Downsize Servers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: In regular and extra strength.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-07-15, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CrazyCrazy
Corporal

Downsize Servers

I think it's time to merge Konried into Emerald, and Johari into Markov. I play on Konried, Johari and Emerald. Being on the first 2 there's 2 simple reasons why I think this needs to be done.

1) you really have to be on at a specific time of day to find a decent battle (I'm not talking about zerging here). This makes the game less fun, and as people get to BR 20 CR 5, they will find this game falls short. Unless they have good tactical warfare to satisfy their bloodlust and that puzzle-solving craving we all have, the subscriber base will continue to drop.

2) Sony overestimeated the number of subscribers, and now wiht SWG out, and the Matrix coming out soon, you can expect PS to stay at about the same number of subscribers or (knocks on wood) continue ot decline.

Let's get realistic. The size of each continent is huge, and whilst small squads playing agaisnt each other can be fun, even that happens less likely than it should. I don't know what would be involved in transferring all the character infoto another server, but its high time for a little downsizing.

If by some chance the subscriber base goes up, SOE can always add additional servers to accomadate new players.

Last edited by CrazyCrazy; 2003-07-15 at 01:19 AM.
Old 2003-07-15, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
slytiger
Staff Sergeant

Maybe not combine them but if one crashes then allow the other one to become operational to still allow the customers to use their service in their region without using another slower region's server.
Old 2003-07-15, 01:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
SkintInc
Private

Ehh. Sorry, im new to the game but can you only go up to br20? Or is that when the game begins to get very hard and you can't find anything to do? *Shrugs* I dunno
Old 2003-07-15, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
CrazyCrazy
Corporal

Yes BR 20 and CR 5 is the maximum you can go. Somone said they might increse this later, but that would be a lame way to keep people addicted to this game. I see a lot of potential for entertaining things to do other than level.
Old 2003-07-15, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Re: Downsize Servers

Originally posted by CrazyCrazy

2) Sony overestimeated the number of subscribers, and now wiht SWG out, and the Matrix coming out soon, you can expect PS to stay at about the same number of subscribers or (knocks on wood) continue ot decline.
As I recall, when PS first opened (before SWG was released), Emerald was SWAMPED nightly. To the point that each night I logged in, the population bar was 5 yellow dots. You can NOT tell me the over-estimated. SWG might have knocked that down a notch but they did not over-estimate the number of subscribers for their first month.

If you have a hard time finding battles, join Emerald. If everyone does that, Emerald will basically consolidate. There's also no reason to NOT play on more than one server and pick the one with the most people as you see fit.
Old 2003-07-15, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
pauljar1
Sergeant

I agree, but disagree...

I agree that joining Emerald would probably solve the problems of not being able to find a good battle other then following the zerg, but, to be completely honest, I only have one character and he's BR18, CR2 and I don't want to start all over and build a new character from scratch...I shouldn't have to.

I believe it should be SOE to take care of this issue, not me.

Just my opinion...

Thanks.
Old 2003-07-15, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MercFox1
Staff Sergeant

They oughta hold the Planetside games! Once every month SOE engages the PS Games where every Empire is represented by a group of people.

Sort of like the olympic games! I would love to go there and do wraith races or marksman contests or Gal jumping (jumping out of a galat max height!)

Old 2003-07-15, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Re: I agree, but disagree...

Originally posted by pauljar1
I agree that joining Emerald would probably solve the problems of not being able to find a good battle other then following the zerg, but, to be completely honest, I only have one character and he's BR18, CR2 and I don't want to start all over and build a new character from scratch...I shouldn't have to.

I believe it should be SOE to take care of this issue, not me.
The problem is that where you see an issue, SOE does not.
Old 2003-07-15, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
CrazyCrazy
Corporal

Re: Re: Downsize Servers

Originally posted by Bad Mojo
As I recall, when PS first opened (before SWG was released), Emerald was SWAMPED nightly. To the point that each night I logged in, the population bar was 5 yellow dots. You can NOT tell me the over-estimated. SWG might have knocked that down a notch but they did not over-estimate the number of subscribers for their first month.

If you have a hard time finding battles, join Emerald. If everyone does that, Emerald will basically consolidate. There's also no reason to NOT play on more than one server and pick the one with the most people as you see fit.

I DO play on Emerald, read above. However, I play a VS char on emerald, and would like to try out other empire's as well, that's why I play on the grossly underpopulated Konried and Johari.

The population bar was 5 yellow dots, true, but how many continents were ever locked at one time? If there weren't at elast 4 continents locked simultaneously during peak hours, I hardly consider that swamped.

Besides, I am talking about SOE overestimating the subscriber base in the long run by adding too many servers. Konried and Johari are rarely at 3 dots, even efore SWG was released.
Old 2003-07-15, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Searo
Second Lieutenant

I never follow the zerg so it doesn't matter anyway. Yesterday with only two dots in Markov and Konried I had a blast. On Markov I grabbed a squad and we helped lock down Cyssor. Meanwhile Hossin was a lagfest, and the commanders kept yelling "All squads come to Hossin" using the ever popular lag the continent so much the other empire's computers explode tactic.

I LIKE low population. It eliminates lag, and makes zerging rarer. I know now to always avoid continents that have less than 100+ available slots.

This is just a laggy Reaver pilot's point of view.
Old 2003-07-15, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Emerald is just fine. You wanna consolidate? Do it somewhere else.

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-07-15, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Re: Re: Re: Downsize Servers

Originally posted by CrazyCrazy

Besides, I am talking about SOE overestimating the subscriber base in the long run by adding too many servers. Konried and Johari are rarely at 3 dots, even efore SWG was released.
Either

1) They plan long term to only have enough people for 1 server. The game opens, twice that many show up, the server suffers horrible lag and now TWICE as many people leave for SWG leaving the one server even LESS populated.

or

2) They plan on meeting the demand at peak populations with two servers so gameplay isn't a total loss due to lag. Then, when SWG hits, the two servers have low and moderate population levels.

If PS merges the servers now, what will they do if SWG people start to return or new waves of people come in? Do they add a server and re-merge as the population shifts? I know from my own experience in the IT world that doing that would constitute a "nightmare" scenario. They would spend more time moving characters around and solving naming conflicts than working on the game.
Old 2003-07-15, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
pauljar1
Sergeant

BadMojo:

I'm not sure what your character stats are (BR & CR), but I've been playing once character since launch. I'm not a firm believer in creating multiple characters. I just swap certs in and out every 24 hours and try different roles.

But, simply said, if Konreid continues down this path, where there are two population dots at peak time and the only time you can find a good battle is to go to a locked continent to follow the zerg, it will begin to become an issue in the minds of the players.

Some players don't mind following the zerg, but, me personally, I like the squad fights...more of a 10 on 10 or even 20 on 20. Less lag and more personal and up close fighting. It's just more fun to me. I love this game, believe me, I truly love this game. My girlfriend is starting to think that I'd rather be playing rather than be with her...which isn't true.

Anyway, back to my point...I understand it's my own fault for not creating a character on Emerald in future thought of population sizes, but I think that this will become an issue in the minds of the players down the road, if, during peak time, there is only one blue dot, and their player is a BR20 and CR3 or something like that. Starting over is not a fun thing. Not sure if you played EQ, but starting over with a new character there was a complete chore and not entirely welcome.

Ok, I'm done rambling...

Thank all for listening!
Old 2003-07-15, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Trebor95
First Sergeant

Can I add a point, probably not relevant but hey.

I am from the UK, we have one server that EVERYONE in western, southern, northern, eastern Europe connects to.

Surely the US can do with 1 or 2 less servers. Which would increase the fun people have, I mean the servers are supposed to handle load so there shouldn't be any problems with lag etc. (although I know there always is )
Old 2003-07-15, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
pauljar1
Sergeant

I mean the servers are supposed to handle load so there shouldn't be any problems with lag etc. (although I know there always is )
You're absolutely right. There shouldn't be any lag, but there is.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion