, for example, has now. You honestly think being surrounded by walls would make the game feel bigger??

Also, look at the terrain around that base. The hills and the buildings essentially create barriers and bottlenecks, but they do so in a much more organic way than freaking walls. I think it is brilliant design to be able to basically "hide" barriers.

Old 2012-07-11, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
You've got to be kidding me. Having a walled in area would be WAY more of a "deathmatch" arena than the layout Zurvan, for example, has now. You honestly think being surrounded by walls would make the game feel bigger??

Also, look at the terrain around that base. The hills and the buildings essentially create barriers and bottlenecks, but they do so in a much more organic way than freaking walls. I think it is brilliant design to be able to basically "hide" barriers.
I don't think you understand what walled combat is. It doesn't just delay some inevitable deathmatch, it completely changes the pace of the battle.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Littleman
First Lieutenant

I think walls will be subject to the natural barriers surrounding the base, as Raymac insinuated. Remember, we call them bases, but they're more like facilities. To me, the tech plant is the closest thing to arguably being an actual military grade base, while Amp stations look like power plants and Bio labs more like terra-formers.

Coincidentally, I think all of the access points are to further discourage the possibility of the defense getting locked into their base once the offense pushes into the courtyard. Likewise however, it makes defense harder. Both sides will need to fight like they're on the offense in PS2, turning it into a game of whom can push against whom harder.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rabaan
Corporal

....They are all belong to us?

but seriously, i agree with the others, the different types of bases encourage different kinds of game play.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion